grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Steven Spielberg the producer with Amblin, is also an interesting conversation, without the Berg,  no 5 Bayformers movies.

Hail The Berg !

He went after Bay to destroy earth with giant robots.

Genius.

Also, Zemeckis, his mot brilliant pupil/padawan.

etc

His relationship with ILM tells you also the history of visual effects : War Horse & Tintin were his first non-ILM movies which informed you the VFX industry had changed forever = more players able to do ILM level quality work.

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Well, Michal Bay got Robocalypse & Nolan got Interstellar.

Hell you could do a whole list of almost-Spielberg movies that went to others instead. CAPE FEAR (Scorsese), RAIN MAN (Levinson, who won an Oscar for it), AMERICAN SNIPER (Eastwood), etc. 

13 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Shia is slightly less awful than the girl and Short Round, and the only fun sequence in Doom is the opening.

both suck tho

What, no love for that rope bridge sequence? 

• Like 2

Just now, RRA said:

What, no love for that rope bridge sequence? 

Plenty to quibble about in terms of awkward and backward representation and characters for sure, and also for sheer nastiness in an ostensibly family-oriented movie, but the action sequences in TOD are second to none. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

So I guess it doesn't suck? Seems they had enough faith in it to premiere it at SXSW and it's at a 74% on RT.

Still really looking forward to it despite the stupid posters. Just glad to hear it has the classic Spielberg touch. I knew it was wrong to write it off like so many here seemed to be doing a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll end up hating it but I doubt it. I think it will be fun.

So far been right on with my predictions on which blockbuster will be good or not this year. I knew Wrinkle In Time would suck and Tomb Raider doesn't look to be fairing any better. And doubt Pacific Rim gets good reviews.

This will probably be the first time I head to the theater since Annihilation and I hope it continues that good run.

I mentioned this before but release wise, it's in a very good position as BP will on its seventh week of release so audiences will be ready for a new blockbuster especially if the rest of the March releases don't do well

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wish he handed this one off to michael bay as well. gosh what a think piece fueler that would've been.

WB had a shortlist of Robert Zemeckis, Peter Jackson, Edgar Wright and even Christopher Nolan before they landed Spielberg

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

1. Jaws

2. Raiders

3. AI

4. Duel

5. Close Encounters

6. Schindler's List

7. Catch Me If You Can

8. Jurassic Park

9. Temple of Doom

10. The Last Crusade

11. The BFG

12. Bridge of Spies

13. Munich

14. Lincoln

15. Minority Report

16. The Sugarland Express

17. E.T.

18. Saving Private Ryan

19. The Terminal

20. War of the Worlds

21. The Adventures of Tintin

22. The Lost World

23. Crystal Skull

24. Hook

The first 3 I would say are masterpieces, the first 16 are films that I would gladly revisit. Myself surprised at how high Duel is, but when it comes down to it there's really nothing about it I don't like. His leanest and meanest. 

Hook is one of the most underrated movies of the last 30 years. There's very little to hate about it unless you just hate childhood. The score is a classic and all of the performances are on point. Effects are mediocre but it's the 90's so who cares. 

Edit: So is War of the Worlds for that matter. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, HerediTele said:

I'm all for hot takes but I'd love to get some reasoning behind this. :lol: 

I agree. As a 28 year old who only watched the OT 12 or so years ago i always found TOD the worst. Indy 4 may have had the nuke scene but the kther main complaint of Aliens was actually not a problem at all for me. I never understood the complaint, cup of immortality, spirits of death and the removal of hearts were all good but Aliens was where we draw the line? 

Regardless The last Crusade is my fav, Sean Connery was a great edition

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I mentioned this before but release wise, it's in a very good position as BP will on its seventh week of release so audiences will be ready for a new blockbuster especially if the rest of the March releases don't do well

WB had a shortlist of Robert Zemeckis, Peter Jackson, Edgar Wright and even Christopher Nolan before they landed Spielberg

And not much in head of it until Rampage if it ends up getting good WOM

• Like 1

And man, if this honestly becomes a gender thing and the film is reviewed differently because of it, that's really lame. Why can't critics just review films as the films they are? Leave that stuff out and watch the movie. They are supposed to be professionals.

I'm not saying that is happening or isn't going to happen but if it does, it's a really bad look.