The Iron Lady

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Iron Lady

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Meryl Streep was good but most of the movie isn't actually of her in action as Thatcher, it's her as a very old lady after she hasn't been PM for a long time. It's very slow and dull during those moments. But during the Falkland Islands conflict thing it's really great. However she deff does not deserve her third Oscar for this. The crowd was old but not as old as The King's Speech.

If not the worst film of 2011, it is the worst script of 2011. I have no idea what I just watched. I saw a 45 minute stretch where Old Thatcher moped about her dead husband and her senility and halucinations were the only part of the story. Then I watched some really terrible cuts that went from her old life, to her 24 year old life to her prime minister life. Who wrote this and how did anyone think this was a good and gripping story? Absolutely horrendous.0/10

• Like 1

Bad!

Thatcher's political career is indeed very good material for a great political drama.

But this one just picks some aspects of her personal attributes and mashes them together to a horrible movie with Streep doing a parody instead of a portrayal (at least for the younger Thatcher... the portrayal of the old Thatcher is quite moving in some parts).

Watch the great documentary "Thatcher - The Downing Street Years" instead. I dislike most of Thatcher's political beliefs with a passion... but her approach to politics makes for great drama and her career is intruiging. 

I hope there will be a great movie about her career and life soon... this was not it!

D+

• Like 2

Re-watched it yesterday... my D+ stays the same but I was even more upset that Streep got an Oscar for this parody.

But Meryl Streep was good in it so she did deserve an Oscar, its hardly fair claiming she shouldn't have won because the film is bad, that should have no impact. If anything its impressive that she gave such a good performance out of such a shitty script, she should have won 2 Oscars.

She was a plague to humanity along with Reagan .

I think we can all agree whatever we may think of Reagan and Thatcher politically.

In terms of strong leadership, they put Bush, Obama, Brown and Cameron to shame. 

I agree it was a poor movie. 

I highly doubt they would make a Obama focusing on his personal issues. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I think we can all agree whatever we may think of Reagan and Thatcher politically.

In terms of strong leadership, they put Bush, Obama, Brown and Cameron to shame.

I agree it was a poor movie.

I highly doubt they would make a Obama focusing on his personal issues.

That's because there were communist nations those days so people were ready to accept anything to avoid "the communist threat" . The friends of Pinochet , that says everything . Edited by Thrylos 7

It wastes a monumental potential for not focusing on her political life.  Meryl Streep phenomenal (as usual) keeps it from being a total bore. +45/100

It's almost criminal how this great woman doesn't have a great movie about her.
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Such a waste. Meryl may be hammy at times but for the most part she completely inhabits the part. There's no other actress on earth that can so completely make me forget I'm watching a performance. She is scarily spot on.

There is a fascinating movie to be made about Thatcher and Britain in the 80s. Pride is probably one of the best recent films to explore that era. It's a shame this glossed over so much of the impact of Thatchers rule (good and bad).