Olive

Best Animated Feature-2015 predictions

Inside out

The Good Dinosaur

Peanuts

some movie I haven't heard of

some other movie I haven't heard of (or possibly Minions) 

So true about the other 2 nominees being obscure usually. I don't think Minions will make it since it's a fluffy spinoff, but who knows. DM2 made it in 2013 lol. 

Inside Out is the only certainty so far. Good Dinosaur is also very likely, assuming it doesn't get pushed back yet again.

Peanuts is doing something new and different with CG. The Short Films & Feature Animation Branch really values craft, so that's a point in its favor for a nomination. Nostalgia will also work for it, especially with the older members.

I'm also expecting at least one film distributed by GKids that few of us have heard of. When Marnie Was There is a strong possibility, along with Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet if it gets a qualifying release this year.

Edited by Murgatroyd

I'm not really expecting it to, but if 'The Boy and the Beast' manages to get a nomination this year, I will instantly forgive the Academy for snubbing Lego/HTTYD2. 

Peanuts is doing something new and different with CG. The Short Films & Feature Animation Branch really values craft, so that's a point in its favor for a nomination. Nostalgia will also work for it, especially with the older members.

Apparently not judging by The Lego Movie's snub.

I saw The Prophet in Toronto last year and really hated it. I hope it's not even in the conversation.

Monster Trucks is CG/live action so likely not to eligible.

The number of animated films released this year is comparable to last year despite only 1 film from DWA and no film from WDAS since both Sony and Universal have an animated film this year and Pixar has two films plus Paramount released SpongeBob.

I'm sure Shaun the Sheep will get a qualifying run, I imagine The Weinstein Company or Universal will eventually release it in the US. 

Edited by Jonwo

I'm not sold on The Good Dino making it. If Inside Out is considerably better they might not want to vote for a merely good Pixar movie when there's a great one in the mix. Obviously, both of them could be great or both of them could be not so great but my bet right now would be on IO.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on The Good Dino making it. If Inside Out is considerably better they might not want to vote for a merely good Pixar movie when there's a great one in the mix. Obviously, both of them could be great or both of them could be not so great but my bet right now would be on IO.

also Good Dinosaur seems to have went through so struggles in it's development with the switching directors and all, I personally don't think it sounds all that great either. but I could be completely wrong. as it stands now. Inside Out and Peanuts are the strongest contenders. 

• Like 1

Apparently not judging by The Lego Movie's snub.

The Lego Movie's innovations were impressive on a software level, but in the end product, it was a difference in degree rather than kind. They did a very, very good job of rendering lots and lots of plastic, but "looking like plastic" is something computer graphics have been doing since day one. In contrast, my immediate reaction on seeing the first teaser for Peanuts was "I've never seen anything quite like that."

Inside Out will win. Second most likely is Minions, then Peanuts, then Good Dinosaur, imo.

The Lego Movie's innovations were impressive on a software level, but in the end product, it was a difference in degree rather than kind. They did a very, very good job of rendering lots and lots of plastic, but "looking like plastic" is something computer graphics have been doing since day one. In contrast, my immediate reaction on seeing the first teaser for Peanuts was "I've never seen anything quite like that."

Really? You've never seen a cartoon before? lol

LEGO is amazingly impressive on a visual level. Even though its been out for over a year, whenever I see a clip or shot of it, I can't help but think "how the fuck did they do that?"