Noctis

Noctis' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far...TOP TEN BEGINS

Toy Story 3 is so overrated that if I wrote a list of overrated films, it would be rank -1.

Toy Story 3 is one of those films that is mediocre all the way through but has a great ending making everyone believe they just watched a great film. In fact, they just watched 10 great minutes of an okayish film.

• Like 2

2400_d021_00502r.jpeg

26. BRIDESMAIDS

"There's a colonial woman on the wing! There's something they're not telling us! She was out there churning butter! She was churning butter!"

The first time I saw Bridesmaids, I liked it. But with repeat viewings, I've grown to love it. So many people consider Melissa McCarthy to be their favorite in this film, but I disagree completely. The film is great because of Kristen Wiig. She's the reason the film reaches the heights it does. She's so fucking hilarious with her deadpan expressions, and her comedic timing is perfect. I adore Kristen Wiig, and she's the number one funniest actress in Hollywood because she understands so well that it's the little things that people find funny, and not over the top reactions. I still find Melissa McCarthy's Oscar nomination to be one of the most bewildering nominations in the Academy's history. Kristen Wiig should have been in her position. The airplane scene is an all-timer for me.

how_to_train_your_dragon_12.png

25. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON

"I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him, and I saw myself."

The best animated film of 2010 (which was an astonishing year for animation), and one of the best films of the decade so far. I think almost everyone wanted their own dragon after watching this movie...plenty of people here have reviewed the movie better than I can, so I'll keep it short. The story is phenomenal, the characters are full of emotion and multi-dimensional, the animation is jaw-dropping, and the musical score by John Powell is incredible. The journey between Hiccup and his dragon, Toothless, is one of the most moving friendships ever displayed on screen. There is a scene towards the end of the film where Hiccup loses his leg and gets a metallic one...and the few seconds where we see Toothless (who lost half of his tail wing) walking by Hiccup's side honestly made me tear up. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 11

Toy Story 3 is one of those films that is mediocre all the way through but has a great ending making everyone believe they just watched a great film. In fact, they just watched 10 great minutes of an okayish film.

Yep. First time I saw it I thought it was really great, but upon a second viewing I realised that the only thing I liked was the last 5 minutes. It's not bad, just okay.

• Like 1

Holy crap. Did Jessie really admit to not liking a blockbuster that most mainstream audiences loved? :o

I don't prefer blockbusters, I just stick up for them. I bring balance to these forums when people shit all over big budget blockbusters even though we all watch them. You all need people like me, so you can point your fucking fingers and say 'that's the bad guy'

:)

• Like 1

I don't prefer blockbusters, I just stick up for them. I bring balance to these forums when people shit all over big budget blockbusters even though we all watch them. You all need people like me, so you can point your fucking fingers and say 'that's the bad guy'

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVjRe8QXFHY

• Like 1

ac9585a9dfb1448cb087e3771249d106.jpg

24. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

"Was all of this legal? Absolutely fucking not."

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese have never been more incredible than they are in the Wolf of Wall Street. It's a brilliant look into the toxic (but addictive) world of money. It's actually a very timely film if you care to listen as the movie feels like a mirror reflecting the current state of affairs in America. It paints a fascinating portrait of how greed corrupts, and the unfair advantage that wealth gives to people when it comes to the law. Great film, and one of 2013's finest. 

anna-hathaway-selina-kyle-catwoman-the-d

23. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

"You're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large...and leave so little for the rest of us."

The Dark Knight Rises is my favorite of the Batman trilogy. Problem? Fuck off. Batman Begins is a decent film, and TDK is great. While The Dark Knight Rises isn't quite as lean as its predecessor and admittedly more messy, it is still nevertheless an epic film. That word gets thrown around a lot, but the scale, ambition, and set pieces of the finale really are epic. I've said it before about Nolan, but he has an incredible quality which allows him to absorb you into his universe. You feel like you're right in it, and you believe in the logistics of the world. 

The acting is great from everyone involved, and in particular Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. I consider her performance to be the second best in the entire trilogy behind only Heath Ledger's iconic portrayal as the Joker. The Dark Knight Rises was the opposite of The Avengers for me. While that film was overly light-hearted, dull, and lacking in emotion, Rises is ambitious, thoughtful, and thrilling. The last ten minutes of the film ended the trilogy on a spectacular note, and it only gets better with repeat viewings for me. And you know what, too? I loved the Talia twist and her speech about the slow knife was brilliant...the only true flaw of this film was her death scene. Otherwise, though, The Dark Knight Rises is a great achievement in blockbuster filmmaking. 

Suck it, niptickers. 

• Like 9