Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Sounds like the fight did have quite an impact

Yeah i was on the fence about the fight having an impact (though leaning on it having somewhat of an impact) on AoU back when the fight was announced. But someone pointed out that Dela Hoya v Mayweather barely impacted SM3, and the reasoning made sense.

It probably really hit me that AoU's Sat late afternoon / evening is in trouble when the owner of the gym I go to came up to me as i was leaving the gym just a bit after noon today and asks me where i'm watching the fight because he couldn't find a place to watch it because every possible bar / sports restaurant -type place he's called are all sold out, and has been 4 days prior.

I think the 63-67 was at 6:30pm Pacific which was literally as the Spurs-Clippers game was in Q2 and the fight was yet to begin. Based on that estimation, we can somewhat glean the hit the movie took.

Yawn his predictions were just as good (bad) as anyone else's on the most important BO weekend since TA1, seems the Rth lovers should be quiet. Guy provides a nice guide usually but far from perfect.

I missed that post. Now I have to go back.

Sorry, E. It was rude of me not to have a quote or link.

for right now LA is taking the biggest hit

between the 2 biggest markets  NY/LA theres more than 20% difference in the drop from fri

Having said all of this about the Derby, NBA, and boxing...the movie still should have beaten TA1's opening. It had 7 PM Thursday previews, which is very helpful when you have a huge kid/family audience supporting you. It had a much bigger screen and show count than TA1. And it had TA1's phenomenal word of mouth creating automatic good will for the sequel. Regardless of anything else going on, it should have been able to hit $210-215m this weekend. Still $190m is a great number in the grand scheme of things and now it will be very interesting to see how the legs play out. 

• Like 1

BACK FROM WATCHING IT

FIRST let me praise my queen scarlet witch. i wish she had gotten a bigger role but she was great. absolutely stole the show

honestly she should have been the one to save the day in the end. it should have been her taking all the rage and sadness from her brother's death and channeling it into holding up the whole city with her powers stopping it from crashing. i think it could have been epic and an amazing end to her character arc and the overall storyline, but of course they had to give tony and thor something to do, i get it. i really think if it had been her though it would have been a better ending and probably like 85% on rotten tomatoes instead of 75. it's funny how the main characters themselves get in the way of the story so much.

also you all hyped up Dr. Helen Cho too much. she did some stuff but nothing that cool.

anyway as for the rest.

i liked it. like the first one it was fun but had the same issues-- they just went from one meaningless setpiece to another. i mean they tried with the quieter character moments brutasha was ok, and ooomg the

scarlet witch-induced visions

were some really cool character moments i liked that, but overall cap2 was a muchhh stronger movie so it's good if they're going in that direction from now on. honestly just thinking about cap2 *dreamy sigh* so good..

it reeeally did feel like a commercial for infinity war though. it was just all over the place sometimes in a good way sometimes in a bad way. also ultron was so underwhelming. like this whole movie was so random, they tried to do soo many things and none of them got the attention they needed. it should have been closer to 3 hours. i do think avengers 1 was much more cohesive and straightforward. neither of them are complex or risky but this one was muddled and like rt says "overstuffed."

ALSO FYI after we left we looked into like this big sports bar and there were like, hockey games and soccer and every sport on the face of the earth on the tv screens EXCEPT THE DAMN FIGHT SOOOOOOOO...

Having said all of this about the Derby, NBA, and boxing...the movie still should have beaten TA1's opening. It had 7 PM Thursday previews, which is very helpful when you have a huge kid/family audience supporting you. It had a much bigger screen and show count than TA1. And it had TA1's phenomenal word of mouth creating automatic good will for the sequel. Regardless of anything else going on, it should have been able to hit $210-215m this weekend. Still $190m is a great number in the grand scheme of things and now it will be very interesting to see how the legs play out. 

I was slightly disappointed it didn't get the OD record to be honest. Everything seemed to be in its favor for that, no competition, the holdovers are pathetically weak, a super wide release with a large number of showtimes, goodwill from the first and #FiveExtraHours. The 85M yesterday was slightly shocking considering the West Coast was supposed to push it over the OD record mark.

Edited by grim22

Ah thanks Tele. I read that differently. LOL I thought he meant that There was a 20% difference between the two markets' drop.

I think he meant that there was a 20% difference in the drop comparing LA to NY.  Not that they both fell 20%.

I think he meant that there was a 20% difference in the drop comparing LA to NY.  Not that they both fell 20%.

Him, I read it as both of them combined were off about 30%. Regardless, it's not worth having in the main title if there's this much confusion. I'll remove it.

:lol:

NYC a bit LA massive

Ah ok. Thanks that's what I thought. Tele got a little too eager with the thread title.

Him, I read it as both of them combined were off about 30%. Regardless, it's not worth having in the main title if there's this much confusion. I'll remove it.

:lol:

• Like 1

What this means for Avengers: Age of Ultron is a lower than expected Saturday of $59M per industry estimates, a 30% decline from yesterday’s $84.46M. The first Avengers saw a Saturday dip of 14% back on May 5, 2012. Ultron‘s Sunday, per industry calculations, is looking at $47M, down 20% from Saturday (Avengers’ first Sunday took in $57.1M, down 18% from Saturday). Ultron is now tracking for a three-day opening in the neighborhood of $189M-$191M

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

I think the 63-67 was at 6:30pm Pacific which was literally as the Spurs-Clippers game was in Q2 and the fight was yet to begin. Based on that estimation, we can somewhat glean the hit the movie took

In a nutshell based on quick look i did around 330-4p Pacific

• Like 2