Gopher

READ THE NOMINEES FOR THE 2015 BOX OFFICE AWARDS!

Glad Leviathan isn't there. I was pulling for it before I saw it. I know it plays somewhat differently outside Russia but I couldn't believe how bad it was.

lol after all the thinking over & reading ppl's thoughts I decided to just skip it   :lol: u seem to be way more liberal than me so it seems that if even for you it was bad than I'd probs be mortified  :lol: + I dont like swearing so it adds to the turn off

OK noms but too much love for Nolan & bland Blunt :huh: I'll never ever get the love for them  :lol:

"Lost stars" snubbed & "Only lovers left alive" also :(

Ont he bright side BotFA, Wild tales, Birdman. Serkis, Gone girl, under the skin, Selma (Ava!!!) all deserve it.

Edited by Lady of Lorien

lol after all the thinking over & reading ppl's thoughts I decided to just skip it   :lol: u seem to be way more liberal than me so it seems that if even for you it was bad than I'd probs be mortified  :lol: + I dont like swearing so it adds to the turn off

Politics have nothing to do with it, you don't have to be liberal to see that there's nothing false or exaggerated in the movie's depiction of corrupt officials, judges and clergymen. Its problems are that it's paced like shit so it feels twice its length, everyone's acting is mediocre, and Zvyagintsev again spends the first half setting up an interesting conflict, then goes off the rails in the middle so the second half is all eye-rollingly obvious symbolism, people staring into space with intense facial expressions, and ludicrously contrived plotting. Apart from the cinematography and a few pointed jabs at the System it's pretty terrible. Also there's hardly any swearing in there.

• Like 2

Politics have nothing to do with it, you don't have to be liberal to see that there's nothing false or exaggerated in the movie's depiction of corrupt officials, judges and clergymen. Its problems are that it's paced like shit so it feels twice its length, everyone's acting is mediocre, and Zvyagintsev again spends the first half setting up an interesting conflict, then goes off the rails in the middle so the second half is all eye-rollingly obvious symbolism, people staring into space with intense facial expressions, and ludicrously contrived plotting. Apart from the cinematography and a few pointed jabs at the System it's pretty terrible. Also there's hardly any swearing in there.

lol so it was exaggerated & got free advertising it seems.   :lol: so much hoopla over nothing.

& it doesnt seem like this controversial as some ppl say at all ( LIke in the Cannes thread I said b/c we see corrupt people of power every day on tv & irl. nothing new.)

Hmmm I read even from euro audience that its boring & hammering the same idea over & over again

Kritchman is amazing. :wub:  I considered going just b/c of his involvement. all the films he shot look like pieces of art. Hopefully he will get his chance in HW. HIs reviews for "MIss Julie" are quite good

ugh now u swayed me & I want to check it out just to see for myself how bad it is  :D

Edited by Lady of Lorien

Aside from a scene or two there's so little cause for controversy in the movie it's almost funny. Had it come out in 2011 or earlier, it likely would have just come and gone without much noise. Even now most of the controversy is only there because some morons got publicly mad at it's "anti-Russian" message before they ever saw it, and others happily followed. The wins at Cannes and Golden Globes only added fuel to the fire.

• Like 2

FULL NOMINATIONS

Funniest Poster
Chewy
Claire Holt
CoolioD1
MrPink
Telemachos

Most Valued Poster
Baumer
Rth
ShawnMR
Telemachos

Best Forum Story
BOF Murder Mystery
Box Office Games
Batman's Dark Knight Saga

Best Thread
GOTG Opening
Mockingjay Weekend Numbers
Baumer’s Brainwashing

Headache-Inducing Run
Edge of Tomorrow
How To Train Your Dragon 2
Interstellar
The Interview
Maleficent

Favorite Box Office Run
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
The LEGO Movie

Worst Piece of Shit Film
I, Frankenstein
Left Behind
Maleficent
The Nut Job
Tammy

Best Editing
Birdman
Boyhood
Edge of Tomorrow
Gone Girl
Selma

Best Cinematography
Birdman
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Interstellar
Under The Skin

Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Selma
Snowpiercer

Best Production Design
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Interstellar
Snowpiercer

Best Original Score
Antonio Sanchez (Birdman)
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (Gone Girl)
Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
Hans Zimmer (Interstellar)
Mica Levi (Under The Skin)

Best Original Song
"The Last Goodbye" (The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies)
"Everything Is Awesome" (The LEGO Movie)
“Glory” (Selma)

Best Foreign Film
Force Majeure
Ida
Two Days, One Night
We Are The Best!
Wild Tales

Best Breakthrough Performance
Damien Chazelle (Whiplash)
Ellar Coltrane (Boyhood)
Carrie Coon (Gone Girl)
Gareth Edwards (Godzilla)
Jorge Gutierrez (The Book of Life)

Best Animated Feature
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
How To Train Your Dragon 2
The LEGO Movie
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Best Comedy
22 Jump Street
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Neighbors
Top Five

