Impact

Best director predictions! 2015!

Please RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY for this!
I think he is the best on this list, Scott is a living legend, author of so many incredible movies like Alien, Blade Runner, Duellists, Thelma & Louise, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Kingdom Of Heaven, The Counselor, Legend ...
Scott is fascinating, fantastic eye.

The Martian isn't his best film, but it's still an excellent film, very well done, one of the best this year with Mad Max.

It would be fun to reward him with a science fiction movie, it's the master of the genre, this is the right time for him!

23 minutes ago, Bigausorus said:

Please RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY for this!
I think he is the best on this list, Scott is a living legend, author of so many incredible movies like Alien, Blade Runner, Duellists, Thelma & Louise, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Kingdom Of Heaven, The Counselor, Legend ...
Scott is fascinating, fantastic eye.

The Martian isn't his best film, but it's still an excellent film, very well done, one of the best this year with Mad Max.

It would be fun to reward him with a science fiction movie, it's the master of the genre, this is the right time for him!

This type of thinking is exactly what's wrong with the Academy.

• Like 3

Because the Academy was too busy rewarding people who didn't deliver their best films but for whom it was "the right time"? 

Although Scott's loss in 2000 is really a rare exception to this, since it was definitely the right time, yet they picked Soderbergh, a non-veteran who was just as much if not more deserving. 

Yeah, I hate giving someone an Oscar because they're "overdue".  Even if they are, vote for the best of the year, period.  All the Oscar politics is annoying.

If you feel Hitchcock did the best job directing a film 2 years in a row, so what?  Vote for him both years, if he's good enough for two years in a row in your view, then he deserves the vote.

If an unconventional sci-fi film like Ex Machina deserves a nomination in your eyes, vote to give it a nomination.

If you think the latest Pixar film was the best of year, say so and vote for it, don't give it a lesser recognition just because it's an animated film.

If you think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is garbage Oscar Bait, don't vote to nominate just because it's an "Oscar genre film"

Oscar noms and wins shouldn't be a genre.  Neither should tentpoles either, honestly.  I shouldn't watch a film and go, "That's an Oscar film," I should watch the film and think, "That was a great movie, it deserves recognition for how good it was."

This is coming from a guy who's favorites from the last few years range from Boyhood, to Guardians of the Galaxy, to Inside Out, to Snowpiercer, to The Immigrant, to Life of Pi, to Gravity, to 12 Years a Slave, to Inside Llewyn Davis, to The Social Network, to Her, to the Wolf of Wall Street, to Spotlight, to Ex Machina, to Birdman, to the Avengers, to Before Midnight, etc.

Im not saying the Oscars are always guilty of this.  They've been getting better at inspired nominations.  It's just tiring to see the academy nominate things for reasons other than it actually being nomination worthy.

1 hour ago, Spaghetti-3PO said:

Frankly, even Docter has a zero chance of happening. Animation just has too much of a stigma to really keep it back. IO likely missing a BP nod sadly won't help either.

Theres a better chance Jem gets nominated for a Oscar then a animated film getting nominated for director it seems!

BTW-a animated film was nominated for visuals, Nightmare Before Christmas. Granted it was stop motion, but still!

I did read somewhere that TS1 was disqualified in 1995 for visual effects as it was actually submitted.

Technically a animated film did win though, Avatar.

In the last 4 years, the award went to Oscar worthy films with a lot of technical difficulties. The Martian and Mad Max fits this criteria, but both directors are not overdue, because their films have already been awarded by the Oscars. Ridley Scott's Gladiator won the ultimate prize best picture and George Miller's Happy feat won best animated feature. I think the best directed movie of the year is Mad Max, but would the academy give it to a sequel that has an upcoming installment "Mad Max: The Wasteland." The last 4 films that won were standalone features. You could argue that The Godfather Part 2 was a sequel that won best director, but it was viewed as the final installment, until Cappola decided to make one last film 18 years later. I see the academy giving the award to Miller for the final installment similar to the scenario with The Lord of the Rings(fotr was the best directed movie of 2001). That's why I think Ridley will win, but I'm just making assumptions and could be 100% wrong. 

10 hours ago, movieboner said:

In the last 4 years, the award went to Oscar worthy films with a lot of technical difficulties. The Martian and Mad Max fits this criteria, but both directors are not overdue, because their films have already been awarded by the Oscars. Ridley Scott's Gladiator won the ultimate prize best picture and George Miller's Happy feat won best animated feature. I think the best directed movie of the year is Mad Max, but would the academy give it to a sequel that has an upcoming installment "Mad Max: The Wasteland." The last 4 films that won were standalone features. You could argue that The Godfather Part 2 was a sequel that won best director, but it was viewed as the final installment, until Cappola decided to make one last film 18 years later. I see the academy giving the award to Miller for the final installment similar to the scenario with The Lord of the Rings(fotr was the best directed movie of 2001). That's why I think Ridley will win, but I'm just making assumptions and could be 100% wrong. 

The biggest thing that hurts Miller is the open voting. If it was still limited to the Directors branch or had voting like BP I think he'd win, but Mad Max won't be everyone's cup of tea in the Academy.

Pre-New Year's Predictions

1. Miller

2. McCarthy

3. Haynes

4. Scott

5. Hm.... Innaritu

First one out: McKay

First four seem like mortal locks at this point. Fifth spot is between Innaritu, McKay, the Berg, and Abrahamson. Could go any way.