Noctis

Blockbusters should be nominated more

RT means nothing. And there's nothing wrong wih giving 12 SLAVES Best Picture, it was an excellent movie. All you're doing is revealing *your* biases.

Yeah, RT means nothing but when a movies gets 60-70% there we already know there's no chance for it to be nominated. And you talked about the movie connecting with audiences lol 12 years barely made 55M even with all the Oscar promotion so no, people don't care about it. But let's leave it at that.

Yeah, RT means nothing but when a movies gets 60-70% there we already know there's no chance for it to be nominated. And you talked about the movie connecting with audiences lol 12 years barely made 55M even with all the Oscar promotion so no, people don't care about it. But let's leave it at that.

But again, AMPAS' job is not to nominate what other people liked (or didn't). They're supposed to nominate what *they* liked.

Really, the best way to look at AMPAS is a trade organization. That's basically what they are.

• Like 2

But again, AMPAS' job is not to nominate what other people liked (or didn't). They're supposed to nominate what *they* liked.

Really, the best way to look at AMPAS is a trade organization. That's basically what they are.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. And since they are recruiting people with the same taste as them there will always be the same kind of movies that win. That's exactly why they are indicative of a movie's quality about the same as RT - not at all.

• Like 1

You make it sound so nefarious. They're an internal organization whose members are veterans from the industry. If they're not indicative of a movie's quality, then why even have this conversation about including blockbusters?

Exactly because they shoud be an indicative of a movie's quality but they can't be that when they automatically reject some genres. There is no way that every freakin movie in a genre is bad so they can exclude it.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Exactly because they shoud be an indicative of a movie's quality but they can't be that when they automatically reject some genres. There is no way that every freakin movie in a genre is bad so they can exclude it.

Ok James, list what blockbusters you though have been snubbed over the past 5 years from a BP nom.

• Like 3

Ok James, list what blockbusters you though have been snubbed over the past 5 years from a BP nom.

Star Trek, Skyfall, DH2, MI: Ghost Protocol, Rise of the Planet of the Apes among others. And it's not like it would even matter if they are nominated since this type of movies never win. Just look at Inception, or Gravity or, the most mind blowing example, Avatar losing to The Hurt Locker. It's absolutely stunning that you have a movie which produces a revolution in filmmaking and it doesn't get recognition.

• Like 2

Star Trek, Skyfall, DH2, MI: Ghost Protocol, Rise of the Planet of the Apes among others. And it's not like it would even matter if they are nominated since this type of movies never win. Just look at Inception, or Gravity or, the most mind blowing example, Avatar losing to The Hurt Locker. It's absolutely stunning that you have a movie which produces a revolution in filmmaking and it doesn't get recognition.

The only one on your list I agree with that was snubbed was Star Trek. However, I know I am in the minority.

• Like 2

I don't think any of those are worthy.

I did see a tweet about an interesting concept: do 12 BP nominees, one from every month. It'll never happen, but still...

(btw, AVATAR got plenty of recognition. It just didn't get BP. There's a difference.)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I don't think any of those are worthy.

I did see a tweet about an interesting concept: do 12 BP nominees, one from every month. It'll never happen, but still...

(btw, AVATAR got plenty of recognition. It just didn't get BP. There's a difference.)

Ew then that would mean the random crap that usually fills the wasteland that is January (see: I Frankenstein, for example) has a shot at a nomination. That'll never happen.

OK, I propose that if Blockbusters aren't gonna recie the credit they deserve in the BP category than they should get their own category. I'd there an issue with that

Are nominees for this year could be:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Interstellar

Guardians for the Galaxy

X-Men Days of Future Past/Captain America: The Winter Soldier/The Hobbit 3/Godzills ( pick 2 of the four)

With a tight battle for who would win ( Apes or Interstellar)

Ew then that would mean the random crap that usually fills the wasteland that is January (see: I Frankenstein, for example) has a shot at a nomination. That'll never happen.

No that just would cause Oscar caliber movies to be released throughout the year instead of mostly at the end.

• Like 1

OK, I propose that if Blockbusters aren't gonna recie the credit they deserve in the BP category than they should get their own category. I'd there an issue with that

Are nominees for this year could be:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Interstellar

Guardians for the Galaxy

X-Men Days of Future Past/Captain America: The Winter Soldier/The Hobbit 3/Godzills ( pick 2 of the four)

With a tight battle for who would win ( Apes or Interstellar)

You still haven't explained why they should get their own category.

• Like 2

Star Trek 

Skyfall

DH2

MI: Ghost Protocol

Rise of the Planet of the Apes  

Inception

Gravity

Gravity came a lot closer to winning BP than your post thinks it did. None of the rest of those movies were among the Top 10 of their year for me.

Furthermore, don't treat Avatar and Inception like they were mugged and left bleeding in an alley. Avatar won the three awards it truly deserved to win for its achievement in those fields (Cinematography, Art Direction, Visual Effects). Inception won four.

• Like 5

• Like 2