grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

If it is a movie from your list it probably didn't. If it is Mockingjay Part 1 I am 100% sure it didn't.

Yes it's a movie from my list. No it's not Mockingjay, I didn't expect that one to be on so I can live with it. This one missing would be a surprise and sadden me deeply. Not to mention it's better than Mockingjay.

Number 12

Locke – 132 points, appears on 16 lists, #1 on 2 lists

ooVxwfg.png

FkXAx9x.png

One man driving down a road talking on the phone about concrete. Doesn’t sound like a big hook for a movie, but man does Locke deliver. The movie is just amazing considering that all we see is Tom Hardy in a car for 90 minutes. Hardy delivers an unfairly overlooked performance in this movie. Just him alone on the screen provide some of the most engaging moments in movies in 2014. Don’t think any other actor could have carried this movie the way Hardy did. Too bad his follow-up tentpole movie is Mad Max :ph34r:

Boxoffice: 1.4M Domestic

BOF User Reviews:

Fascinating and quietly brilliant film. I loved it. My best friend and mom did too, but they DESPISED the ending. It certainly isn't the most emotionally satisfying, but it doesn't matter to me. It's not at all about the ending- it's clearly a movie about the destination. It's like a stage play that unfolds on screen- the dialogue and the thematic complexity and the brilliant way the narrative unfolds so simply is just a joy to watch. Yes, it's an hour and a half in the car- but it's worth every second. Never once lost my attention. Tom Hardy, my favorite young actor working today, is brilliant again. God, that guy is good. He conveys so much with so little, and his character has so much depth that is all owed to his performance. It took me a few minutes to adjust to the accent- it still sounds like he's doing a version of the Bane voice in this one. Hell, this whole movie could double as a Bane origin story. Regardless, it's a brilliant, thought provoking film I haven't stopped thinking about since I saw it on Saturday. Go see it.” –  CMasterClay

Locke was so stripped down, tense and raw it was incredible written that you could believe this mans life had fallen to pieces over that one long drive. I can't add more then to say that Tom Hardy is an extraordinary actor and makes Ivan Locke feel so real, honest and human.” – Lizzy

OUTSIDE THE GODDAMN TOP TEN?!!

Topgear_table_flip.gif

18k5j7mjiw7uugif.gif

mad.gif

• Like 7

Some more movies you won't be seeing in the top 10

Belle

Divergent

Foxcatcher

Enemy

John Wick

A Most Violent Year

The Immigrant

Noah

The Wind Rises

The Drop

Fury

Citizenfour

Transcendence

Leviathan

The Raid 2

Foxcatcher, Fury, A Most Violent Year, Noah, and The Raid 2 all made my list. Edited by Empire

Number 11

Dawn of the planet of the apes – 134 points, appears on 23 lists

iqeeIaC.png

wJPhH6I.png

One of my favorite movies from 2014, Dawn of the planet of the apes shows escalation of the conflict between the apes and the remaining humans. The movie is anchored by the amazing motion capture performances by Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbel as Caesar and Koba. The movie actually makes you sympathize with the apes in a fight for survival between mankind and apes. That is to the credit of the director Matt Reeves and the tense sequences he builds up in the story. It will definitely be interesting to see where the franchise goes from this point, but I am on-board.

Boxoffice: 208M Domestic / 708M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

Caesar is my baby monkey” –  Ethan Hunt

Simply a damn good film.In many ways it is a flat-our insult to categorize this as a blockbuster. This a film in which it is best to go in blind. The story story unfolds in such an interesting manner that becomes more rewarding if you know very little before the viewing.Make no mistake, while there is ample action and effects this very much a story-driven affair. More specifically, it is the characters that drive the story here. I couldn't be more impressed with the dynamics on display here. Damn good stuff. Perhaps most interesting to me was the fact this film tended to focus on the similarities between the two species rather than the differences like in the first film. This evolution of viewpoint was simply perfect. With that mindset in hand, the proceedings became powerful. I wouldn't argue if one made the statement that the events on display were simply tragic as fuck.As for Caesar, he has never been better. Layers upon layers of character. He in fact serves as the human element that drives the film. A bit of poetic irony, if you will.Simply put....Caesar is the man (or ape).” – Mattmav45

• Like 13

Some more movies you won't be seeing in the top 10

Belle

Divergent

Foxcatcher

Enemy

John Wick

A Most Violent Year

The Immigrant

Noah

The Wind Rises

The Drop

Fury

Citizenfour

Transcendence

Leviathan

The Raid 2

Outside of a couple oddities, that's probably a better Best Of that the actual one we'll get.

• Like 2

Number 11

Dawn of the planet of the apes – 134 points, appears on 23 lists

iqeeIaC.png

wJPhH6I.png

One of my favorite movies from 2014, Dawn of the planet of the apes shows escalation of the conflict between the apes and the remaining humans. The movie is anchored by the amazing motion capture performances by Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbel as Caesar and Koba. The movie actually makes you sympathize with the apes in a fight for survival between mankind and apes. That is to the credit of the director Matt Reeves and the tense sequences he builds up in the story. It will definitely be interesting to see where the franchise goes from this point, but I am on-board.

Boxoffice: 208M Domestic / 708M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

Caesar is my baby monkey” –  Ethan Hunt

Simply a damn good film.In many ways it is a flat-our insult to categorize this as a blockbuster. This a film in which it is best to go in blind. The story story unfolds in such an interesting manner that becomes more rewarding if you know very little before the viewing.Make no mistake, while there is ample action and effects this very much a story-driven affair. More specifically, it is the characters that drive the story here. I couldn't be more impressed with the dynamics on display here. Damn good stuff. Perhaps most interesting to me was the fact this film tended to focus on the similarities between the two species rather than the differences like in the first film. This evolution of viewpoint was simply perfect. With that mindset in hand, the proceedings became powerful. I wouldn't argue if one made the statement that the events on display were simply tragic as fuck.As for Caesar, he has never been better. Layers upon layers of character. He in fact serves as the human element that drives the film. A bit of poetic irony, if you will.Simply put....Caesar is the man (or ape).” – Mattmav45

Seriously guys? And I can't even blame Ethan alone on this one. At least it isn't in the top 10.

These + 3 more = The Final 10

Time to start guessing

Edge of Tomorrow

Big Hero 6

Whiplash

Probably

I mean, I hope Whiplash made it

EDIT: Wait, I forgot. X-Men. That's definitely gonna make it

Edited by Chewy Tatumwolf

These + 3 more = The Final 10

Time to start guessing

Whiplash, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Edge of Tomorrow.

No love for The Babadook or Snowpiercer. BO forums, you have failed this world. 

• Like 1