Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Huh. high 50s means it's barely up from the True Friday. Which probably means it needs a sub-20% drop on Sunday in order to hit 190. I kinda doubt that's happening.

OTOH, it would need to be hammered tomorrow in order to not hit 180. So it should be fairly comfortably ahead of IM3.

That is good.

The first Avengers had the novelty of the mighty superheroes gathering up in a movie for the very first time, something that this sequel doesn't have. That was the biggest hook it had. This is getting tons of hype due to the fact that the first Avengers left a very great taste and word of mouth, and audience wants to see that again.

The Avengers was a feel-good movie, that massive blockbuster that you'll just laugh out loud, get hooked by the action and be immersed in the effects. Age of Ultron has a more serious vibe, with things looking at a higher stake, with tidbits of those comedy sprinkled throughout the movie. I doubt Age of Ultron will get a huge WOM and longevity like the original Avengers.

195M/520M

Biggest obstacle to BvS, not high family appeal.

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, three of the most iconic characters (not superhero characters, characters period) ever created in the history of literature, also happen to be family/kids' faves. Heck, I always push female superheroes in the lesson plans of the school I work at, and every kids (boys and girls alike) recognizes Wonder Woman, which to be honest, surprised even myself.  The chance to see these characters together on film for the first time is going to be a huge hook for families.

If WB plays its cards right, they will have a huge family-friendly monster in BvS.

Edited by cochofles

67m would have been in play if AOU  played out like TA and a dozen other titles, 63 at the time was if it overindexed, and it certainly did. Just with TA matinees it was over but as evening went on it was under and the gap kept getting bigger as the night draw on.

With Gitesh I mentioned (yes I've known him since BOG been around) to him that it was potentially looking now at around 30% diff, the last update he had heard a couple/few hours before was 20% maybe more

NYC a bit LA massive

Yeah the Palladium SanA that was one of the highest grossing for fri looks like take over 60% drop today, a big number in general but still, SF taken big hit but LA is still looking 10% more of a drop than SF, bloody sport LOL

I'm just quoting/posting these just for my personal reference.  I don't want to go through 50+ pages that I missed since last night.  

Though obviously it's not entirely to blame (lack of novelty factor, etc. likely played more), that lame fight did a number.

Edited by pensivepenguin

Its amazing how many people are pulling the old "it was unrealistic to expect AOU to match/beat Avengers opening weekend", i barely saw a handful of people say that on here before we got any numbers.

Just accept that the film hasn't met expectations and move on.

• Like 5

Imo Overwhelming % of people are only interested in BVS for Batman from people I talked with. 

Odd that Affleck was seen as a risk, when he will likely become the main draw now.

Edited by Lordmandeep

In the future there will be two paths to defeating TA on opening weekend.

1. Massive opening day leading to huge weekend gross like Dh2.

2. Huge opening day and great holds over the weekend like TA.

Its amazing how many people are pulling the old "it was unrealistic to expect AOU to match/beat Avengers opening weekend", i barely saw a handful of people say that on here before we got any numbers.

Just accept that the film hasn't met expectations and move on.

I bet this would've beaten Avengers had this had the same glowing reviews, and to a lesser extent that boxing didn't take place this weekend. The early reviews are kinda hurting it I must say.

SW7 won't break the record in December. The weekend before Christmas is a huge shopping weekend, the competition is much stronger and the demographics of the movie skews a lot older than the CBM movies.

I wasn't talking about TA2 in the second part of my post.

Uhh... the record is $84.3 million (Hobbit 1)

Unless Star Wars Episode VII is one of the biggest BO disappointments of all time, it's not doing any less than $120 million for its OW unless it does a Wednesday opening

I bet this would've beaten Avengers had this had the same glowing reviews, and to a lesser extent that boxing didn't take place this weekend. The early reviews are kinda hurting it I must say.

I don't think too many people are saying "Wow, AoU has a 75% on RT! NO way am I going to see it!". ;)

• Like 2

Well reviews don't usually effect opening weekends, especially with a fanboy driven film. I'm sure they didn't help though.

I don't know, maybe 200-210mil OW is kind of the 'realistic' limit at this current time for an opening weekend. I mean obviously every showing was not sold out (far from it) but thats always going to be the case for every film.

Will Avengers doing $480-520 million instead of $560-620 million help out Mad Max, Tomorrowland and San Andreas?

Maybe a bit but don t forget Pitch Perfect 2 for teengirls.