CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

This is hilarious, first the spin from ABC's press release

Then, what that actually means in reality

According to the time period adjusted fast nationals released by ABC, The Oscars earned a 10.8 adults 18-49 rating from 8:30 to 11:48PM (an eight year low) with 36.6 million viewers (a six year low). 

This was the second lowest rated Oscars telecast this millennium.

Edited by grim22

It was the lowest rated because the majority of the films nominated were not seen by the mainstream. Maybe in a few decades they'll stream the ceremony on youtube instead of broadcasting on television if the academy continues what they're doing.

there were actually a few audience polls that thought american sniper would win best picture. imagine if it hadn't been nominated. you could have had straight up the lowest rated broadcast.

That is the only movie people have seen from the nominees. 

Also I was LAUGHING at the scene that was shown with Cooper screaming at the nurse about the baby! :rofl:

You didn't see American Sniper, did you?

I feel like for most people, they didn't even know about the other 7 nominees even existed until the nominations were announced.

It was the lowest rated because the majority of the films nominated were not seen by the mainstream. Maybe in a few decades they'll stream the ceremony on youtube instead of broadcasting on television if the academy continues what they're doing.

The Oscars are now so schizophrenic.  They are practically begging for a younger and bigger audience, which in part alienates their older audience but at the same time scoff and are snide about tent pole movies and superhero films.  How hypocritical to have Jack Black and Liam Paycheck Neeson of all people taking jabs at those movies and then having what seemed like 75% of the presenters under age 40 and best known for starring in the movies they scorn.   It's hard to spit on and suck up at the some time people.

Bringing on Lady Gaga and have her singing The Sound Of Music just accentuated this disconnect.  Trying to be edgy and young and having her sing songs (which I actually like) that were corny 50 years ago was another entry into bizarro world.

• Like 1

Cooper was never winning this year. Also it is better to be nominated than not. :P

Also I was LAUGHING at the scene that was shown with Cooper screaming at the nurse about the baby! :rofl:

That was a collection of some of the worst acting clips I can recall and I'm including the pretty defunct Daytime Emmys. They were chosen for optimum scenery chewing - even with performances where chewing was overall at a minimum.

Edited by TalismanRing

The acting clip selections this year were weird. That spoilerific clip for Reese, really?

it's been like that the last couple years with the super spoilery clips. the reese one didn't strike me as especially spoilery. half that scene is in the trailer.

The Oscars are now so schizophrenic.  They are practically begging for a younger and bigger audience, which in part alienates their older audience but at the same time scoff and are snide about tent pole movies and superhero films.  How hypocritical to have Jack Black and Liam Paycheck Neeson of all people taking jabs at those movies and then having what seemed like 75% of the presenters under age 40 and best known for starring in the movies they scorn.   It's hard to spit on and suck up at the some time people.

Bringing on Lady Gaga and have her singing The Sound Of Music just accentuated this disconnect.  Trying to be edgy and young and having her sing songs (which I actually like) that were corny 50 years ago was another entry into bizarro world.

Lady Gaga singing was pointless and wasted so much TIME! There should be a new rule that the only songs that can be preformed on stage are those songs nominated for the year that it is given out. :rolleyes: