Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

I'm not comforted in the choice of the writer. Yes I know he was just one of the many writers of Green Lantern but that script was a mess. So I take it it'll be a reduced budget since it'll be just Shaw and David going to find "Paradise"?

I think the problem with Prometheus (and, similarly, Alien 3 & 4) is that the potential for a completely riveting tale is there, including huge questions like where did we come from, what's out there, how do we relate to it, etc.  Wonderful human questions, appropraitely wrapped up in a horror atmosphere, as that is definitely one possibility.

Few things frustrate us more than awesome potential only half-ass realized, and I thnk that aptly sums up the Alien franchise as a whole. ...and this applies very well specifically to Prometheus.  What a cool, cool idea, at times executed brilliantly, but ultimately fumbled enough to piss us off.

I am very much looking forward to Prometheus 2.  Yet I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed with cool possibilities that fall short in execution.

Edited by Prime Mover and Shaker

I think the problem with Prometheus (and, similarly, Alien 3 & 4) is that the potential for a completely riveting tale is there, including huge questions like where did we come from, what's out there, how do we relate to it, etc.  Wonderful human questions, appropraitely wrapped up in a horror atmosphere, as that is definitely one possibility.

Kubrick has the good taste to keep it ambiguous in 2001. 

• Like 1

Ambiguous? He even didn't try to answer that question in 2001. I've seen that film two times and I hate the pretentious 'This answers where did we come from' statement.

The only think he suggests is that the evolution is always linked to violence.

• Like 1

Not so much ambiguous but Kubrick showed us things but didn't spell them out. So you interpret what you see but Kubrick's vision was clear as crystal and the whole movie illustrates and drives home that point: Mankind's evolution steps are painfully driven by an alien superior force and the unquenchable quest to understand its origin lead us beyond the borders of our conscience.

Edited by dashrendar44

Not so much ambiguous but Kubrick showed us things but didn't spell them out. So you interpret what you see but Kubrick's vision was clear as crystal and the whole movie illustrates and drives home that point: Mankind's evolution steps are painfully driven by an alien superior force and the unquenchable quest to understand its origin lead us beyond the borders of our conscience.

Well, the movie did put us int that self-reflective inward journey of the mind. You cannot help to ponder about the whole Creation ideas even though the movie does not address it directly or explicitly.

why do people even hate on prometheus?

Because it's not a good movie. The script is terrible. Character development is non-existent. It's one of those movies that doesn't answer anything because it assumes we'll automatically we'll see the sequel.

• Like 6

why do people even hate on prometheus? it has a good box office and score on rotten tomatoes.. i personally liked it and i'm pretty sure most people did too

Because it's not a good movie. The script is terrible. Character development is non-existent. It's one of those movies that doesn't answer anything because it assumes we'll automatically we'll see the sequel.

This. The character motivations never make any sense. And they're poorly conceived: we're supposed to be following a scientific mission, but nothing in the setup or the actions makes that seem at all plausible. They might be the stupidest scientists shown on film... and considering there was a movie where Denise Richards played a nuclear physicist, that's saying something.

Plus the pacing is incredibly bad. It might not be the worst of any film I've seen, but it's close. There are multiple times when it's apparent that they suddenly remembered that "oh, yeah! this is supposed to be a sci-fi horror film" and then up and kill a bunch of characters.

There were only two scenes in the entire film that were remotely scary. One was the abortion. The other was the two guys in the relic with the worm thingy. (And that was predicated on them being monumentally stupid.)

• Like 3