Plain Old Tele

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Given, in many ways, Fury Road paid tribute and emulated Road Warrior, I'm hoping in The Wasteland Miller opts to retool, improve Thunderdome with Furiosa or one of the wives being revised Aunty Entity. Furiosa is already less than altruistic here. I'd like her painted in an even darker shade. I'd actually prefer it to be a surviving wife but that role would require recast. None of the surviving wives have anywhere near the talent/presence to pull it off.

Strange. I saw it with seven of my friends and all of them said it was one of their favourite action films of all time. 

I saw it with my Dad, than a friend of mine and they both really liked it. 

I saw it with a friend and my brother.

Both are also interested in movie-making in general. My brother liked both the movie-making as well as the overall movie itself, while a friend of mine said it was mostly impressive on a movie-making scale and in some of the action scenes - he found both characters (exeptions: Furiosa and to some extent Joe) and story lacking, though. 

Personally, the skillfulness of the movie is certainly a major + for me, as I am not that interested in the franchise as a whole. Usually I would say that it is a bad sign if I am that aware of the craftmanship behind it all while watching the movie... for this one it elevated the movie for me, though. It is hard to explain. 

After rewatching it, I have to say, though, that the action is indeed a bit repetitive and the movie could be a bit shorter.

I will wait for a while and leave my A- (9/10) for now... it might be more of a B+ (8/10) though.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

Didn't feel much for Nux either, especially in his death aside from being happy he achieved his dream of dying historic on the fury road. I guess I found it tough to conjure up feelings for any of the cancer plagued War Boys. I mean, unless I missed something, he was gonna die shortly regardless. His sacrifice lacked stakes.

The tangible stakes were Capable and the rest of the crew's survival and prosperity. The symbolic stake was Nux finding an actual and worthy purpose for his life and achieving that purpose. 

Really, Nux's arc was by far the most satisfying for me. He started out being a clueless pup (One of my favorite scenes was Splendid dishing out the truth and telling him he was as objectified as the Wives, trapped in an old man's self-serving false promises and masochistic hegemony) to rock bottom (when Splendid was killed and he saw those little dreams shatter in front of him) to actually bettering himself, breaking free of Immortan's lies and being so much more than what was promised, with the help of the immense compassion shown to him by Capable and the rest.

Furiosa and the Wives' empowering arcs will obviously get the most attention, but I think appreciating Nux's empowerment should be as crucial. He avoided the fate of dying a listless and exploited sad sack and instead managed to ensure that the remainder of his short life made a difference in facilitating freedom for his friends. Through them was his legacy. Live. Die. Live.

• Like 8

Makes perfect sense. I did like the Fragile attempting to run back. And, I did notice one being thinner than the rest. But, as you mentioned, Miller chose to attack their pain with subtlety to better shift the focus on Furiosa. Again, this discussion is partly to aid me before I take it in a second time tomorrow night. To put my physche more in line with Miller's so I can better absorb his goals.

Also, awesome to see something like Fury Road generate such compelling debate/discussion.

Rosie had said in an interview that the cuts on Splendid's arm were self-inflicted. 

I think each of the Wives had sufficient, broad strokes of characteristics to engage viewers to care for them on a basic level. Splendid was obviously the most developed with her ingenuity and resourcefulness, the way she rallied,  led and was protective of her "sisters" and used herself and her womb to shield Furiosa from Joe. Kravitz (Knowing?) was pretty tenacious, eager to prove her efficiency and worth. Fragile was interesting in that she showed signs of a broken spirit and Stockholm's Syndrome. I was sure that one was doomed so it was surprising that she managed to pull through for Furiosa and co. in the end. Capable as I mentioned in the above post, was instrumental in helping Nux find a purpose once he thought he had lost it all. The Dag (the anorexic blonde) was as kind, initially pleading with Furiosa and Max to spare Nux's life, then forming a bond with Melissa Jaffer's character. She was also quirky in the way she framed her phrases.

I agree with you that it would have been better if at least one of the wives had opposed Furiosa and the others, as there is such a thing as a female anti-feminist in real life, so it isn't as cut and dry as All Men vs. All Women. But I can overlook coz goddamn this is bliss.

