kayumanggi

BABY DRIVER | Sony | From Director Edgar Wright | On Digital HD 9/12, DVD and Blu-Ray 10/10

Somewhat related, saw this billboard on my way home today:

KLsHHgQ.jpg

It's actually getting marketed here! There's also the billboard that says NEED A BATTERY which is close to my username!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Somewhat related, saw this billboard on my way home today:

KLsHHgQ.jpg

It's actually getting marketed here! There's also the billboard that says NEED A BATTERY which is close to my username!

Wright and Elgort are on The Project tonight. I never watch that but might have to to see the interview.

• Like 1

Oh he's actually in New Zealand right now. That's neat.

40 minutes ago, Lavochkin said:

Sony will need it considering that they are getting sued for this movie.

:jeb!:

The lawsuit is over one song (T-Rex's Deborah) that was semi-famous at best. Still, the damage will not be that harm to the movie. It's not like they used "Happy birthday" song without permission.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/warner-music-pays-14-million-863120

20 hours ago, BenedictL11 said:

The lawsuit is over one song (T-Rex's Deborah) that was semi-famous at best. Still, the damage will not be that harm to the movie. It's not like they used "Happy birthday" song without permission.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/warner-music-pays-14-million-863120

I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with this T-Rex song before the movie. Baby Driver made it more famous for sure. :)

If I understand the situation, the guy suing the studio owns the rights ot this song only since 2014. I don't know when the clearing of the songs happened, but the songs were written into the script. Wright started writing in 2007 and the first srcript reading happened in 2012, so it seems possible that they had cleared the song way before the rights went to the current owner. It's obviously not a coincidence that this is the only song where this issue came up.

Anyways, it's an interesting story, and I'm curious to see how it will end. Hopefully it doesn't affect the home release of the film.

As for the possible price-tag, I assume the price of the other 34 songs (including the similarly semi-famous "Debra" by Beck) should be some kind of benchmark.

Just realized that Baby Driver was originally supposed to be released today. Thank God they were confident enough to move it to June. I guess no one at Sony thought there will be $98.5M in the bag by the time of the old release date. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

In the pic’s seven weekend run, Baby Driver has averaged a -36% week-to-week hold, a number any distributor would envy. Sony is currently planning to take the movie wide again during the weekend of Aug. 25.

Do it, Sony!

• Thanks 1

So on day 59 (last Friday) the movie reached the 5x multiplier at the domestic BO.

Regarding the worldwide BO I missed asking a few weeks ago if anyone thinks $200M is possible. Not a question anymore, 200M is happening, maybe today.

So far the UK has been the number 1 overseas market ($16.3M) for Baby Driver, but China is taking over this week ($13.9M in 5 days). Thanks to great legs, the movie has also done well in France ($6.2M) and exceptionally well in Australia ($10.3M). We'll see how it can hold up in Russia on week two. Release in Italy and South Korea is still coming.

Overall I think Sony can be more than happy with these numbers. Digital release is around the corner, DVD and BR comes out in October.

Box Office: Edgar Wright's 'Baby Driver' Was The Summer's MVP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/09/07/box-office-edgar-wrights-baby-driver-was-the-summers-mvp/