lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

I don't think we will see a Frozen-box office run for quite some time.  Truly, Frozen was/is a behemoth in terms of popular cultural impact, more so than any of the recent animated films to have come out these past two decades.  However, I want to remain optimistic that another animated (or not) movie will surprise us!  I cannot die a happy human being without experiencing an animated film winning an Oscar for best picture!  (In my OPINION, Beauty and the Beast should have won that Best Picture Oscar but I also understand why it did not, sadly).

I don't agree that Frozen is the biggest animated film in the past 20 years. The Lion King? Tarzan? Shrek? Toy Story? Finding Nemo?

It's a bit early to say that Frozen has had a bigger cultural impact than some of these.

• Like 3

I don't agree that Frozen is the biggest animated film in the past 20 years. The Lion King? Tarzan? Shrek? Toy Story? Finding Nemo?

It's a bit early to say that Frozen has had a bigger cultural impact than some of these.

I agree.  Not even close.

• Like 1

I don't think we will see a Frozen-box office run for quite some time.  Truly, Frozen was/is a behemoth in terms of popular cultural impact, more so than any of the recent animated films to have come out these past two decades.  However, I want to remain optimistic that another animated (or not) movie will surprise us!  I cannot die a happy human being without experiencing an animated film winning an Oscar for best picture!  (In my OPINION, Beauty and the Beast should have won that Best Picture Oscar but I also understand why it did not, sadly).

Sorry, Frozen is a dwarf next to the Lion King.

A midget perhaps.

Only the Japan run of Frozen was absolutely bonkers.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

Frozen is big and seems to have impacted a lot in today children, but I do not think it is the most influential animated film lately. Just in terms of DOM gross (adjusted), The Lion King nearly doubled it and Shrek 2 was well over it. Look at the adjusted list for animated films. Frozen ranks #7.

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=animation.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

• Like 2

Frozen is big and seems to have impacted a lot in today children, but I do not think it is the most influential animated film lately. Just in terms of DOM gross (adjusted), The Lion King nearly doubled it and Shrek 2 was well over it. Look at the adjusted list for animated films. Frozen ranks #7.

I don't think Shrek 2 has had more of a cultural impact. Toy Story and Lion King, yes.

Frozen will always be remembered for Let It Go. Hell every time anyone says those words people immediately say something about how awesome Frozen was or instead they sing it. It may not be the number one, but it's pretty damn high up there already.

I don't think Shrek 2 has had more of a cultural impact. Toy Story and Lion King, yes.

Maybe both Toy Story and Lion King are more beloved, but Shrek 1 was the beginning of a new way of making animated films, breaking the usual rules. IMHO, If we have different animated movies is thanks to films like Shrek.

Maybe both Toy Story and Lion King are more beloved, but Shrek 1 was the beginning of a new way of making animated films, breaking the usual rules. IMHO, If we have different animated movies is thanks to films like Shrek.

Good post. Can you go further in describing how Shrek "changed the game"?  I think you are on to something..

I think it most definitely has. It's only been a year and frozen has had a massive cultural impact.

• Like 1

Shrek 2 was a sequel. Frozen is everywhere, I hear the songs playing in cars driven by men for crying out loud. I hardly like the film but if I here a song, im able to sing along. Fuck knows how I remember the words.

• Like 1