34 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Armageddon

The problem with Armageddon-like movies is that the concept of mankind fighting an approaching asteriod or comet is so intriguing that it can't be passed in films. At the same time with present or near future technology we don't stand a chance and can only hope that luck favors us at least for some centuries to come.

To me this is not a problem. Some movies are just there to entertain.
  • Like 1

A great film, with a great story and great acting. Bruce Willis is awesome! And this film is the best film to bring up to make Bay haters shut up. Also, the ending is very emotional.

How? Armageddon is neither Bay's most financially successful movie, or his best reviewed or most rewarded product. You can't say it is just because you think it's awesome.

Edited by vc2002

How? Armageddon is neither Bay's most financially successful movie, or his best reviewed or most rewarded product. You can't say it is just because you think it's awesome.

I'd argue its his most memorable and most popular. People love it.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

Armageddon is the type of movie which can have a great scene immediately followed by a mind-crushingly dumb bad one. Or sometimes during the same scene.

Example #1- The opening with NYC getting pummeled, you got the cab driver and Asian tourist gag which is Revenge of the Fallen level bad.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Armageddon is the type of movie which can have a great scene immediately followed by a mind-crushingly dumb bad one. Or sometimes during the same scene.

Example #1- The opening with NYC getting pummeled, you got the cab driver and Asian tourist gag which is Revenge of the Fallen level bad.

I agree with that one, but can you name another?

Come on, a film that invents a term like "space dementia" can't be taken seriously, ever. So embrace the madness and revel in it.

Haha, forgot about that. At the time I must have though 'well that must be a real thing, because they wouldn't make something like that up.'

Edited by Hatebox

I agree with that one, but can you name another?

The scene with Chick and his family (trying to say goodbye) is gold, then comes Affleck and Grace's scene is all right but borders on super saccharine, followed by the stupid strip club bit (not bad in theory, but executed poorly).

Edited by 4815162342

to be fair the cab driver stuff happened before the actual destruction took place

The scene with Chick and his family (trying to say goodbye) is gold, then comes Affleck and Grace's scene is all right but borders on super saccharine, followed by the stupid strip club bit (not bad in theory, but executed poorly).

I disagree with all of these.  Chick saying good-bye to his family is really well done imo and it sets up the payoff, perhaps the best part of the movie, "That's not a salesman, that's your dad."  

I disagree with all of these.  Chick saying good-bye to his family is really well done imo and it sets up the payoff, perhaps the best part of the movie, "That's not a salesman, that's your dad."  

You guys are saying the same thing. I think one of the reasons it's one of (if not the) most-loved of Bay's movies is because it's very emotional... moreso than his usually are. It's corny as hell but most of it works -- once they're on the asteroid it stalls out (there's not enough variation on the scenes, it's all spiky dark sound stages and yelling), but the ending is great. Great.

Of course, I think this was one of the last times Bay got some serious big-time writers tag-teaming the script. Yeah, it's kinda piece-meal and script-by-committee, but when you have (in no particular order) J.J. Abrams, Tony Gilroy, Jonathan Hensleigh contributing, and Robert motherfucking Towne polishing up the President's speech, you're gonna get some good stuff.

You guys are saying the same thing. I think one of the reasons it's one of (if not the) most-loved of Bay's movies is because it's very emotional... moreso than his usually are. It's corny as hell but most of it works -- once they're on the asteroid it stalls out (there's not enough variation on the scenes, it's all spiky dark sound stages and yelling), but the ending is great. Great.

Of course, I think this was one of the last times Bay got some serious big-time writers tag-teaming the script. Yeah, it's kinda piece-meal and script-by-committee, but when you have (in no particular order) J.J. Abrams, Tony Gilroy, Jonathan Hensleigh contributing, and Robert motherfucking Towne polishing up the President's speech, you're gonna get some good stuff.

He means gold sarcastically.  Read my previous post that he is responding to.