antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

Certified Fresh:

TOMATOMETER 

89%
Average Rating: 7.8/10
Reviews Counted: 85
Fresh: 76
Rotten: 9

Critics Consensus: Annihilation backs up its sci-fi visual wonders and visceral genre thrills with an impressively ambitious -- and surprisingly strange -- exploration of challenging themes that should leave audiences pondering long after the end credits roll.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Wow, that was....something.

Yeah, I have no idea what I just watched. Might have to see it again. After you watch the film you'll see why Paramount dumped it so early. Makes more sense.

There's some incredible themes going on, but the plot is weird and all over the place. There were several scenes that was almost disorienting to watch. Portman was fantastic as usual. The score was creepy and great. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Wow, that was....something.

Yeah, I have no idea what I just watched. Might have to see it again. After you watch the film you'll see why Paramount dumped it so early. Makes more sense.

There's some incredible themes going on, but the plot is weird and all over the place. There were several scenes that was almost disorienting to watch. Portman was fantastic as usual. The score was creepy and great. 

I wanted Paramount to push it during awards season last year. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Wow ...

I ... have to see it again. ...  After you watch the film you'll see why

There's some incredible themes going on.

Portman was fantastic as usual. The score was creepy and great. 

Movie Commercial'd that for you there, BOZ. :)

(no idea what moved me to do it this time.  Just felt like one of those things that would get chopped up by less scrupulous marketing outfits.)

((Admittedly, I did do it to the point of parody, but that was kinda the joke. :lol:))

Edited by Porthos
  • Astonished 1

Just got home.  hopefully I didn't miss an end credits scene :P

overall, I enjoyed it.  I don't think it's as nuts as some are saying, but that could just be me and I obviously can't go into it much in this thread.  But wouldn't mind going into it in some thread or place

It's very beautiful and I think what it wanted to do, it did well.  However, yes I can see it not being for everyone

I may get into the books since apparently it's a series of them?

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

oh, everyone was good in it and there are definitely scenes that will stick with you.

so yeah there are a couple disturbing things for some people I am sure too :P 

debating on a score for it, hovering in the A-/B+ range at least, for me

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 75Live said:

I may get into the books since apparently it's a series of them?

There's a trilogy. If you enjoyed the movie I'd say it's worth at least reading the first one. It's not a super-long novel and you'll get a sense if you want to read more. 

The movie's only a loose adaptation at best so reading the book will be very different in terms of specifics, though I think the movie captured the mood of the books quite well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

There's a trilogy. If you enjoyed the movie I'd say it's worth at least reading the first one. It's not a super-long novel and you'll get a sense if you want to read more. 

The movie's only a loose adaptation at best so reading the book will be very different in terms of specifics, though I think the movie captured the mood of the books quite well.

thanks for the information.  I will check out prices and go from there.  

But yeah I like the ideas of the movie so sounds like the book may work for me

• Like 1