lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

Sorry, but it is Shrek. I basically hate that movie now, but it is the most popular animated movie since The Lion King. Its popularity is a huge reason why Shrek 2 was so huge.

Technically wouldn't it be Cars since they've sold the most merchandise?   :P

Little Mac's List of Most "Beloved" Films Since Lion King

1. Finding Nemo

2. Wall-E

3. Frozen

4. Toy Story 3

5. Toy Story 1

6. Shrek 

7. Shrek 2

8. Incredibles

9. Toy Story 2

10. Tangled

No-one outside the internet gives a fuck about wall E.

• Like 4

Shrek 1 broke the mold of having animation appeal to adults and kids.

Dreamworks and then Pixar used this model to immense success over the next decade over Shrek 1 release. 

Nay.

Pixar started it and more brilliantly at that. Is there a fart joke in a Pixar film ?

• Like 1

Frankly you can take the Top 200 Adjusted for inflation and list every movie that made 400m of current dollars or more.

Any movie that sold 50m tickets or more in the US has had a fantastic run.

That s around 100 movies give or take.

• Like 1

Frankly you can take the Top 200 Adjusted for inflation and list every movie that made 400m of current dollars or more.

Any movie that sold 50m tickets or more in the US has had a fantastic run.

That s around 100 movies give or take.

Good point but the point of this thread is for movies that have had surprising box-office runs when you look back in time.  Boxoffice runs you forgot (or like to forget).

For example: When I think of National Treasure 2, I don't think of a franchise with a movie that made $220m.  

Edited by lilmac

the point of this thread is for movies that have had surprising box-office runs.  For example: When I think of National Treasure 2, I don't think of a franchise with a movie that made $220m.  

Well I think for most of these movies I talked about, few could foresee that it was gonna be so big even with franchises movies.

Nobody expected that THG books would produce two 400m+ dom movies.

It was a surprise.

Once you reach a certain level of success, it s always a surprise to be able to get that high and I think 400m of current dollars/ 50m tickets sold is a good treshold to measure how insanely popular a movie is.

As the list shows, only a 100 movies were able to go that high.

• Like 1

The Shrek franchise obviously was much bigger then Finding Nemo. But Shrek 2 was followed by two movies people did not really like and the franchise has a whole has sort of faded. Finding Nemo has had a lot more longevity. Just because the film itself appeals to more people then Shrek 2 did and the fact that the Shrek franchise was sort of ruined for most people with the last two and Finding Nemo remains as of now untarnished

• Like 2

The Shrek franchise obviously was much bigger then Finding Nemo. But Shrek 2 was followed by two movies people did not really like and the franchise has a whole has sort of faded. Finding Nemo has had a lot more longevity. Just because the film itself appeals to more people then Shrek 2 did and the fact that the Shrek franchise was sort of ruined for most people with the last two and Finding Nemo remains as of now untarnished

How does the film appeal to more people when shrek 2 easily sold far more tickets? Also normal people don't let sequels take the quality away from original film. I didn't like any shrek sequel but that doesn't mean to say I don't love shrek 1

• Like 1

Nay.

Pixar started it and more brilliantly at that. Is there a fart joke in a Pixar film ?

I can think of one.   Finding Nemo.   

That's a great example of the difference in Pixar and Shrek.    Shrek just had characters farting and burping all over the place.  That was supposed to be "funny".   Pixar actually made the joke in an inventive way.

Is there a donkey voiced by Eddie Murphy in a Pixar film?

That's what I thought.

Ugh...another reason why I can't stomach Shrek movies.

Agreed.   When talking about beloved movies, I would say Shrek has faded badly.   Even someone in this very thread admitted they hate it now.

Sorry, but it is Shrek. I basically hate that movie now, but it is the most popular animated movie since The Lion King. Its popularity is a huge reason why Shrek 2 was so huge.

• Like 2

Maybe the last two movies made me forget the impact of the first two because when people here thought Shrek was more influential - I was like whuuuut.  

Maybe they're right...

Edited by lilmac

Maybe the last two movies made me forget the impact of the first two because when people here thought Shrek was more influential - I was like whuuuut.  

Maybe they're right...

Numbers don't like. I think some memembers calculated the its admissoons back in the BOM days and the result is Shrek2 most likely sold more tickets than TDK.

It's just such a shame that such an incredible franchise got ruined by two terrible sequels.

• Like 2

Numbers don't like. I think some memembers calculated the its admissoons back in the BOM days and the result is Shrek2 most likely sold more tickets than TDK.

It's just such a shame that such an incredible franchise got ruined by two terrible sequels.

I like that gingerbread man.  He was funny.  I forget how good Shrek 2 was....

The 2:30 mark was cinematic gold

Well I think for most of these movies I talked about, few could foresee that it was gonna be so big even with franchises movies.

Nobody expected that THG books would produce two 400m+ dom movies.

It was a surprise.

Once you reach a certain level of success, it s always a surprise to be able to get that high and I think 400m of current dollars/ 50m tickets sold is a good treshold to measure how insanely popular a movie is.

As the list shows, only a 100 movies were able to go that high.

This! I didn't even know what the hell THG was, I thought it was just some silly young adult book that became popular in America. I think any foreign user here realize how big Harry Potter was in any country, it was a worldwide reference for a succesful fantasy book, and suddenly THG was grossing more than any Potter movie (althought it does come close to the first movie in tickets) and having bigger OWs than the Twilight movies, which were famous for its crazy fangirls who would do anything to see it on midnight.

It's like I'm still asking myself "when did it became this big?" But I guess Potter didn't really hold its popularity in the US like it did in the rest of the world.

Edited by JohnnY

Good post. Can you go further in describing how Shrek "changed the game"?  I think you are on to something..

I meant that we were used to see Disney classics, and most of times they were "correct" films, about princesses and princes. Do not misunderstand me. I love some of those films, but I used to find animated films just always the same. Shrek, used a princesses and princes story to laugh at those classics and change the rules. The roles change: the villain is the prince and the ugly man (or the ogre in this case) is the "hero". And the humour start to be for adults, not just for children. IMO, it could change that fact that adults could go alone to see animated films, something that was not very usual before.

I remember seeing it and being very pleased about that change. I was 21 and I had left animated movies well before. The last one I had seen at theaters was The Lion King and, being a good film, I found it the same that what I had seen before. Maybe there was any other previous film similar to Shrek, but I have not found it. And 14 years later, I think that many adults know better who is Shrek than Simba, for example.

The problem for Shrek to be better received were third and fourth parts. The sequel was great too, but 3rd and 4th were absolutely awful and can have implied to be not so well remembered, but I think first part change and second part success were essential about the today style.

And talking about impressive runs, if we adjust, Shrek 2 opened to $140m and the 2nd weekend (Memorial day) was of $93m-$124m (4-day). It sold as many tickets as Spider-man, The Dark Knight or Avengers. It ranked #3 DOM when it finished, just behind Titanic and Star Wars. Numbers talk.

• Like 2

I can think of one.   Finding Nemo.   

That's a great example of the difference in Pixar and Shrek.    Shrek just had characters farting and burping all over the place.  That was supposed to be "funny".   Pixar actually made the joke in an inventive way.

Ugh...another reason why I can't stomach Shrek movies.

Agreed.   When talking about beloved movies, I would say Shrek has faded badly.   Even someone in this very thread admitted they hate it now.

if you didn't like eddie murphy as donkey then you must have a really poor sense of humour, everybody likes donkey

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2