A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

I thought you were talking about that godawful live action version. Though I can't say I'd be all that optimistic about an Illumination adaptation either. Anyway, SpongeBob may not have been a masterpiece, but it's no worse than the big studios' less impressive efforts. And as far as I'm aware the show is still very popular.Back on topic, Dreamworks is acquiring Classic Media for $150 millionhttp://www.variety.c...1118056639.html

Edited by tribefan695

They own Waldo, so what would happen to Universal's animated version?EDIT: I read that not all versions of the properties are owned.

Waldo? You mean, like "Where's Waldo?" Hmm... with all the animated features coming out, he's bound to get lost in the crowd.(heh heh. U see what I did there?)

Smart moves IMO. They're not surefire hits, but they'll have some properties to merchandise if needed since they're a relatively "small business."Before anybody says "don't kill my childhood like Michael Bay is doing!" like my first instinct usually is, I was rewatching He-Man last year on Netflix and man was that garbage, so honestly there's not much to destroy there... More than likely they'll improve on it. I remember loving it as a kid though. Looking back I think I must have just really been sucked in by how cool the characters looked and so I wanted all the toys. If DWA can push He-Man into modern times and get the merchandising money from it, they'll have some nice cash flow to help produce their movies.

Found a more complete list and it's very impressive. Good timing with Peabody and Sherman because the movie is coming out next year anyway.Here is the huge catalog of animated characters that Dreamworks Animation is bidding on:

Archie, Baby Huey, Basil Brush, Boris & Natasha, Bravestarr, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Dick Tracy, Doctor Solar Man of the Atom, Dudley Do-Right, Ethelbert the Tiger, Fabulous Funnies, Fat Albert, Felix the Cat, Finley the Fire Engine, Fractured Fairy Tales, Frosty the Snowman, George of the Jungle, Gerald McBoing Boing, Godzilla, Groovie Gollies, Guess with Jess, Gumby, He-Man, Hot Stuff, Lamb Chop, Lassie, The Little Drummer Boy, Little Golden Books, Little Lulu, The Lone Ranger, Magnus Robot Fighter, Mr. Magoo, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Pat the Bunny, Peter Cottontail, Postman Pat, Richie Rich, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Roger Ramjet, The Roy Rogers Show, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Rupert Bear, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, The Secrets of Isis, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, Shazam!, She-Ra, Tinga Tinga Tales, Transformers: Animated, Turok, Underdog, Voltron, Wendy the Good Little Witch, Where's Waldo?

Not to be a wet blanket, but apparently there could be some issues...

Classic Media has a number of prominent characters in its portfolio, the company does not control all of the rights associated with those properties. That limits the value of the company, since it may not receive lucrative licensing fees for some of its more coveted holdings.

I still think it's a good move, like Disney buying Marvel. But like Disney/Marvel, sounds like it could take some time before DWA acquires full rights to all the characters. Luckily for them, none of those are as marketable as Spiderman so they probably won't meet as much resistance to getting full rights like Disney gets from Sony and FOX.

Disney's probably not going to give Lone Ranger up right now.

Yep, that's one of the ones I was thinking of... DWA would probably love to make a movie about that. Perfect buddy movie, could probably draw a big audience.

Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Probably the same thing that happened/happens to all the Marvel movies being developed by other studios not named Disney... They keep the rights until the contract runs out or until there is a violation of the contract.

• Like 1