grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got back from seeing it, loved the hell out of this. Pure escapism at its best, and a ton of fun. Great action, lots of good gags, and a heck of a lot of heart. Can't wait to see it again. 

How's the 3D? 

Just now, wildphantom said:

Saw it tonight. 

Felt it was more aimed at a younger audience - and nothing wrong with that. As messy as it was knockout brilliant. 

Minor Spielberg but still a lot of fun. 

Even minor Spielberg is still top notch. 

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Definitely. Put it this way. Nobody could have made a better film out of that book than him. 

I think Zemeckis would be have been good had they not secured Spielberg although he's a lot more hit and miss. 

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think Zemeckis would be have been good had they not secured Spielberg although he's a lot more hit and miss. 

The opening set piece is gobsmacking. Only Spielberg could have dreamt it up. The places he puts the camera in that volume. Wow. 

Lots of forum dwellers are going to have a surprisingly good time when they see this. Plenty of annoying elements to it for sure, but it’s something to see alright. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The opening set piece is gobsmacking. Only Spielberg could have dreamt it up. The places he puts the camera in that volume. Wow. 

Lots of forum dwellers are going to have a surprisingly good time when they see this. Plenty of annoying elements to it for sure, but it’s something to see alright. 

I've seen a lot of complaint that it diverges from the book but that to be expected as it's an adaptation and Spielberg has always make changes. 

Also, how is Mark Rylance and Simon Pegg? 

Edited by Jonwo

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've seen a lot of complaint that it diverges from the book but that to be expected as it's an adaptation and Spielberg has always make changes. 

Also, how is Mark Rylance and Simon Pegg? 

Both good. Particularly Rylance. 

Oh the stuff he’s thrown out and replaced was necessary, trust me. 

The visual storytelling to explain the premise and rules to the audience is so impressive. Feels effortless. 

Good time at the movies. For anyone wondering if they should take their kids - absolutely do. It’s a family movie for sure. 

In fact, kids will be it’s biggest fans - which is kind of ironic seeing as most of the boatload of references will fly over their heads. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Both good. Particularly Rylance. 

Oh the stuff he’s thrown out and replaced was necessary, trust me. 

The visual storytelling to explain the premise and rules to the audience is so impressive. Feels effortless. 

Good time at the movies. For anyone wondering if they should take their kids - absolutely do. It’s a family movie for sure. 

In fact, kids will be it’s biggest fans - which is kind of ironic seeing as most of the boatload of references will fly over their heads. 

I am assuming the references are skewed Warner Bros and Amblin heavy. It is great to hear that's this a fun movie because Spielberg can do fun really well. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I am assuming the references are skewed Warner Bros and Amblin heavy. It is great to hear that's this a fun movie because Spielberg can do fun really well. 

That’s probably fair. There’s characters dotted all over the place though that nobody will fully pick up until it comes out on Blu-ray. 

It’s fun like Tintin was. Not quite as good as that movie in my book, but I’ll be seeing it again when it opens next week. 

• Like 1

Someone in here some days ago said that the gaming references were targeted at the 70's, 80's gamer. I've just read the list of references and it actually targets all of the last 30 years, anyone whose a gamer will understand most of them. So who've thought that, they were wrong.

not really a spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway, just movie reference not in the trailers

Spoiler

a Na'Vi appears :shades:

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Interesting discussion on the movie and how the marketing has been:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2018/03/18/ugh-fine-well-see-ready-player-one

I kept rolling my eyes throughout this clip until I finally had to close it half-way through. But hey, they also "rolled their eyes" at the stuff they read about the book(no they didn't even read the book themselves) for example so it's fair game for me to do the same right back at them.

I guess I'll just stay over here quietly bursting with excitement over the stuff I've been reading about this movie from the people who actually watched it and feeling very smug about its critical reception while videos and articles about its "backlash" keep coming out.

Edited by Arlborn