A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

I've long suspected you have an anti-Pixar bias, but this just about confirms it. I don't even have anything against Antz and for a long time preferred it to A Bug's Life, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it was produced in direct response to A Bug's Life. That was a time when Katzenberg was excessively bitter about leaving Disney and wanted to get back at them.With Boo and Monsters Inc it's far more of a stretch. First of all it was one of the ideas conceived at that iconic "roundtable" meeting among the braintrust who as far as I'm aware had zero connection to anyone at Dreamworks at the time. It's possible that it might have been an idea that Katzenberg had floated while he was there and Pete Docter ran with it, but to go from that to "ripoff" is highly unfair, especially since we still have no clue what the actual story of BOO will be. And if it does turn out to be highly similar to Monsters Inc then I think Dreamworks deserves blame for not spending that fourteen+ years of development making the film more unique.EDIT: Well, I see you edited the sarcastic "sure". Your new response is far less contentious.

Edited by tribefan695

Interesting how this schedule isn't anchored by sequels like Pixar's schedule is these days. The KFP sequel is obligatory because of KFP2's cliffhanger (DVD sales were not good) and we've known a Penguins movie was in development for a while. But clearly they're expecting HTTYD to be their real 'franchise' and the rest of the schedule is chock full of original films and concepts.

• Like 1

They may end up moving it should Avatar 2 show some real progression. Probably just a week later, though.DWA's position right now is pretty unprecedented. I don't think any animation studio has been able to churn out quality entertainment at the rate they're planning on doing it up to this point. The list really needs to be seen to be able to comprehend its magnitude:The Croods - March 22, 2013Turbo – July 19, 2013Mr. Peabody & Sherman - November 1, 2013Me And My Shadow – March 14, 2014How To Train Your Dragon 2 – June 20, 2014Happy Smekday! – November 26, 2014The Penguins Of Madagascar – March 27, 2015Trolls (working title) – June 5, 2015B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations – November 6, 2015Mumbai Musical (working title) – December 19, 2015Kung Fu Panda 3 – March 18, 2016How To Train Your Dragon 3 – June 18, 2016

It would be nothing short of incredible if they can pull that off. But it does seem like overkill.
  • Like 1

The Pixar Touch fleshes out Katzenberg's bitterness towards Disney and his persistence in fast-tracking Antz's production schedule so as to get the film out a month before A Bug's Life. There's a quote from a Pixar animator about how if it was any other CGI movie they would have closed down the studio for the day to go out and see it.

• Like 1

Interesting how this schedule isn't anchored by sequels like Pixar's schedule is these days. The KFP sequel is obligatory because of KFP2's cliffhanger (DVD sales were not good) and we've known a Penguins movie was in development for a while. But clearly they're expecting HTTYD to be their real 'franchise' and the rest of the schedule is chock full of original films and concepts.

On the other hand, if their production schedule was limited to the amount of films Pixar does, I think they'd choose making the sequels over the originals.
  • Like 1

I've long suspected you have an anti-Pixar bias, but this just about confirms it. I don't even have anything against Antz and for a long time preferred it to A Bug's Life, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it was produced in direct response to A Bug's Life. That was a time when Katzenberg was excessively bitter about leaving Disney and wanted to get back at them.With Boo and Monsters Inc it's far more of a stretch. First of all it was one of the ideas conceived at that iconic "roundtable" meeting among the braintrust who as far as I'm aware had zero connection to anyone at Dreamworks at the time. It's possible that it might have been an idea that Katzenberg had floated while he was there and Pete Docter ran with it, but to go from that to "ripoff" is highly unfair, especially since we still have no clue what the actual story of BOO will be. And if it does turn out to be highly similar to Monsters Inc then I think Dreamworks deserves blame for not spending that fourteen+ years of development making the film more unique.

Relax Tribe, I wasn't being serious with it all but when Neo said what he said I just sort of couldn't help it. I actually had to go back and look that at the word he used and just repeated it. I don't think what I said at all.Edit: BTW, I wasn't talking about Monsters Inc and Boo U. It was Neo who suggested that Boo U was possibly going to be perceived as a ripoff of MU. Edited by iEye

Relax Tribe, I wasn't being serious with it all but when Neo said what he said I just sort of couldn't help it. I actually had to go back and look that at the word he used and just repeated it. I don't think what I said at all.

Apologies, then. You've usually stayed on the right side of reasonable and this was the first time you'd implied something bad about Pixar that I thought was really outlandish.

^^^ Can you please start a thread on that movie and only speak about it in that thread so I don't have to read about it.PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease I beg you PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease :ban:

Edited by iEye

I had no idea my thoughts on Me and My Shadow were so provocative. I'm just kind of ambivalent about the film right now. Turbo is the one that I really make fun of (although Troll may take that honor once we get some stills)

Edited by tribefan695

Comingsoon.net has much more details on the cast and crewhttp://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=94563Seems Penguins of Madagascar is not being directed by Tom McGrath but Simon J. Smith. Trolls is being directed by Anand Tucker, Kevin Lima is doing the Mumbai Musical and Jennifer Yuh-Nelson is returning for Kung Fu Panda 3.

Edited by tribefan695

Sure enough "Anand Tucker" is mentioned in the Wikipedia link here: http://en.wikipedia....he_Nome_Trilogy and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anand_Tucker

Plans to move forward with DreamWorks' adaptation have resurfaced in 2010 since the announcement that Legend of the Guardians screenwriter John Orloff is currently penning the script for director Anand Tucker.

Edited by iEye