#ED

Avengers Weekend Actuals: 191.27M (Only -11% on Sunday)

So... Spielberg and Lucas really know how to follow a mega hit at the box office, eh :ph34r:

Neither of those losers are Christopher Nolan that's for sure.

In my best nolanite voice

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 5

Phantom Menace $431M/474M

Attack of the Clones $$302M/$310M

Shrek 2 $441M

Shrek The Third $323M

I think yours is most valid because the SW example includes a re-release. There's also a huge drop from A New Hope($307M/$461M) to Empire Strikes Back($209M/$290M). Yikes, I mean, given inflation since the late 70s/early 80s, think about the drop in the original run from A New Hope to Empire Strikes Back. WOW!

I mean, Star Wars pretty much set the precedent a long, long time ago for big drops for sequels. So... Avengers is following in some good footsteps.

That's going to be a tough one to top.

• Like 6

It clearly affected the Saturday gross..

I'm not saying it didn't BKB, but if there had been no fight, Saturday would of been better than it was but Sunday wouldn't of held as well as it did.

You can't just say it would of grossed more without the fight, the gross has just been spread around because of the fight hense why we have a bigger Sunday than expected.

• Like 1

Here's my OW attendance list.  I've taken into account every factor that was posted as best as I can (IMAX/3D/Other/etc.).  Unfortunately, no one's ever provided a children audience share, so I cannot account for youth tickets, though in some of the weekend breakdowns, we're told the fraction of the audience that is over/under 25.  Notably, 2 of the top 3 openers have a over/under 25 split of 50%, TDK and TA, but SM3 had a split of 63% under the age of 25, so I think it's fair to say that in actuality, it holds the true crown for OW attendance, likely a little over 23M.  In the same manner, you can do a mental adjustment for any film that might lean younger (such as Potter or Shrek, or TDK vs. TA).

TDK - 22.4M

SM3 - 22.1M

TA - 21.8M

DMC - 20.7M

NM - 19.9M

SM1 - 19.7M

TDKR - 19.4M

DH2 - 19.0M

CF - 18.9M

THG - 18.9M

AOU - 18.2M

BD1 - 18.2M

IM3 - 18.1M

BD2 - 18.0M

Shrek 3 - 18.0M

Shrek 2 - 17.5M (20.9M 5-day)

ROTS - 17.0M (24.9M 4-day)

AWE - 17.0M (22.6M 5-day)

I will update this once actuals for Ultron are reported.

So with 191.3M, assuming the 3D/IMAX splits stayed the same, AOU sold ~18.6M tickets this weekend.  Notably, while TA was 50/50 over/under the age of 25, this was 59 over (though Sunday may have tipped that lower a little bit).  

TDK - 22.4M

SM3 - 22.1M

TA - 21.8M

DMC - 20.7M

NM - 19.9M

SM1 - 19.7M

TDKR - 19.4M

DH2 - 19.0M

CF - 18.9M

THG - 18.9M

AOU - 18.6M

BD1 - 18.2M

IM3 - 18.1M

BD2 - 18.0M

Shrek 3 - 18.0M

Shrek 2 - 17.5M (20.9M 5-day)

ROTS - 17.0M (24.9M 4-day)

AWE - 17.0M (22.6M 5-day)

Edited by Spizzer - Manav

Yeah, this could be the largest Sunday share of Fri-Sun for a >150M opener.

TDK - 31.2%

TDKR - 30.9%

TA - 30.3%

DH2 - 28.4%

SM3 - 28.3%

IM3 - 27.1%

THG - 26.3%

CF - 26.0%

AOU with 187.7/46M Sunday is at 28.7%.  If it jumps to a 53M Sunday and 194.7M weekend, it's Sunday share of Fri-Sun gross (weekend minus previews), would be 31.7%.

AOU ended up at 30.7%.

Guys, the tiny drop on Sunday is a correction from the massive falls on Saturday.

It would not have done $210m if it were not for the fight, that's absurd.

Anyway...AoU needs a 2.61 multiplier to hit $500m. We'll see how it plays out but AoU is lucky with its ridiculous lack of competition that most blockbusters can only dream of. So let's not be sorry for AoU, please.

• Like 4

There's also a huge drop from A New Hope($307M/$461M) to Empire Strikes Back($209M/$290M). Yikes, I mean, given inflation since the late 70s/early 80s, think about the drop in the original run from A New Hope to Empire Strikes Back. The drop in tickets sold is nuts! WOW!

I think Stuart talked about this yesterday. Star Wars grossed 233M (or around that) in its original run, it was re-released before it left theaters twice. This was before Empire even released. So ESB made 209 from a 233M starting base and not 307M.

• Like 1

I think Stuart talked about this yesterday. Star Wars grossed 233M (or around that) in its original run, it was re-released before it left theaters twice. This was before Empire even released. So ESB made 209 from a 233M starting base and not 307M.

Yeah Star Wars grossed 220mil on its initial release, it then had 4 re-releases to get it to over 300mil. Empire grossed 209mil which was 11 mil behind Star Wars INITIAL release.

I have posted similar about 3 times now so i'll just post the Wiki page instead -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_%28film%29#Box_office

It replaced Jaws as the highest-earning film in North America just six months into release,[115]eventually earning over $220 million during its initial theatrical run ($856 million in 2014 dollars).[116]Star Wars entered international release towards the end of the year, and in 1978 added the worldwide record to its domestic one,[117] earning $410 million in total.[118]Reissues in 1978, 1979, 1981, and 1982 brought its cumulative gross in Canada and the U.S. to $323 million,

If you want more proof, Google 'Star Wars initial 1977 box office'

or check the box office thread on the Jedi forums of Force.net where they even have scanned newspapers showing what it grossed on its first run (they used to do anyway, i haven't been on for a while).

• Like 1

‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ Poll: Over 50% Skipped Movie for Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight

Interesting.

But why didn't they ask:

1) Did you see it sunday?

2) Are you seeing it in the future?

3) Did you blow all your money fight and decided not to see it at all?

• Like 3

Interesting.

But why didn't they ask:

1) Did you see it sunday?

2) Are you seeing it in the future?

3) Did you blow all your money fight and decided not to see it at all?

15% did say they couldn't afford the movie after spending too much on the fight. But I do wish they asked how many of them who skipped the movie Saturday due to the fight ended up seeing it Sunday and also how many of them will make special effort to see the movie in theaters later in the run. Would sure be nice to know those two things.

‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ Poll: Over 50% Skipped Movie for Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight

Man it must of took them a long time to ask all those millions of people.

The good Sunday hold shows that many of them went Sunday instead. Such a silly poll, the fight doesn't explain why Fridays number was lower than the first films Friday minus previews.

Its the kind of article a fanboy would write.