CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

What reason?

Paul Walker's death?

Are you saying there wouldn't have been an increase had Paul Walker lived?

It wouldn't have hit 67m OD had he not died. It wouldn't be on track for a 325+ finish.

Fast 5 OD - 34m

Fast 6 OD - 38m

Fast 7 OD - 67m

It's pretty obvious Walkers tragedy boosted this movie's gross.

I do believe there would have been an increase, but you have to take Paul's death into account. lots of people loved that guy. I believe the increase could have accounted for $20m+ of it's opening.

More like 20m on the opening day

Wow. I originally had this at 103M, I'm really quite stunned. I didn't think the film was particularly good but it's great to see a massive opening weekend. This is the biggest OW in a year and a half!

Paul Walker had a huge impact.

Its not like OMG I never seen a FF film but must watch for Walker.

Its hmm, it looks good and its Walker last role.

Its what you call a contributing factor. 

It is the role that Walker was known for and liked for and people knew this film was a tribute to him. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Furious 6 is not as loved as Fast 5 so IMHO no chance this series would increase without Paul Walker's death.

Nah, it would have increased. Everything in those trailers would've been in the movie and the trailers whether PW was alive or dead. It would have increased, but not by this much.

• Like 1

In terms of tickets sold 16th biggest ever opening weekend.

Only the legend of the legend openers ahead

TA

TDK

Spider Man 3

DH2

IM3

DMC

TDKR

Spiderman

THG

CF

New Moon 

Shrek 3

BD 1-2 

Shrek 2

you would have thought Fast  7 would join the list of epic openers

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

I said in the "Furious 7" thread there would be a Paul Walker bump.  Clearly there was.  The issues is there is no real mathematical way to measure exactly what it was.  All we can really say is yes his Death brought even more awareness to the movie.  I think it was going to increase regardless but this number was astronomical for the month of April.  "Furious 7" just smacked the hell out out of Cap 2. This number is ridiculous on some many levels.  It shows me that this movie clearly dominated the mainstream consciousness.  Also the social media response to the ending has brought a lot of awareness.  It's sad that Paul can't continue but at least he went out on Top with this movie.   Now for it to make Billion it must do 700 Overseas.  300 Million is a lock cause even with a 2x multiplier you are looking at 280.   So 1 Billion looks pretty good from here. 

• Like 3