Olive

Weekend 3/13-15 Official Estimates: Cinderella 70.1m, RAN 11m

Lion King was a rip off from a japenese anime and there was a trial I think.

Japenese were not amused.

I knew someone would bring that up.

Lion King was definitely inspired by Hamlet. Simba is Swahili for lion and just happens to rhyme with Kimba. I think the closest thing is that picture of him standing on the rock that everyone uses. And nobody sued anybody as far as I know.

That is something anime fans always bring up because they hate Disney. Even though Tezuka himself was inspired by Disney.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

And that is exactly why Disney's scorched-earth appropriation of all the classic fairytales completely sucks. (Do you think THE LITTLE MERMAID and ALADDIN were created by Disney too?)

Most of Disney's fairy tale adaptations are considered timeless, deal with it. :P

I think Howard Ashman and Alan Menken were one of the greatest composing teams of all time, in terms of music scores. Nothing beats their Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast combo (and some of Aladdin too). People really don't give Howard Ashman in particular enough credit for the renaissance. Given how hands on and directly involved he was with every aspect of those first few films of that era, there would be no modern day Disney without him.

• Like 2

:(

I need a drink.

No need to feel glum. I don't care if some of my films are inspired by or based off previous works. As long as I enjoy the films, I think I'm fine.

Edited by Fancyarcher

And that is exactly why Disney's scorched-earth appropriation of all the classic fairytales completely sucks. (Do you think THE LITTLE MERMAID and ALADDIN were created by Disney too?)

Just because Disney put there own take on them, that does not by any means mean that they are bad. I was born in 1990. don't disc my childhood. 

Most of Disney's fairy tale adaptations are considered timeless, deal with it. :P

There's nothing wrong with adapting something in the public domain. The problem arises when you then block anyone else from trying to use the same public domain material.

• Like 6

Just because Disney put there own take on them, that does not by any means mean that they are bad. I was born in 1990. don't disc my childhood. 

I never was saying they were bad... the trouble comes only in Disney's overwhelming push to control the entire property.

• Like 2

By making new versions of the fairytales, Disney dissed Tele's childhood  adulthood   mid-200s (I think).

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Do they actually do that? They do that over their OWN characters, yes, but did they ever over the fairy tales? Closest thing I can think of was Disney undercutting the release of a different Alice in Wonderland, and that was back when the film originally came out.

I thought that for the most part, when they went after stuff, it was cash-in outfits deliberately trying to make their stuff look like the Disney versions.

Edited by TServo2049

Do they actually do that? They do that over their OWN characters, yes, but did they ever over the fairy tales? Closest thing I can think of was Disney undercutting the release of a different Alice in Wonderland, and that was back when the film originally came out.

um, YES, no matter how many studios I send my little mermaid script to (it's sort of fifty shades of grey inspired with me playing the prince and ariel has a fish top half and a woman bottom half instead) they ALL turned it down. clearly afraid of the mouse house. why reject brilliance otherwise?

• Like 3