Best Horror Film
The Babadook
Oculus
The Purge: Anarchy

Best Documentary
Citizenfour
Jodorowsky's Dune
Life Itself

Best Adapted Screenplay

Gone Girl

Guardians of the Galaxy

Inherent Vice

Snowpiercer

Whiplash

Best Original Screenplay

Birdman

Boyhood

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The LEGO Movie

Nightcrawler

Best Supporting Actor

Michael Fassbender (Frank)

Ethan Hawke (Boyhood)

Edward Norton (Birdman)

Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)

J.K. Simmons (Birdman)

Best Supporting Actress

Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)

Emily Blunt (Edge of Tomorrow)

Agata Kulesza (Ida)

Emma Stone (Birdman)

Tilda Swinton (Snowpiercer)

Best Actor

Ralph Fiennes (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler)

Michael Keaton (Birdman)

David Oyelowo (Selma)

Andy Serkis (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)

Best Actress

Emily Blunt (Into The Woods)

Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night)

Scarlett Johansson (Under The Skin)

Julianne Moore (Still Alice)

Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)

Best Director

Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

Ava DuVernay (Selma)

David Fincher (Gone Girl)

Alejandro G. Inarritu (Birdman)

Richard Linklater (Boyhood)

Best Picture

Birdman

Boyhood

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Gone Girl

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Guardians of the Galaxy

Intestellar

The LEGO Movie

Selma

• Like 5

Please send your ballots to me by SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 14TH @ 11:59PM EST. THE CEREMONY WILL TAKE PLACE THE FOLLOWING DAY.

Also, please post here is you wish to submit a summary for a film (as long as you'd like it to be)

Birdman - Spaghetti
Boyhood - Gopher
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Intestellar
The LEGO Movie - Blankments
Selma - DamienRoc

lol considering how much bitching goes on in here, the majority of people who submitted their ballots don't say anything.

I mean, you want it to be BOT's list and this is what you're getting.

Unfortunately, most people do not seek out anything. There's no point in getting mad at "blockbuster indie" films being the most popular/overrated, at least they are not all the highest grossing movies. I think, if anything, we'd commend these "blockbuster indies" simply because, fuck's sake, we're mortal. We ain't got time to go through everything and the people behind these are at least trying to get their movies seen. Yes, it's great to discover some gem less than 1,000 people have seen on IMDB or whatever, and it sucks that money is needed for everything, but these guys have worked their bollocks off just to get to that level, and there may be more talented people who made better movies, but they probably didn't work as hard or were lucky enough. 

As in everything, hard work eventually prevails. If not now, it will later. From businessmen to sportspeople, the key is application of effort. Besides, there's always going to be a scale of pretentiousness. Fine, you're "above" the likes of Birdman, Boyhood and Grand Budapest Hotel, but there are others who are "above" Only Lovers Left Alive, Cavalry and Inherent Vice, and then others still above whatever comes next. So instead of bitching about it all, as fun as it is, at the end of the day, we're all voting for movies that meant something to us- or well, most of us are anyway. 

Spend every day trying to keep up and you miss everything else. 

Edited by BK007
  • Like 3

I'll just say I disagree with you on almost every level. :lol:

(I've missed a couple of Zvyagintsev's other movies, but what did you think of THE RETURN?)

• Like 1

(I've missed a couple of Zvyagintsev's other movies, but what did you think of THE RETURN?)

Elena & The Return are amazing imo  :worthy:

too bad Leviathan will be his most acclaimed one :(

Aside from a scene or two there's so little cause for controversy in the movie it's almost funny. Had it come out in 2011 or earlier, it likely would have just come and gone without much noise. Even now most of the controversy is only there because some morons got publicly mad at it's "anti-Russian" message before they ever saw it, and others happily followed. The wins at Cannes and Golden Globes only added fuel to the fire.

some (like me) sadly followed :rotfl:

whats funny is most ppl will still root for it in the Oscars b/c it will be 'our' win anyway  :lol: (imo Ida will get it)

Gonna express again how happy I'm for 'Gone girl' noms

these awards got it right :wub:

the lack of Foxcatcher is sad but its not popular on this forum so it was expected

At least Fluffalo got in.

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 1

These nominations are just not quite my tempo.

No Shaileen for actress wtf?

Serkis for dactor?  You've gotta be fuckin kidding me

Some of the actresses I have no idea who they are.

This list of stuff is horrible.

Some of the best pictures are good.

Thank you for making me a double nominee.  I'm very surprised at the best thread.  

It's an honour to be nominated with RTH and the others as most valuable poster.  But this is RTH's every year.  I'll show up to the ceremony and do this when RTH's name is called:

tumblr_inline_ndf0giinJi1ru0qff.gif

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

whats funny is most ppl will still root for it in the Oscars b/c it will be 'our' win anyway  :lol: (imo Ida will get it)

Because I'm not a fan of Ida (cinematography aside) I'd be amused if Leviathan won if only for all the "it was funded by America!" reactions.

• Like 1