Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

This has been a most educational weekend for the box office nuts.  What you tell us gives me much better insight into what I'm seeing from the outside. This weekend in particular has shown me how different things can affect different markets more than others and the combination of several events can be lethal.

Oh yeah you should see how it all looks when you start slicing and dicing you can break thing right down

• Like 4

This has been a most educational weekend for the box office nuts.  What you tell us gives me much better insight into what I'm seeing from the outside. This weekend in particular has shown me how different things can affect different markets more than others and the combination of several events can be lethal.

And that we shouldn't have taken any records for granted.
  • Like 2

Were people seriously expecting 230m+ or something?  Jesus.

Well, yes. It had the bigger screen count, expanded IMAX count, expanded premium large format count, and 7 PM Thursday shows to help take care of demand. After $27.6m in preview money, something like 220-230 could have happened. Obviously it didn't but it was on the table at that point.

Oh yeah you should see how it all looks when you start slicing and dicing you can break thing right down

Sounds daunting to be honest. My hats off to you.

How do I say this.

Since TA this was the weekend hyped up to break the record.

To those who say it would not, good call.

Lesson from this is 207.4 million was not a result from inflation but was actually an all tie opener. 

Perhaps with Im3 174 million, TA2 had a clear path.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Despite the fact that I have honored my loss, a little part of me died inside changing my username to this..  :ohmygod:  I will however, bounce back from this for INFINITY WAR, Even if it is 3 Years away...

That is kinda funny.  Good sport BKB!

It still bothers me that this movie had 7pm Thursday showings. IMO this film made $160m OW....Thursday should not be included. None of the other films this weekend attached their Thursday gross to this weekend. Silly studios trying to fool people into thinking their films opened bigger than they actually did. I miss the days when films were released at 12:00AM Friday.

If you really want accuracy, you would have to factor in that people who didn't see it at 7pm would have flocked to the midnight showings or gone Friday/Sat/Sun.    So it would be more than 160m.

I don't see how it would increase with actuals, the Sunday drop is pretty generous as it is.

Uh oh...."expectations"!   ;)    You are risking having to label it impressive©if it exceeds your "expectations".

Do people really care about the NFL Draft by the time Saturday comes around? Most of the attention is on Thursday when the early rounds are done.

Seabiscuit is a really good movie imo.

Agreed about the sports.  It's not so much any individual one, but the perfect storm of sports crammed into one day.   The NFL draft is by far the only sports draft that people pay any significant attention to.   And the "Subway Series" in NYC is a pretty big deal to them I hear.

I'm not disappointed by that number. Baffled, yes, disappointed? No. But I still think people are allowed to be. If we werent hyped up by trades and Disney on Friday then meltdowns and disappointment wouldn't have been so severe. 

Like I said, you cant tell someone "don't be sad your team lost the Superbowl, you made it over 30 other teams", you're team still lost no matter how many teams you beat out to get there. Avengers beat out every movie in existence except 1 to get to that spot (unadjusted of course), but it still lost out on even the average lower range predictions -- which were reasonable.

In this case the team (AoU) is being blamed for the loss (bad prediction) when the true blame resides with those making the prediction.

For instance, I totally discounted the effect of that boxing match because I had never heard of the two boxers.  My bad....not AoU.   I'm "disappointing"...not AoU.

So anyone labeling AoU disappointing are really trying to deflect blame from themselves.   They are still convinced they knew exactly what "should have happened" but the movie screwed it all up.   Hindsight might just show us how big an achievement the 207m OW was for TA.   Expecting other movies to match that crazy achievement is really our fault.   I was buying into it myself until a week or so ago.

Lesson from this is 207.4 million was not a result from inflation but was actually an all tie opener. 

This isn't an "either/or" situation. It was both an all-time mega opener in admissions AND it definitely benefited from the prices of its time (not to mention screen count) compared to other big openers in the past like Spider-Man or the old Star Wars movies.

:)

Well I'm good on that because I didn't. :lol:

I didn't think it's going to brake TA record either but it wasn't a good call as mush as it was a wishful thinking sine I wasn't a fan of Marvel fanboys. I was surprised how upset I was when I got what I wish for. Now the saddest part is a movie that finally break the record could be a worse movie than AOU. Edited by KATCH 22

Just got back from the mountains.

Anything interesting happen boxoffice wise this weekend?

Not much.

We've all decided that Harry Potter was a mediocre franchise, though.

• Like 3

So The Dark Knight trilogy will remain the highest grossing trilogy domestically since TA3 is split in 2.

Yeah.

There are worse discussions than Potter. Trust me.