iceroll

BOT's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (Top 20 Time! Starts p.17)

#32 Modern Family - 212 Points
nbc6wRk.jpg
IMDB Rating:
x8duOTF.png
Aired:  2009-ongoing (ABC)
Episodes: 130
Genre: Comedy
List Trivia: Modern Family is the ONLY ABC comedy in the Top 100. It's the third in a row of arguable today's biggest sitcoms (HIMYM, TBBT, MF).
Storyline: Three different, but related families face trials and tribulations in their own uniquely comedic ways.
Show quote:
Phil: I'm cool dad, that's my thang. I'm hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud, OMG: oh my god, WTF: why the face

Episode Ratings:
OztelOx.png

Opening Theme:

qgEw4QM.gif

• Like 5

#31 The X-Files (-17 ranks- 229 Points
SWzFXXZ.jpg
IMDB Rating:
eLDM98A.png
Aired:  1993-2002 (Fox)
Episodes: 202
Genre: Drama
List Trivia: The X-Files makes the biggest point jump in the Top 100 so far, leaping 17 points above #32 Modern Family. It also drops 17 spots from the previous list.
Storyline: Two FBI agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, investigate the strange and unexplained while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.
Show quote:
Mulder: Scully, I was like you once. I didn't know who to trust. Then I... I chose another path... another life, another fate, where I found my sister. The end of my world was unrecognizable and upside down. There was one thing that remained the same. You were my friend, and you told me the truth. Even when the world was falling apart, you were my constant. My touchstone.
Scully: And you are mine.

Episode Ratings:
fscvE5q.png

Opening Theme:

http://youtu.be/rbBX6aEzEz8

pYfE3Yg.gif

• Like 6

Ok, this is apropos of nothing, but while binge reading this list just now (I failed to notice where it was moved to, and I've just recently found it again) I had a sudden realization.

The TV show Deadwood is set in Deadwood, South Dakota.  Deadwood, SD is an actual town that existed in the late 1800s, and like the show says, Wild Bill Hickok was killed nearby and his murder trial was held in Deadwood.  As fate would have it, my great grandfather (possibly great-great grandfather) was the justice of the peace in Deadwood exactly during that time (apparently he was one of like 4 people in whole town who could read) and presided over exactly that trial.  In the TV show, the judge overseeing the trial gets pressured pretty heavily and as a result ends up finding the killer innocent and splits town shortly afterwards.

Interestingly, my ancestor, who was married with kids and ran the local bank, also split town immediately after the trial, with the family history being that Deadwood had gotten too big and urban for him, and he wanted to find someone a little quieter.  So leaves his wife in charge of the bank and spends 6 months riding his horse all the way up to the coast of the Hudson Bay where he finds a guy with a trading post.  The guy trades with the Indians and fur traders but is tired of the cold, so they discuss my ancestor buying the trading post.  He writes to his wife, telling her to sell the bank, pack up the kids and move like 1000+ miles north (north from South Dakota, that is) and buy the trading post.  She tells him the family is moving up there over her dead body, so he comes back home, sells the bank, and instead moves the family to Phoenix, Arizona.

While I don't normally give much credence to the historical accuracy of TV shows, it seems more likely that my ancestor split town because he was threatened than because Deadwood got too heavily populated.

So, the top 100 TV show list isn't only entertaining, its also educational!

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 5