MovieGuyKyle17

Weekend Estimates: Age of Adaline - 13.4M; Furious 7 - 18.3M; Ex Machina - 5.4M | Avengers - 201.2M OS OW (55% markets)

You're right, I thought the $# was 26.3 not 27.3. Still, not great, essentially no increase when you factor in inflation.

But the 3D share was non-existent this time around, I think that should cancel out the inflation.

Edited by KATCH 22

God, I cannot believe how much money Titanic made. We're only talking about the third ever film to cross 1b OS and Titanic did it over 17 years ago.

The first rule of bo talk is to not talk about Titanic bo run.

But the 3D share was non-existence this time around, I think that should cancel out the inflation.

Non-existent? What? Source?

Edited by tree - we're home

You're right, I thought the $# was 26.3 not 27.3. Still, not great, essentially no increase when you factor in inflation.

Inflation in the US has been well below that - has UK inflation been more than twice that of the U.S?  Though really ticket inflation is the only thing that matters in box office.  In the US the avg has gone from 7.96 to  8.30  - about 4.3% How much has the avg ticket risen in the UK in 3 years?  What's the difference in 3D or large format share?  What are the admissions?

Edited by TalismanRing

Corée du Sud :

The Avengers 2 : 28.2 m$ (BIGGEST ALL TIME FOREIGN MOVIE)

The Avengers : 13.1m$

Furious 7 : 8.8m$

United Kingdom :

The Avengers 2 : 27.3 m$

The Avengers : 25.26m$

Furious 7 : 19.055m$

Russia :

The Avengers 2 : 16.2 m$

The Avengers : 17.2m$

Furious 7 : 16.1m$

France :

The Avengers 2 : 12.4 m$

The Avengers : 19.0m$

Furious 7 : 11.088m$

Brazil :

The Avengers : 10.8m$

Furious 7 : 11.9m$

Australia :

The Avengers 2 : 13.1 m$

The Avengers : 13.9m$

Furious 7 : 11.2m$

Inflation in the US has been well below that - has UK inflation been more than twice that of the U.S?  Though really ticket inflation is the only thing that matters in box office.  In the US the avg has gone from 7.96 to  8.30  - about 4.3% How much has the avg ticket risen in the UK in 3 years?  What's the difference in 3D or large format share?  What are the admissions?

Average ticket prices increased 9.9% from 2012 to 2015. That puts Avengers Assemble OW at £17.4M, £0.6M below Age of Ultron's. Once actual data comes in, it could increase, or it could decrease to almost match it.

I don't know 3D shares, but bear in mind that there are also marathon tickets this time around, compared to first movie.

Average ticket prices increased 9.9% from 2012 to 2015. That puts Avengers Assemble OW at £17.4M, £0.6M below Age of Ultron's. Once actual data comes in, it could increase, or it could decrease to almost match it.

I don't know 3D shares, but bear in mind that there are also marathon tickets this time around, compared to first movie.

Why are you considering this a disappointment? Avengers 1 opened in 70% of its markets compared to 2 opening only on 55% and there's bad exchange rates as of right now which is going to deflate the numbers from showing the real admissions in the European countries.

This is a great number.

• Like 1

Why are you considering this a disappointment? Avengers 1 opened in 70% of its markets compared to 2 opening only on 55% and there's bad exchange rates as of right now which is going to deflate the numbers from showing the real admissions in the European countries.

This is a great number.

Because to the best of my knowledge, the Marvel brand seems to have grown a lot in strength and popularity here in the UK. When results for OW come in and show that it hasn't increased from the first one, it means the seemingly grown popularity hasn't translated into extra box office receipts.

Obviously it's an amazing figure in and of itself, but I expected it to grow.

Only a few movies can really transcend time, Titanic will be near the top of the All-Time lists forever.  I think adjusted for inflation, Titanic might be over 3B WW, completely insane, considering it only got 2600 theaters and the Oversees markets were smaller or even nonexistent.

It was just everywhere, even Afghanistan. Of course, it was mostly smuggled on bootleg copies, so it didn't so much help the box office, but it was a total craze, even under the Taliban, who banned the Jack Dawson haircut and arrested barbers who gave it. I just have to laugh whenever someone thinks that a movie making a lot of money alone makes it a cultural phenomenon. Sure, some phenomenons can be bigger than others but there's a lot more to it than that. 

Didn't realize that Furious 7 was sure to make more in China than the US but it makes sense. It's a whole new world with the global market. I hope everyone expecting franchise fatigue to set in, so the studios can go back to the "good old days" of original movies (there are always great films but a lot of formulaic ones, with the formula changing every few years) isn't holding their breath.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

7.7 M from the Philippines for AOU. IRON MAN III opened with 7.4 M.

Ultron smashed box office records in Asia where it had the biggest opening weekend of all-time in Russia, Hong Kong ($6.4 million), and the Philippines ($7.7 million), and the second biggest opening weekend in South Korea, India ($7.7 million), Singapore ($3.6 million), and Vietnam. The sequel performed strongly in Europe as well, taking the highest opening weekend ever for a superhero movie in the UK/Ireland, Germany ($9.3 million), Sweden, Norway, and the Netherlandshttp://pro.boxoffice.com/news/2015-04-26-global-report-avengers-age-of-ultron-off-to-hot-start-furious-7-crosses-1-billion-overseas-becomes-1-movie-of-all-time-in-china

Corée du Sud :

The Avengers 2 : 28.2 m$ (BIGGEST ALL TIME FOREIGN MOVIE)

The Avengers : 13.1m$

Furious 7 : 8.8m$

United Kingdom :

The Avengers 2 : 27.3 m$

The Avengers : 25.26m$

Furious 7 : 19.055m$

Russia :

The Avengers : 17.2m$

Furious 7 : 16.1m$

France :

The Avengers 2 : 12.4 m$

The Avengers : 19.0m$

Furious 7 : 11.088m$

Brazil :

The Avengers : 10.8m$

Furious 7 : 11.9m$

Australia :

The Avengers 2 : 13.1 m$

The Avengers : 13.9m$

Furious 7 : 11.2m$

Are all three numbers OW?

Also:

Ultron also set new records on overseas IMAX screens, scoring $10.4 million on 175 IMAX screens to become the best-ever opening beating Interstellar’s $7.188 million. Highlights include Hong Kong which swept up $420K on 4 screens ($106K /screen), South Korea which took in $1.6 million on 15 screens ($106K /screen) and the Philippines which grossed $650k on 8 screens ($81K /screen).

Lol Didn't know we already have 8 IMAX screens here. Some countries in Europe don't even have one.  :P  :D

Because to the best of my knowledge, the Marvel brand seems to have grown a lot in strength and popularity here in the UK. When results for OW come in and show that it hasn't increased from the first one, it means the seemingly grown popularity hasn't translated into extra box office receipts.

Obviously it's an amazing figure in and of itself, but I expected it to grow.

Superhero movies aren't as big here as they are in the US, dont get me wrong they're big, but they dont end up near the top of the all time charts like they do in the States. The fact that this has become the biggest ticket earner on OW for any superhero movie is impressive no matter how small the increase is.

• Like 1