CelestialFairyIX

Animated Films, When Will An Animated Film Win The Coveted Best Picture Oscar?

Toy Story 3 wasn't even the best ANIMATED film in 2010, so it was hardly deserving of BP.

And WTF? The LEGO movie doesn't deserve to even be in the conversation of BP.

Agreed with your second point, but not at all with your first. The only movie released in 2010 near TS3's level was Inception. Even then, inception wasn't a "perfect" film. TS3 is one of the few times I can say that it was nearly a perfect film. Everything was executed immaculately with that movie. And it's not like they were trying to execute something simple either, it had the depth too.

• Like 2

I don't imagine most of this forum agrees that the best film of 2010 was TS3. How would you all expect the Academy to?

That year was insanely loaded. I could make a case for any of TS3, Inception, True Grit, or The Social Network as the best film of the year, and The King's Speech and Winter's Bone aren't far behind. 

• Like 2

I'm in this bizarre position of trashing the Oscars for certain egregious snubs while still defending them against exceedingly arbitrary demands from people who expect their tastes to match up exactly with their own. It's not like there aren't plenty of live action films that truly deserve awards as well.

• Like 1

I do think there's a good chance that if that one is another breakout hit like Frozen, it could become the first non-Pixar movie to get nominated since Beauty and the Beast. 

Musker and Clements may very well deliver a wonderful, magical movie for the ages but even their finest (Aladdin, The Little Mermaid) aren't exactly BP baits. So I'd be pleasantly surprised if Moana does end up with a nom.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

Musker and Clements may very well deliver a wonderful, magical movie for the ages but even their finest (Aladdin, The Little Mermaid) aren't exactly BP baits. So I'd be pleasantly surprised if Moana does end up with a nom.

I do hope Moana achieves critical and financial success, which will further intensify Walt Disney Animated Studios' playing-field and monument their greatest strength as developers of animated musicals.  Their greatest commercial and critical success have always stemmed from their animated musicals, its about the ingenuity and sense of adventure and affection the films hold that draw in an immense population of audiences.  Such is the case with Frozen, the epitome of a 21st Century animated musical.  I have high hopes for Disney's musicals, they have always taken my heart to be honest, yes, I'm a sucker for Disney animated musicals and I'm hoping Moana's music and story catapults this love to another league (No sexual reference intended). 

• Like 1

At this point, it seems both the Good Dinosaur and Inside Out can be considered front-runners towards receiving nominations for Best Picture. As is the case with a large portion of Best Picture victors, the film not only encapsulates art, story telling, and rivetting performances but pushes the boundaries regarding what is possible with film. Personally, Inside Out seems to quintessentially fit two of the three criteria but animation wise, it was/is not as ambitious as the Good Dinosaur seems to be. I'm going for the bold and precarious choice of The Good Dinosaur winning Best Animated Feature and receiving a Best Picture nomination.

IO wouldn't be nominated even if TGD wasn't around. The rules changed for voting after the 2011 ceremony to the disadvantage of the non Oscar baits. I highly doubt 5% of the Academy would have voted for Inside Out as their #1 movie of the year after the slew of Oscar season hopefuls. You can thank The Blind Side for screwing things up again.  :angry:

It won't happen in the short/medium run

Animation has been giving great and culturally relevant films during the last two decades, but despite the incredible quality of those films, they're always despised just for being drawn movies. No matter if a movie gets a nod, it will never be seen as a contender.

I hate the Animated Film category because is like a ghetto to easily please voters consciences. They saw Pixar quality movies coming and feared that maybe in a future they would have to give BP to an animated film, so they created a category to bury them.

And if an animated movie is an extraordinary gem (TS3, Up, Beauty and the Beast), then they reward it with a nod in BP.

If IO weren't animated it would be considered the frontrunner for the Oscar next year. That's sad!

• Like 1

If it weren't for TGD I'd say Inside Out is a lock for a BP nom being the best-reviewed film of the year so far. But if there are two great Pixar films I find it more likely they'd split the votes and neither would get in.

Yeah, this is exactly what I expect to happen as well if TGD lives up to the classic Pixar standard. Moreover, if TGD is great it's also very possible one of the two could be snubbed for a nom in the animated category.

Edited by MovieMan89

I can't imagine one missing out on BAF if they're both great. They'd almost certainly be 1 2 in votes with nothing else appearing to challenge them. Even if you consider Shaun I can't see three more films getting more votes than one of the Pixar movies

Edited by tribefan695

With Zootopia's chances of winning at less than 1%, we shall continue to dream...  

Hopefully the highest ceiling is cracked open by a deserving animated film in the near future.  As animation continues to ride on high tides, we can only hope the stigma surrounding the genre as nothing more than child's entertainment is soon dispelled and the genre soon is revered as the form of art that it is.  Animation is an amazing, creative, and wonderful expression of art that deserves the same amount of attention and reverence as live action films and one can only hope that one day we view it as such.  The highest ceiling for animation to break is to win that coveted Best Picture oscar and I'm certain it will happen one day.  If Beauty and the Beast couldn't do it, if Up couldn't do it, and if Toy Story 3 couldn't do it, then some other great film will do it.  That I'm sure of. 

• Like 1

If Inside Out wasn't even able to get a nom, I can't see an scenario where an animated film gets BP. There's only one chance. We need to destroy the Animated Feature award, an awful guetto conceived to prevent a BP win for an animated film.

• Like 2