CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

CINDERELLA: $230.0M Overseas Total / $397.251M Global Total

Does this suggest that the fairy tale genre is weak, decent, strong or very strong.

Not only did it break April OW record but it beat the Easter weekend record too

By a wide margin.

I said in the "Furious 7" thread there would be a Paul Walker bump.  Clearly there was.  The issues is there is no real mathematical way to measure exactly what it was.  All we can really say is yes his Death brought even more awareness to the movie.  I think it was going to increase regardless but this number was astronomical for the month of April.  "Furious 7" just smacked the hell out out of Cap 2. This number is ridiculous on some many levels.  It shows me that this movie clearly dominated the mainstream consciousness.  Also the social media response to the ending has brought a lot of awareness.  It's sad that Paul can't continue but at least he went out on Top with this movie.   Now for it to make Billion it must do 700 Overseas.  300 Million is a lock cause even with a 2x multiplier you are looking at 280.   So 1 Billion looks pretty good from here. 

I know there's no way to put a number to it, but I feel like anyone saying there isn't such a thing as a "Ledger Effect" is deluding themselves.  

• Like 7

It did 16 Million OD on April 2 overseas.   I don't know what the other numbers have been this weekend.  

Uh... in a couple of countries, maybe. It opens virtually everywhere.

• Like 1

Oh there is an effect unquestionably.

I know we feel like we have to be pc about it, but this got bandwagon jumping morbid curiosity. People who had never seen a F&F movie but came to see it as they knew he died halfway through the shoot.

I've spoken to people in my workplace who were doing just that. I called them out on it, laughing at how odd I find that as a reason to see the movie. But there you go.

Win win for universal. Although I think it would have done around $110 million under normal circumstances.

• Like 1

People get an morbid attachment to people who pass early in life.

Like I known many people that have passed away personally, however the ones that stuck with me were guys I know my age who left to soon. 

I don't think my brain can reconcile people going to see a movie almost only as if to pay respects to an actor, but I believe in the awareness factor that a death causes.

• Like 2

I don't think my brain can reconcile people going to see a movie almost only as if to pay respects to an actor, but I believe in the awareness factor that a death causes.

#ForPaul

THE DIVERGENT SERIES: INSURGENT: $120.2M Overseas Total / $223.6M Global Total

3D really didn't helped much OS :lol: 

Box Office Mojo ‏@boxofficemojo 2m2 minutes ago

'Furious 7' opened to a stunning $240 million overseas this weekend (and that's without China, Russia or Japan): http://bit.ly/1y7jx67

^_^

movies rarely get full mainstream media buzz and Fast 7 got tons of it.