Olive

Best Animated Feature-2015 predictions

I see tgd and io trading the top 2 positions among voters, especially with TGD being fresher in their minds at that time. I mean, IO may have the novel concept, but TGD certainly appears to have the Oscar friendly tone. For my money, though, Shaun the Sheep deserves to be right up there

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I see tgd and io trading the top 2 positions among voters, especially with TGD being fresher in their minds at that time. I mean, IO may have the novel concept, but TGD certainly appears to have the Oscar friendly tone. For my money, though, Shaun the Sheep deserves to be right up there

The winner is going to be the one that grosses more.

Let's at least wait until early reactions for TGD before claiming it is a lock or a frontrunner on par with IO.

You think so? The Academy has never been Pixar oppressors before so I have no problem with thinking that two pics can get in. Especially with the way the votes are counted; they need a certain amount of first places which is why I think Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur and Anomalisa are safe-- they will likely evoke passion.

I was going by their snub of Monsters University, the last Pixar movie before this year, for DM2 and The Croods. MU wasn't a frontrunner, but to not even get nominated, despite its technical achievements, was definitely eyebrow raising and a sign that the Academy weren't simply Pixar acolytes as folks accused them of being after the Brave win. Or at least they were trying to show that they didn't have a bias towards Pixar.

If the latter is the case, and if IO has got this in the bag, then I can see them snubbing TGD if it isn't on IO level or if it is merely good like MU.  

I was going by their snub of Monsters University, the last Pixar movie before this year, for DM2 and The Croods. MU wasn't a frontrunner, but to not even get nominated, despite its technical achievements, was definitely eyebrow raising and a sign that the Academy weren't simply Pixar acolytes as folks accused them of being after the Brave win. Or at least they were trying to show that they didn't have a bias towards Pixar.

If the latter is the case, and if IO has got this in the bag, then I can see them snubbing TGD if it isn't on IO level or if it is merely good like MU.  

It was eyebrow raising, but it wasn't a good enough movie that you couldn't make a case for Croods and DM2 over it. I certainly don't want to assume TGD won't be better than Monsters U. 

I suppose anything can happen now that The Lego Movie has been snubbed, but everything I've read about TGD indicates that it's Pixar in full ambition mode. I can't imagine the Academy letting the fact that it's by the same studio as another movie get in the way of singing its praises. Heck, they nominated Steven Soderbergh for best director twice in the same year.

Edited by tribefan695

Inside Out

The Good Dinsosaur and/or Shaun The Sheep

Minions

Peanuts

Anomalisa

Yes - I know, I know. Contrary to all logic, I think Minions has a shot due to the fact that the animation branch adore European films (which Minions is - being made in Paris). Weak reviews will make it an outside shot but I think it very well might. I think its chances are worse than the other 4 but better than the Little Prince.

Edited by MinaTakla

Isn't The Little Prince European as well?

True, both of them are European but am leaning towards Minions due to its financial success despite not being an American film so my crazy theory would be that the Academy will reward Minions over LP by giving it a nomination in light of its 1B$ success.

I also think Shaun has a better chance than Good Dinosaur for a nom.

IO will win no doubt.

Minions isn't getting nominated, reception is too mixed.

I think it might actually - just like DM2 which had better reviews.

I know it sounds very unlikely but I think it will eventually get a nom not because of reviews but because of the highly biased animation branch who only nominates - and not the full academy - for this category.

Edited by MinaTakla

I think it might actually - just like DM2 which had better reviews.

I know it sounds very unlikely but I think it will eventually get a nom not because of reviews but because of the highly biased animation branch who only nominates - and not the full academy - for this category.

Inside Out, Good Dino, Shaun, Marnie, Anomalisa, Peanuts, and maybe Hotel Transylvania and Spongebob will all get in before Minions does.

• Like 2

Inside Out, Good Dino, Shaun, Marnie, Anomalisa, Peanuts, and maybe Hotel Transylvania and Spongebob will all get in before Minions does.

I agree on IO and Shaun.

Anomalisa and Peanuts too.

Hotel and Spongebob no way in my opinion. Minions hops in before them due to its big financial success which sometimes the Academy likes to reward. (like when DM2 got in instead of MU)

Edited by MinaTakla