MovieGuyKyle17

Weekend Estimates: Age of Adaline - 13.4M; Furious 7 - 18.3M; Ex Machina - 5.4M | Avengers - 201.2M OS OW (55% markets)

I thought Blake Lively was pretty good in Age of Adaline. I like the way she spoke and carried herself, like someone who's not really of this time. Acting-wise the guy from Game of Thrones who plays her love interest was weakest. But the movie really comes alive when Harrison Ford appears. I wish it had focused more on them. And I wish it had been less stupid. That awful V.O. narration just wouldn't let me get lost in the silliness of it all. STOP EXPLAINING EVERYTHING with scientific "facts"! I'm never gonna believe it. It would have been a much better movie if it had treated the audience with intelligence and allowed us to discover Adaline's secrets ourselves, piece by piece, like the puzzle that she is. 

A24's EX MACHINA exploded in wide release with $5.4M in 1,255 theaters--$4,336 per. Total is now $6.9M.

This is going to be A24's biggest hit.

Lol $4.3K per theater average is not "exploding". And saying that this will be A24 biggest hit is not saying much considering Spring Breakers is currently their biggest with just $14.1M. 

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good, but I think they should have rolled it out a bit more slowly while upping advertising a bit. It's a pretty good film that deserves a wider look from audiences.

Good, but I think they should have rolled it out a bit more slowly while upping advertising a bit. It's a pretty good film that deserves a wider look from audiences.

The problem is called Avengers. They probably wanted as much people to see it before Avengers 2 opens.

The problem is called Avengers. They probably wanted as much people to see it before Avengers 2 opens.

why before Avengers? They could open it wide after.

Anyway it's a small budget film, this is fine.

why before Avengers? They could open it wide after.

Anyway it's a small budget film, this is fine.

I am hoping it holds minimally well next weekend and then A24 should expand it to 2500 theaters on the May 7 weekend.

I am hoping it holds minimally well next weekend and then A24 should expand it to 2500 theaters on the May 7 weekend.

Lol this as probably as much they will show Ex Machina. It's not going to expand to 2500 theaters. 

1.) Legs will be cut short cause of Avengers 2, expect a near 50% next weekend.

2.) A24 is a small studio they don't have that kind of money. 

Lol this as probably as much they will show Ex Machina. It's not going to expand to 2500 theaters. 

1.) Legs will be cut short cause of Avengers 2, expect a near 50% next weekend.

2.) A24 is a small studio they don't have that kind of money. 

A 50% drop is what I consider a good hold ;) I am expecting close to 60% drop personally.

I think 2500 theaters are possible if the movie doesn't drop like a rock next weekend.

It's a bit odd that A24 is distributing this in US given that in the movie's home country it is a Universal film. Universal could have turned it into a proper hit in America.

• Like 2

It's a bit odd that A24 is distributing this in US given that in the movie's home country it is a Universal film. Universal could have turned it into a proper hit in America.

It is being released by Universal everywhere except America. It was also released here by Universal.

Edited by CJohn

A 50% drop is what I consider a good hold ;) I am expecting close to 60% drop personally.

I think 2500 theaters are possible if the movie doesn't drop like a rock next weekend.

Lol they aren't going to expand it with just $2.7M..... 

It's not going to get 2500 theaters even if drops 30%...... A24 largest release was 1300 theaters......

It is being released by Universal everywhere except America. It was also released here by Universal.

Huh, I thought it was only in the UK (where the movie was made) and other studios picked it up for international release. I figured maybe Universal only wanted to release it domestically.

That's really strange then.

• Like 1

Lol they aren't going to expand it with just $2.7M..... 

It's not going to get 2500 theaters even if drops 30%...... A24 largest release was 1300 theaters......

Let me dream :lol:

I honestly just want it to beat Spring Breakers's 14.1M total to become A24 biggest movie :lol: 

Let me dream :lol:

I honestly just want it to beat Spring Breakers's 14.1M total to become A24 biggest movie :lol:

It's most likely going to be A24 biggest movie. I personally don't think it will get a 60%+ next weekend at all. When Avengers 1 opened most movies suffered 50% drops. I see it dropping right there. 

Edited by Godzilla likes Tom Cruise