• Like 2

The tangible stakes were Capable and the rest of the crew's survival and prosperity. The symbolic stake was Nux finding an actual and worthy purpose for his life and achieving that purpose. 

Really, Nux's arc was by far the most satisfying for me. He started out being a clueless pup (One of my favorite scenes was Splendid dishing out the truth and telling him he was as objectified as the Wives, trapped in an old man's self-serving false promises and masochistic hegemony) to rock bottom (when Splendid was killed and he saw those little dreams shatter in front of him) to actually bettering himself, breaking free of Immortan's lies and being so much more than what was promised, with the help of the immense compassion shown to him by Capable and the rest.

Furiosa and the Wives' empowering arcs will obviously get the most attention, but I think appreciating Nux's empowerment should be as crucial. He avoided the fate of dying a listless and exploited sad sack and instead managed to ensure that the remainder of his short life made a difference in facilitating freedom for his friends. Through them was his legacy. Live. Die. Live.

All registered... Just fell much more flat for me than it did for you. Like any simplistic arc, it just existed. I didn't really care either way. That's me though. Glad it worked for you.

• Like 1

Rosie had said in an interview that the cuts on Splendid's arm were self-inflicted. 

I think each of the Wives had sufficient, broad strokes of characteristics to engage viewers to care for them on a basic level. Splendid was obviously the most developed with her ingenuity and resourcefulness, the way she rallied,  led and was protective of her "sisters" and used herself and her womb to shield Furiosa from Joe. Kravitz (Knowing?) was pretty tenacious, eager to prove her efficiency and worth. Fragile was interesting in that she showed signs of a broken spirit and Stockholm's Syndrome. I was sure that one was doomed so it was surprising that she managed to pull through for Furiosa and co. in the end. Capable as I mentioned in the above post, was instrumental in helping Nux find a purpose once he thought he had lost it all. The Dag (the anorexic blonde) was as kind, initially pleading with Furiosa and Max to spare Nux's life, then forming a bond with Melissa Jaffer's character. She was also quirky in the way she framed her phrases.

I agree with you that it would have been better if at least one of the wives had opposed Furiosa and the others, as there is such a thing as a female anti-feminist in real life, so it isn't as cut and dry as All Men vs. All Women. But I can overlook coz goddamn this is bliss.

Splendid was the most compelling of the wives. For me, the only interesting one. Would've preferred they killed her later. But, that's a small gripe. I liked how Miller and Co. handled her. The others... Meh. They bothered so little with their characterizations that they may as well not have bothered at all. I liked Rosie more the second time around and the others even less.

I adored the old bags though. I felt them, I believed them. Wish their presence came sooner and lasted longer. Likely due entirely because I bought their performances more than any of the wives.

I also, on a separate note, yearned for some of the bizarro, juicy gore humor present in Road Warrior. As wondrous as the action spectacle I missed some of the goofy gags in mutilation and death. Miller's weirdo sense of humor is one of my favorite attribute of his... Sure, it's present here too. Just not thriving as it is when I like his work most. But, that's a different era of Max and not the mad reality Miller had in mind this go 'round.

Edit: Oh, I loved how beautiful the lair was for the wives. Gave insight into Joe treating 'em as more than just sex slaves. Even though that's all they were, he viewed them as such cherished toys. Not unlike an elaborate trophy room decked out with decor.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

So... DASH has the theory on the tanker built into the mountain or maybe the other way around and that's how the water's supplied. I wonder if it's in endless supply? Or, if there's a really funny extended take of the ending in which the water runs dry as the camera pans out. Theories?

• Like 1

So... DASH has the theory on the tanker built into the mountain or maybe the other way around and that's how the water's supplied. I wonder if it's in endless supply? Or, if there's a really funny extended take of the ending in which the water runs dry as the camera pans out. Theories?

Didn't one of the wives say Joe was pumping it? I assumed there was some sort of deep well being used.

• Like 2

The beauty of the lair was why I understood Fragile's dilemma and kind of wished one of them had actively revolted against the other women. Would have added to the humanity of the wives.

