CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

This year's nominations are just plain bland. No blockbusters there and we had quite a few good ones. Also, The Lego Movie not being nominated in the animated catgory is just mind-boggling to me. I hope The Theory Everything wins BP.

If AS wins 200M DOM is as good as locked and considering it's impressive start OS, 350M+ WW is where it's headed.

TOE is the worst of the BP nominees by far. I would hate it so much if it won.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised with $200m either at this point.  It's done bananas in limited release and it's all anyone is talking about down in these parts.

We've had people for weeks asking about it, one dude got angry that we didn't have it when it was "clearly" out already.  I had the great pleasure of showing him that it was only released in 4 theaters nationwide and it wasn't going wide until the 16th. 

Proving customers wrong is such an amazing feeling.

Yeah. Isn't it tracking at 50 million or something for OW?

To be fair not exactly.

The movie was shot late this year and was completed very late.

So that s why the screeners were late too.

Rushing post production for the Oscar race, sometimes is a very bad idea.

They should have postponed it for next year.

Pretty much and Ava is a nobody, she definitely wasn't gonna be able to pull off a Million Dollar Baby. 

• Like 2

I do think it's a well done love story, but I don't think that's good enough to give BP to these days. The other 4 I've seen are far more interesting and overall better films. Though if this were the mid to late 90's it would probably be locked to win. It's better than The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love.

Edited by MovieMan89

Man, even when you put it like this, I am not exactly sure what it means.

I understand the mixing part, I know what is mixing ( I ve seen it in countless studio reports in music or in blu ray's making of), but the editing explanation still leaves me kinda clueless about what it really is.

It's probably easiest to think about with special effects. Someone throws a punch. Placing the sound effect of the impact is editing. If the body falls and hits the floor, that body fall sfx is also editing. So is laying in the ambience of the industrial furnace in the warehouse where the fight is happening, putting in the sparks that sizzle in the background, and also the mini-gun blasting the bad guy (and the bullet hits as they impact his body). Etc.

• Like 3

I was thinking about that too honestly. I still don't think it could win, but it might end up being a bigger contender now for BP than it looks since there is already a backlash in the media for its under-nomination. Could be an Argo effect.

One thing's for certain: Song is going to Selma or LEGO. Sorry Begin Again, but the two movies with the biggest backlash for undernomination are up against you in the only category they can really win.

Haven't seen any of them since none opened here yet, but TOE looks like the only interesting one (that and TIG) in an ocean of semi-pretentious productions.

TGBH - not a Wes Anderson fan at all.

TIG - Well, yeah, this also looks ok. And I like Cumberbatch so I'll probably watch it.

Birdman - no interest in this.

Boyhood - uh... maybe.

Selma - MLK is pretty much a american thing that I do not understand so...

Whiplash - uh... again, maybe.

American Sniper - well, looks interesting enough.

Haven't seen any of them since none opened here yet, but TOE looks like the only interesting one (that and TIG) in an ocean of semi-pretentious productions.

TIG - Well, yeah, this also looks ok. And I like Cumberbatch so I'll probably watch it.

Boyhood - uh... maybe.

You should be required to watch Selma in that case...

Everyone needs to "understand" what that was about.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I do think it's a well done love story, but I don't think that's good enough to give BP to these days. The other 4 I've seen are far more interesting and overall better films. Though if this were the mid to late 90's it would probably be locked to win. It's better than The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love.

It's a good story, but I wouldn't classify it as well done at all. It's so ewwwww and boring. 

• Like 1

It's probably easiest to think about with special effects. Someone throws a punch. Placing the sound effect of the impact is editing. If the body falls and hits the floor, that body fall sfx is also editing. So is laying in the ambience of the industrial furnace in the warehouse where the fight is happening, putting in the sparks that sizzle in the background, and also the mini-gun blasting the bad guy (and the bullet hits as they impact his body). Etc.

Thanks a lot Tele.

:sherlock:

Boyhood - uh... maybe.

GBH isn't pretentious.

Boyhood really isn't pretentious.

Whiplash? Not pretentious.

• Like 6

Yeah, if they thought Selma could pull a Million Dollar Baby and just "surprise" everyone at the end of the year they were wrong. 10 years ago was completely different. They really should've saved it for 2015, but maybe they wanted a contender in the race still after Interstellar was obviously not happening.

• Like 1

You should be required to watch Selma in that case...

Everyone needs to "understand" what that was about.

It's a good story, but I wouldn't classify it as well done at all. It's so ewwwww and boring. 

Guys, I didn't say that I don't know who MLK was. I said I don't understand the phenomenon. There are much more interesting and worthy of attention historic characters that don't have movies made about them.

• Like 1