kayumanggi

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION | 487.7 M overseas ● 682.7 M worldwide

It is just your opinion! I don`t change and won`t change mine! I didn`t say about some crazy and fantastic numbers (100 mil more from that market and 150 mil more from that...). I imagine box-office like a pie, so if you are stronger  - bigger piece of pie you can get! Jurassic World obviously was much stronger (the worldwide grosses simply proves it) than MI5 - i still believe that without that rival 60 mil from Japan were sure thing!.....

Except box office doesn't actually work that way for the most part, people go to the cinema if there is something they want to see, and if there isn't then they will do something else. The pie grows and shrinks based on what is playing. this is why when Avatar was breaking records domestically, the others films didn't just disappear, they actually did fine and even broke franchise records. Or look at Japan itself last year with Frozen, a film that dwarfed JW, and yet, the rest of the films were fine and did what you would expect based on franchise history (if not better), the market simply expanded to accommodate Frozen.

It is just your opinion! I don`t change and won`t change mine! I didn`t say about some crazy and fantastic numbers (100 mil more from that market and 150 mil more from that...). I imagine box-office like a pie, so if you are stronger - bigger piece of pie you can get! Jurassic World obviously was much stronger (the worldwide grosses simply proves it) than MI5 - i still believe that without that rival 60 mil from Japan were sure thing!.....

OK here's the fact - competition plays very little role in both China and Japan. Very little role. Many big films coexist in both markets without losing money. For example TMK, MH and JBM all three mega giant blockbusters in China were released in two consecutive weekends just earlier this year. It's clear competition doesn't affect as long as audience wants to see a movie. MI5 had a very good release date in China with minimal competition and none affecting the same target. And even in markets where competition matters highly and there actually was a lot of completion to face for a movie, movies still hardly lose 15% -20% of what they could have made, excepting severe cases. So no way in hell did MI5 lose 60m in China. It would have probably made 15m more with terminator's release date due to blackout ending affect. No more

In Japan it had virtually the best release date possible for any movie - at the helm of the golden week! Obviously there would be competition during such a fantastic period but firstly competition doesn't matter in that market much and secondly any loss was recovered due to the busy holiday period. If it had been released at another date it would have lost on all the extra money it made due to the holiday season. If you don't believe me you can ask anyone in the Japan thread and they'd tell you that there's no way in hell it lost more than 5-6m by virtue of its release date. Do you even realise 30m more means 80% more!

As for Korea, competition plays little role there too. But this was a special case being sandwiched right between two mega hits. It did lose some money due to this but no more than possibly 10-15m.

So that means at most it lost out 15m+5m+15m = 35m. No more.

You can ask whoever you want to, in their respective threads if you don't believe me and you'll get the same answer.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 4

Very dissapointing numbers in China, I thought 180+ is locked. And didn't even Forbes expect 250M or something like that?

Yeah, almost everyone thought 180m+ was locked. This is one of those rare occasions where a movie didn't grow in accordance with market growth. Who knows what went wrong, most probably the movie just didn't click in with the audience this time and there wasn't really any anticipation for it either. Maybe the franchise just lost its appeal to the chinese by this time. 

Anyways I wouldn't really ever go with what Forbes people say. Most of the times they don't know much about the foreign markets they predict for.

Very dissapointing numbers in China, I thought 180+ is locked. And didn't even Forbes expect 250M or something like that?

Your post is very disappointing. It had a decent total in China, just not what some forum members were predicting. So every single Hollywood 2D release disappointed in China? Give me a break. Edited by Alfredstellar

136m is a lot of course, but compared to the growth that other hollywood franchises have seen it is a bit low.  

Hobbit
2013 - 50m
2014 - 75m
2015 - 120m

Transformers
2011 - 170m
2014 - 315m

Avengers
2012 - 85m
2015 - 235m

M:I
2012 - 100m
2015 - 136m

Of course the year of release isn't the whole picture, but still, it is a little surprising it didn't do better despite everything else.  

(I hate how often people say "locked" around here though)

Edited by IMojammer
Formatting
  • Like 3

It is just your opinion! I don`t change and won`t change mine! I didn`t say about some crazy and fantastic numbers (100 mil more from that market and 150 mil more from that...). I imagine box-office like a pie, so if you are stronger  - bigger piece of pie you can get! Jurassic World obviously was much stronger (the worldwide grosses simply proves it) than MI5 - i still believe that without that rival 60 mil from Japan were sure thing!.....

Oh I agree with you!!  Going up against JW & Minions in Japan - 2 movies that are in the top 5 WW of the year - I am impressed M! kept up as well as it did!!  There is always competition.

• Like 1