CelestialFairyIX

Animated Films, When Will An Animated Film Win The Coveted Best Picture Oscar?

The more diverse the Oscar voting audience becomes (primarily younger and more female representation), the more likely an animated film winning Best Picture becomes.

I think Millennials will be the first generation of Oscar voters willing to pick an animated film (something like WALL-E or Spirited Away) for Best Picture. While I don't see it happening in the next 10-15 years, I definitely think a more mature/subtle WDAS, Pixar or Studio Ghibli film could snag a BP win as a lifetime achievement award for the entire genre (similar to what Return of the King did for fantasy blockbusters back in 2004). 

I'd say an animated film will win BP sometime in the next 50-60 years. Only question is when. I'd say science-fiction will get a BP win sometime in the next decade, though. 

4 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

The more diverse the Oscar voting audience becomes (primarily younger and more female representation), the more likely an animated film winning Best Picture becomes.

I think Millennials will be the first generation of Oscar voters willing to pick an animated film (something like WALL-E or Spirited Away) for Best Picture. While I don't see it happening in the next 10-15 years, I definitely think a more mature/subtle WDAS, Pixar or Studio Ghibli film could snag a BP win as a lifetime achievement award for the entire genre (similar to what Return of the King did for fantasy blockbusters back in 2004). 

I'd say an animated film will win BP sometime in the next 50-60 years. Only question is when. I'd say science-fiction will get a BP win sometime in the next decade, though. 

You know, I was going to say that this was silly, but then I thought about the year 2050. By then, nearly the entire adult population will be indoctrinated into the Disney cult. They better make sure that the animated features stay good, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

It would have to be ground breaking and not just geared towards kids. 

Hopefully they perfect that CGI/2D hybrid software because we all know a story that resonates with EVERYONE, a marketing strategy akin to Illumination's, a release date during Oscar Bait Season, and rave critical reviews = instant BP! :D 

... I wish 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dingdong123 said:

Wall-E should've won. 

If there's any justice in the world Zootopi would atleast be nominated

I agree! The movies that did get a nomination were pretty good, but I think there is a reason why nobody remembers them, save for Slumdog Millionaire. Even I watched half of Benjamin Button before getting bored.

Wall-E and The Dark Knight were two of the best films of the year, and completely topple over a majority of 2008's Best Picture nominees. I support Wall-E for that year's Best Picture.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slambros said:

I agree! The movies that did get a nomination were pretty good, but I think there is a reason why nobody remembers them, save for Slumdog Millionaire. Even I watched half of Benjamin Button before getting bored.

Wall-E and The Dark Knight were two of the best films of the year, and completely topple over a majority of 2008's Best Picture nominees. I support Wall-E for that year's Best Picture.

I was blown away with the depth and intelligence of the film Wall-E. Never was I struck by an animated film like it since The Lion King. It was political, intelligent and excellent in every way.

That's why it was a big big mess when Kung Fu Panda won the Annie's over it.