baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

25. Superman I and II

MV5BMTI1MjA5MzM0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc051QN1MBK2PL.jpg

"You'll believe a man can fly!"breathlessly promised the tagline. Eh, maybe back in the 70s, but even to a kid growing up in the 80s the VFX were already fairly dated. There's a nice laid-back feel to the first 40 minutes of SUPERMAN I (after the silly Krypton stuff), but the whole thing is pretty light-weight, and so corny as well. Christopher Reeve still does the best mix of Clark Kent and Supes, but the script doesn't give him much to do and the drama and tension is really inert. The whole "kiss everything away" moment in SUPERMAN II is just awful, and really, most of both movies basically play like the "dark Spiderman" bit from Raimi's reviled SM3 (except done seriously).

• Like 9

24. Inception

InceptionPoster-26-4-10-kc.jpg

BWAAAAHMMMM

Look, I like this movie. Quite a lot, actually. But it's been placed on this absurdly high pedestal by crazed Nolan fanboys who will accept no God other than their own. It's a very clever concept and the action scenes are wonderfully done, and Nolan assembled a great cast... but, like he's tended to do with his recent blockbusters, he takes a brute force approach to storytelling. Exposition-filled speech after exposition-filled speech, characters who do nothing but wander around like the audience's Mary Sue, asking "Why?" ... the first hour is really inert.

Great action movie. Lots of fun. One of the greatest movies ever made? Not even close.

• Like 8

Inception definitely deserves a place. I'm going to do a list of overrated movies and I wasn't sure whether to include Inception or not, as I do really like the film - but I don't think it's anything as perfect or amazing as many people seem to believe.

25. Superman I and II

"You'll believe a man can fly!"breathlessly promised the tagline. Eh, maybe back in the 70s, but even to a kid growing up in the 80s the VFX were already fairly dated. There's a nice laid-back feel to the first 40 minutes of SUPERMAN I (after the silly Krypton stuff), but the whole thing is pretty light-weight, and so corny as well. Christopher Reeve still does the best mix of Clark Kent and Supes, but the script doesn't give him much to do and the drama and tension is really inert. The whole "kiss everything away" moment in SUPERMAN II is just awful, and really, most of both movies basically play like the "dark Spiderman" bit from Raimi's reviled SM3 (except done seriously).

One post in and you're already blowing it!  :angry:

But you redeemed yourself a bit with Inception.  :D

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

25. Superman I and II

MV5BMTI1MjA5MzM0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc051QN1MBK2PL.jpg

I assume you mean the 1880s? 

Edited by Snoopy of Suburbia
  • Like 2

23. The Goonies

The+Goonies+Movie+Poster.jpg

For some reason, this mid-80s Spielberg-esque effort is beloved and adored by every kid who grew up in the '80s. Everyone except me. It's okay, but nothing that special, and nothing really that other movies in that era did better. Even as a kid, willing to like pretty much everything, I didn't think it was all that.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 9