Noctis

Blockbusters should be nominated more

If we take inflation into account Gone with the Wind the highest grossing film ever won BP. Throw in Titanic, ROTK, Forrest Gump, Gladiator, the Sound of Music, not to mention the countless 100 million+ films that get nominated the Academy had done just fine

• Like 5

If we take inflation into account Gone with the Wind the highest grossing film ever won BP. Throw in Titanic, ROTK, Forrest Gump, Gladiator, the Sound of Music, not to mention the countless 100 million+ films that get nominated the Academy had done just fine

When people say "blockbuster" here they mean "nerdy movies I like"

• Like 6

There have been a lot of blockbusters nommed in the past!

Star Wars

Raiders

Jaws

Titanic

LOTR trilogy

The sixth sense

Beauty and the beast...

Matrix and TDK were also really close. For a blockbuster to be considered it has to happen two things: it has to be a global phenomenon (amazing BO) with cultural resonance and high quality. It's not that easy to reach this.

What do you expect? To see Hunger Games or Guardians of the Galaxy nommed? I really love both movies, they're thrilling and satisfying, but com'on, BP material? No way!!

• Like 5

More blockbusters as in big fictional universe that makes big bucks?  There is only one Lord of the Academy, only one can bend the voters to its will... and it does not share power.

tumblr_n0ya9mVKkL1t5z6j7o6_500.gif

One blockbuster to rule them all. emot-smug.gif

And it was almost beaten by a sinking boat...

Plus people working on Blockbusters make more money. They are rewarded a different way. 

I bet you Bryan Singers house is bigger than's David O'Russel's or Paul Thomas Anderson's or anyone nominated for best director this year. 

The rates in all departments are higher too. You bet your ass the Music Editor on the Hobbit is making more than the Music Editor on The Gambler. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 5

Also I'm sure plenty of 15 year girls wish Dear John and The Vow deserve Oscar noms. 

There's a difference between wanting a critically acclaimed blockbuster (like LEGO Movie, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Guardians of the Galaxy) to get a BP nomination. 

And wanting Michael Bay, Nicholas Sparks, Adam Sandler or Tyler Perry to get BP nominations lol. I'd say there's one, possibly two tentpoles every year that reach that level of deserving a BP nod. Usually not the win, but at least recognition. 

LEGO Movie easily deserved a BP nod over American Sniper and Theory of Everything - especially when you consider its RT rating, its 8.1/10 avg. score, its cleverness, its originality, and its appearance on over 70 published top 10 lists for 2014. I'll add in Gone Girl as well since it did $150 million+ DOM - it was worthy of a BP nod as well. And if GotG or Dawn snuck in, I wouldn't have minded at all. 

Sometimes, a crowd-pleaser can also be great and inventive. LEGO Movie was one of those - when something mediocre like Unbroken (49%) or something average like Into the Woods (71% RT) or American Sniper (76% RT) are considered stronger contenders for BP than the 2nd highest rated film of 2014 (97%)... there's something wrong with the Academy system. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

American sniper could do 150m+ so it will be your blockbuster nomination.

A blockbuster to me is a big movie in scope that cost a lot of money, not a movie that made a lot of money.

But I guess there s a different definition of the word blockbuster depending on who you ask.

• Like 1

You basically need to have worked in the industry for a certain length of time, doing such work as considered generally high quality by the Academy, and have to be nominated by an Academy member. Then your specific branch (acting, writing, directing, costuming, etc) will consider you.

I thought having a nom automatically makes you a member ...

• Like 1

Movies like Star Wars wouldn't get nominated today.

I don't think Avatar makes it either without the expanded category to 10. 

Blockbusters in general aren't looking to be nominated anyway and I'd say that, like someone else brought up in some thread, the only one that could have made it this year would have been Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Just a little bit more refining of the story/scope etc and a movie like that could become a player, nothing else. 

A blockbuster to me is a big movie in scope that cost a lot of money, not a movie that made a lot of money.

But I guess there s a different definition of the word blockbuster depending on who you ask.

Blockbuster's original definition is a movie (no matter the budget) that gross a shit load of bucks during summer season. Jaws was the matrix of that definition and coined with that term.

The thing is that definition has been shifting from its original meaning (in France for hence) when people think a movie is automatically a blockbuster before release because it costs a gazillion dollars to make. In fact, "blockbuster" is a status threshold reached during its run just like RT certifies a movie "fresh" after an amount of positive reviews, a movie is certified "blockbuster" after reaching an amount of cash at the BO. Hence, Sixth Sense and Blair Witch Project being certified blockbusters despite costing peanuts to make compared to a tentpole.

People actually mistake and conflate "tentpole" (pricey movie) with "blockbuster" (movie that gross a lot, pricey or not).

• Like 3

Blockbusters in general aren't looking to be nominated anyway and I'd say that, like someone else brought up in some thread, the only one that could have made it this year would have been Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Just a little bit more refining of the story/scope etc and a movie like that could become a player, nothing else. 

?

SW was nominated in Best Movie category back in 1978 alongside Woody Allen's Annie Hall despite 6 slots allowed...So why wouldn't it be nominated in an expanded category featuring 10 slots nowadays if it did make the cut back then?

• Like 2

Avatar was nominated for Best Director (not to mention won Globes in two main categories). Even if the category had been limited to just three movies Avatar would've made the cut. 

• Like 1