Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Amazing TA record will stand another 2 years it seems. 

It probably deserves to if we're being honest about it. TA1 crowd was electric. TA2 crowd seemed to enjoy it but there wasn't the big cheers and laughter like in the third act of TA1. It was the ultimate crowd-pleaser.

• Like 1

Well you already said this was gonna be the case a while ago with the fight and all.

Well, tonight there is the following:

Buc Days parade(which is a HUGE deal here)

Spurs at 7pm

Fight

That's a perfect storm of fuckery I don't think we can compete with. I was hoping they just meant that everyone would come in the morning and afternoon instead. I'm not seeing that yet.

Edited by Boner Omega
  • Like 1

Normally I'd say that earlier and earlier Thursday previews deflate Friday evening gross and thus we end up seeing huge Saturday jumps, but given the sporting events tonight, I don't even know how well that will hold up.  Maybe it jumps up to 65-67M today and just barely hits 200M, but I'd venture on the lower end right now.  

Did we get a 3D share for Friday yet?  

Can't that spillover to Sunday?

China and South Korea will save Marvel's dignity.

Mexico.

• Like 1

DH2 as well.

Sunday and Saturday record as well.

Nothing is beating TA Sat and Sunday gross.

Inflation will.

Sooner or later.

Well, tonight there is the following:

Buc Days parade(which is a HUGE deal here)

Spurs at 7pm

Fight

That's a perfect storm of fuckery I don't think we can compete with. I was hoping they just meant that everyone would come in the morning and afternoon instead. I'm not seeing that yet.

The Spurs game tonight might explain why the San Antonio Pallaudium was running 40% ahead of big NYC theaters last night. All the Spurs and Avengers fans in San Antonio figured they better watch the thing last night because they've got a playoff game to focus on today.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

DH2 as well.

Sunday and Saturday record as well.

Nothing is beating TA Sat and Sunday gross.

no it wont. batman and superman is lurking lord and that is much bigger than avengers

This is so much fun, this is the first time I've really followed BO like this but I go to sleep, people are saying LOCKED to do 210+ now when I wake up it has a chance of missing 200 tonight it will probably be back to being locked for 200+ this is great.

to think that in the end the most accurate source was my icon

not gonna happen if every other source is saying sub-90 including one like five minutes ago

i've been around for more than a year and rth has always been very close to other sources, this is the first time it's different

explain to me why rth thinks west coast will be so much bigger than the other sources think

so every source says 85-89 until disney announces they're confident about 200 and record going down, and suddenly "new industry estimates" appear saying 94-97m od. if they were gonna do this they should have at least gone big and said 100m

tumblr_inline_ngcipc1Xqa1qdld5l.gif

so you're all just gonna ignore that new 85-90 number

I'm up now and quite shocked that Rth would tell us this yesterday, only to come in a lot lower than it should've.. So many people put a lot of faith in Rth who probably doesn't know the numbers any better than anyone else.. Either way, congrats to DH2 for holding onto the the OD record..

Is that it?, no meltdown?

r-kelly-usher-shocked-music-video-reacti

Edited by stuart360

The Spurs game tonight might explain why the San Antonio Pallaudium was running 40% ahead of big NYC theaters last night. All the Spurs and Avengers fans in San Antonio figured they better watch the thing last night because they've got a playoff game to focus on today.

That's a very good point.

I'm just insane curious to see what happens tonight.

Also one more thing and then I'm done...can we stop trying to predicting things on how good, but mostly how stupid they look? This attitude we have recently has not completed translated to the GA. See Ride Along, Home, Spongebob, Maleficent, TMNT, We're the Millers, etc, etc, etc.

I said over $40M OW for Spongebob, while I did have an ounce of fanboyism, I still looked up numbers and saw how popular the show still was, and knew the CG element would be seen as fresh. Many here low-balled Spongebob "because it looks stupid and is for kids." Then when things break out the same people want to look in hindsight and go "yeah this isn't a shock, I don't watch the show anymore, but hes obviously still popular." Same with home, we have an anti-DWA agenda here. "All of DWA's movies keep bombing, and Home looks so stupid, the aliens look ugly, this will bomb." Then Home breaks out and nobody wants to eat crow.

You base predicts off of yes a little personal bias, hope, and gut feeling, but also on real world numbers, info, advertising, metrics, etc. You don't have to watch Spongebob or Nickelodeon to know how popular it still is, you just go to Neilson or Wiki or Facebook. But that goes for all movies. We can still have some personal bias, but lets try to do better than "that trailer looked stupid, this will bomb." That's one thing that annoys me the most here. K thanks bye.

• Like 1

I'm up now and quite shocked that Rth would tell us this yesterday, only to come in a lot lower than it should've.. So many people put a lot of faith in Rth who probably doesn't know the numbers any better than anyone else.. Either way, congrats to DH2 for holding onto the the OD record..

It's not about knowing the numbers. It's about extrapolating from real-time data. Let's say it's afternoon on the west coast. The movie has probably done less than half of its daily business so far. So, you look at the matinee and early afternoon numbers, and you look at presales and overall showtimes, and you extrapolate using comps of other, similar movies. So in this case, Rth (and the other sources for DHD, Variety, etc) probably used AVENGERS as a comp, given ULTRON was performing along similar lines earlier in the day. The strong presales and expanding showtimes indicated a strong evening turnout... and that ultimately ended up being wrong.

• Like 1