A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

They've dabbed with hand-drawn animation with The Prince of Egypt :P

Don't forget Spirit! :lol: In all seriousness, this one looks more it would work more like Pixar's Day and Night, where they actually mix in the 2 different types of animation in the same scenes.

The film’s director is veteran story artist and animator Alessandro Carloni, who served as head of story on How to Train Your Dragon and who is directing for the first time. The original director of the film back when the project was announced in 2010 was Mark Dindal (The Emperor’s New Groove, Cats Don’t Dance), but he appears to no longer be involved.

I wonder what happened to Mark Dindal?

I suspect there would be more gnashing of teeth if someone like Dean DeBlois were the one kicked off instead of a more modest name like Dindal.And it seems relatively similar to what happened with Chris Sanders and American Dog. If they've only done test work so far and are planning an early 2014 release, it looks like the animators will be under just as much pressure as the ones on Bolt.

Edited by tribefan695

We don't know if he pulled himself or whether management pulled him off the project. What I read was that they were having technical problems a year ago so they put the project on hold (project almost canceled) which doesn't surprise me considering what they are trying to do (mix of hand draw/CG animation).BTW, the Stanley Grubb character is portrayed perfectly because he's supposed to be a timid guy with an extreme aversion to adventure.

Edited by iEye

Me? You must be thinking of someone else. :PI bet that project is probably percolating somewhere deep within DWA's caves. At the San Diego Comic-Con, they said they've got about 19 or so projects all gestating there at the studio.

Edited by iEye

DWA has a lot of projects in development, some get moved back or moved forward. They've got the Monkeys of Mumbai, the film with music by A R Rahman and Stephen Schwartz which I imagine will be a Spring or Winter release in 2015 or 2016.With DWA doing up to three animated films a year, I wonder how long before one of them completely flops given that most animation companies to 1-2 a year max.