CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

So it dropped from estimates.

If there is any silver lining for MJ it's that schools are starting to close for the Thanksgiving break. A few counties in middle TN are out all this week. Others take off Tuesday. I'd wager that patter is simlar nation wide so it's dailies are going to look better. It's drop a bit softer tomorrow. 

In hindsight it was pretty ridiculous of us to expect such a massive OW out of IM2 when the first didn't even hit 100. Nothing remotely ridiculous about expecting 150m out of MJ1 though.

What happened was everything seemed in "place for IM2" to open huge but clearly the hype was not there unlike for example for IM3. 

In retrospect in todays climate its opening would be over 148 million in 3D. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I'm not that sure, but in the Cartoon Sleeping Beauty didn't the Prince only have 2 lines in the middle of the movie before never speaking again?

You are thinking of Maleficent, where all the males were useless and Prince Phillip had like three lines total. In the animated movie Phillip did a bunch of stuff, and I would consider the second most important character after the three fairies.

• Like 5

What happened was everything seemed in "place for IM2" to open huge but clearly the hype was not there unlike for example for IM3. 

In retrospect in todays climate its opening would be over 148 million in 3D. 

IM2 did open great, it is just that its legs sucked. Not surprising since the movie wasn't any good. :ph34r:

• Like 1

To be fair the IM2 and Im3 opened big but had bad legs.

It was just that IM3 finished over 400 million, thus even if its legs were bad it was a hefty and respectable total.

and of course it made more than IM1 and IM2 combined WW :blink:  :blink:  

If there is any silver lining for MJ it's that schools are starting to close for the Thanksgiving break. A few counties in middle TN are out all this week. Others take off Tuesday. I'd wager that patter is simlar nation wide so it's dailies are going to look better. It's drop a bit softer tomorrow. 

Same as last year. If you want to know how Mockingjay's weekdays will perform, just look at Catching Fire.

• Like 2

You are thinking of Maleficent, where all the males were useless and Prince Phillip had like three lines total. In the animated movie Phillip did a bunch of stuff, and I would consider the second most important character after the three fairies.

yeah Sleeping beauty probably ranks 4th after the 3  fairies, Prince Phillip and Maleficent. She's the one who doesn't actually have that many lines lol. But yeah in Maleficent the prince character was completely useless. There was no point to him.

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

yeah Sleeping beauty probably ranks 4th after the 3  fairies, Prince Phillip and Maleficent. She's the one who doesn't actually have that many lines lol. But yeah in Maleficent the prince character was completely useless. There was no point to him.

Sleeping Beauty might rank 5th after Samson, Philip's horse.  :lol: 

Still, LOVE the movie.  Beautiful animation and Tchaikovsky.

• Like 1

I call this historical revisionism.

MJ1 may have been a place holder but everyone thought the might of the franchise would allow box office numbers to remain pretty high.

Anyone who says under 350 or even 300 was possibile is lying.

Both underperformed for similar reasons, poor marketing, quality not as great, not much novelty to attract interest.

In not "revisioning" thank you, Im just letting know you this movie felt like a placeholder for the big, bad finale. Edited by Jandrew In The Mist

In not "revisioning" thank you, Im just letting know you this movie felt like a placeholder for the big, bad finale.

Still it should have done much better no matter how much Monday quarterbacking to make it seem otherwise. 

To me it seems the franchise has lot interest with a large segment of casual fans who seemed find the Revolution a bore in comparison to the games. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I'm pretty sure many people have written off 2014 as a "slump" year. ;)

Oh, it's a disappointment, no doubt, but I think that has more to do with the movies themselves not being that enticing. In 2010, the entire box office seemed to be affected rather than individual films. Everything was underperforming.

Edit: And actually, not just 2010. 2011 played out pretty similarly with a couple exceptions.

Edited by Jawa

Oh, it's a disappointment, no doubt, but I think that has more to do with the movies themselves not being that enticing. In 2010, the entire box office seemed to be affected rather than individual films. Everything was underperforming.

Edit: And actually, not just 2010. 2011 played out pretty similarly with a couple exceptions.

I don't think this is true. At least That's not how I remember it, just up until the end of summer; Alice in wonderland, fast five, karate kid, toy story 3, eclipse, despicable me, inception, grown-ups. Definitely never considered these to be underperformers.

• Like 1