Regarding the mountain water, didn't one of the wives tell the old ladies that there was an underground reservoir lake that Joe had dug pipes into? Edit: Beaten by Tele.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 4

Didn't one of the wives say Joe was pumping it? I assumed there was some sort of deep well being used.

Thanks for the clarification... I thought she said something along those lines. But, I wasn't certain how it was being pumped, etc.

Agree wholeheartedly Spidey. That's why Fragile's lame attempt to run back rang so hollow for me. But, that's a different movie. Revolt? Stay behind? Any of that could have happened but it would've taken up more time and wouldn't really have fit in this movie. BUT, when she first started back, I thought for certain she'd sprint off into the distance and Furiosa would gun her in the back. Would've showed Fragile truly turned her back on the cause. Would've added more conflict between Furiosa and the remaining wives. Would've accented her desperation and shed a very grim shade on her less than altruistic self.

Edit: Part of me thought the old caretaker of the wives was going to blast a limb from Joe too... Knowing Miller's tendencies remove digits and limbs in Road Warrior. I assumed Furiosa armed her and then instructed her to kill Joe. I mean, she seemed prepared to do it and pay/take the ultimate sacrifice.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

I just read a fantastic piece explaining that this movie is the ultimate vegan movie. The ultimate animal rights manifesto.

Miller is a vegan and did both Babe and Happy Feet.

Connect the dots and you ll see the light !

I just read a fantastic piece explaining that this movie is the ultimate vegan movie. The ultimate animal rights manifesto.

Miller is a vegan and did both Babe and Happy Feet.

Connect the dots and you ll see the light !

I could just about see that. The same has been said of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, for more obvious reasons.

Anyway, great movie if a tad fat in the middle. Its WOM thankfully means a sequel is likely. WB are good at caring about that kind of thing.

Edited by Hatebox

Given, in many ways, Fury Road paid tribute and emulated Road Warrior, I'm hoping in The Wasteland Miller opts to retool, improve Thunderdome with Furiosa or one of the wives being revised Aunty Entity. Furiosa is already less than altruistic here. I'd like her painted in an even darker shade. I'd actually prefer it to be a surviving wife but that role would require recast. None of the surviving wives have anywhere near the talent/presence to pull it off.

I'd love to see Aunty Entity return. Don't necessarily want Furiosa or the wives to turn darker. Would prefer if the character were Entity herself, recast. Australia is certainly big enough for more than one matriarchal society!

Speaking of Thunderdome, was just listening to "We Don't Need Another Hero". So many themes from the lyrics fit Fury Road perfectly. Now I'm sad FR doesn't have a Tina Turner OST. 

Part of me thought the old caretaker of the wives was going to blast a limb from Joe too... Knowing Miller's tendencies remove digits and limbs in Road Warrior. I assumed Furiosa armed her and then instructed her to kill Joe. I mean, she seemed prepared to do it and pay/take the ultimate sacrifice.

Part of me thought Miss Giddy was an earlier wife whose youth and virility was sucked away by Immortan throughout the years.  :mellow:

• Like 3

Delightfully weird.

I was actually a big fan of Hardy's Mad Max. Sure he mumbled and croaked a few lines, but I thought he was a worthy successor to the still superior Gibson. Furiosa of course stole the show. Easily Max's equal in terms of prowess if not better in some respects.

And dat final sequence. whew.png

Was on the edge of the seat my whole time

Cons:

Should have 45 minutes longer. Like, how did Max get all those guns and stuff when the truck was stuck in the mud? Needed a scene explaining that.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Delightfully weird.

I was actually a big fan of Hardy's Mad Max. Sure he mumbled and croaked a few lines, but I thought he was a worthy successor to the still superior Gibson. Furiosa of course stole the show. Easily Max's equal in terms of prowess if not better in some respects.

And dat final sequence. whew.png

Was on the edge of the seat my whole time

Cons:

Should have 45 minutes longer. Like, how did Max get all those guns and stuff when the truck was stuck in the mud? Needed a scene explaining that.

He went to go kill the guy wearing the turban made of bullets. We heard an explosion, so he somehow made an explosion. GG.