Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

He said 89-93 late last night.  That's 5-9% off from the morning estimate, and that's pretty reasonable as far as I'm concerned.  

that was after i screamed about 85-90 like 100 times. if he had listened to everyone praising him for the 95-100 number he would never have gone back and revised

Also one more thing and then I'm done...can we stop trying to predicting things on how good, but mostly how stupid they look? This attitude we have recently has not completed translated to the GA. See Ride Along, Home, Spongebob, Maleficent, TMNT, We're the Millers, etc, etc, etc.

I said over $40M OW for Spongebob, while I did have an ounce of fanboyism, I still looked up numbers and saw how popular the show still was, and knew the CG element would be seen as fresh. Many here low-balled Spongebob "because it looks stupid and is for kids." Then when things break out the same people want to look in hindsight and go "yeah this isn't a shock, I don't watch the show anymore, but hes obviously still popular." Same with home, we have an anti-DWA agenda here. "All of DWA's movies keep bombing, and Home looks so stupid, the aliens look ugly, this will bomb." Then Home breaks out and nobody wants to eat crow.

You base predicts off of yes a little personal bias, hope, and gut feeling, but also on real world numbers, info, advertising, metrics, etc. You don't have to watch Spongebob or Nickelodeon to know how popular it still is, you just go to Neilson or Wiki or Facebook. But that goes for all movies. We can still have some personal bias, but lets try to do better than "that trailer looked stupid, this will bomb." That's one thing that annoys me the most here. K thanks bye.

I think Pixels will be another example of this. A few critics will still hate it and give it lower ratings because of Sandler, but I think Pixels will surprise us in late summer. A lot of people on this forum have written it off completely because "It looks stupid and Adam Sandler/Kevin James".

• Like 2

"Better than anyone else"? Yes, man, he does. Trust me on this.

You're welcome to think whatever you want, but if you put Rth's projections up against anyone (here on the forums or actual sources reported by any of the trades), he'll be at the top.

true and agreed. rem bkb no one is perfect but rth is pretty close most of the time. all of us have been off alot more than 15-20 m. So rth deserves a pass for the occasional miss gang. tele is right
  • Like 1

You're welcome to think whatever you want, but if you put Rth's projections up against anyone (here on the forums or actual sources reported by any of the trades), he'll be at the top.

I like Rth's contributions but let's be honest, other sources like Variety usually report numbers earlier, naturally they will be off more than Rth. Or they don't update it as frequently, which makes it appear Rth is more accurate. Deadline had the latest numbers this time around and they were the most accurate. That's all there is to it.

It's actually very simple. There's a program called GifCam, so you download it, open the program, and it'll have a window which you can layer on top of another video. So I go to Youtube, find a good clip, play the video, then hit record on Gifcam with the window layered on top of the video. Once you get the clip you want, you go to edit, resize the gif and then delete the frames that you don't want (GifCam makes this simple with options like 'Delete from this Frame to Start/End). Then save, upload to Imgur, and voila! Once you tinker around with it more you get better at it. There are also ways to add text but that takes a bit of practice

I freaking love gifcam, even no one ever likes my gifs...

Except for that one I posted in the Furious 7 thread where Tele was Jason Statham

I think presales are becoming a bigger component of weekends than 3 years ago. Fifty Shades, Cinderella, Insurgent and now Avengers have all had bigger estimates at the start and reduced as the day went on thanks to presales I guess.

Which number is being used for the BSG????  :P

Definitely, and IMO the rising prominence of reserved seating is driving the increase in presales.  Folks who just walked up before now have to reserve before hand not only for ideal seats but just so that groups can sit together.  This inflate presales (relative to before at least) and paints an inaccurate picture if you're comparing presales to older films in order to extrapolate grosses.

I was actually surprised last night when people bought tickets for Mall Cop 2. I was honestly expecting a few no shows for non avengers movies, but mall cop had around 40 people for the 7:00 show (which is 40 more than I expected).

TBF, if Avengers sold out and I had young kids, it's either that or Home I'd guess.

You're bound to be doing better than Friday matinees though, right?

It is, but not by the amount I think we should be to possibly counteract the drop off tonight.

Yesterday we finished with 3,413 tickets sold which accounted for 85% of our attendance!

Today so far, it's even worse! 1,408 out of 1532 are for Avengers which is 92%!

Why are people predicting sub 500 total now? IM3s multi from OD gets AOU 511. I don't see any reason this has worse legs.

not great reception and this one has tomm land , san andreas and jp to deal with i beleive. tomm land could be huge. Its still dis tho so they wont care lol. i feel jpworld may return us dino fans back to glory. lots of claps from my audience

It is, but not by the amount I think we should be to possibly counteract the drop off tonight.

Yesterday we finished with 3,413 tickets sold which accounted for 85% of our attendance!

Today so far, it's even worse! 1,408 out of 1532 are for Avengers which is 92%!

Does the 3,413 include Thursday previews?

It's pretty hilarious honestly, franchise fatigue domestically is already starting to set in. But sure guys Marvel & these amazing characters will be making this much FOREVER according to guys like Walt Disney

Tbf, Avengers 2 might have fatigue because the only new characters being introduced into the team are introduced in the movie itself

Whereas Avengers 3 has the opportunity to have Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Man. And that's not even counting if the Guardians show up.

TBH, Disney would be smart to put the Guardians in Avengers 3; that might be able to hold off on the huge huge drop that would happen otherwise since it's a Part 1.

Well, you're right about one of them, but the real queens are

rose.gif

and

tumblr_n6wtjnkMj01qzzuj8o1_500.gif

They wish.

But I'm not averse to some Blunt magic.

After Dame, the next in line is "Kate the great" Winslet.