Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Just got back from PP2 and have to say I'm pretty impressed. I liked the first one, but not so much that I was guaranteed to see the sequel in theaters. I was pretty much on the fence and leaning towards waiting until it came to TV, but the massive opening piqued my interest and tipped the scales.

I enjoyed every minute of it, even the stuff I could see coming a mile away. The humor was spot on, pretty much every interaction between Banks and Higgins was flat out hilarious.

Not since Kingsman have I left a movie when it ended that I know I will be seeing it again in the theater.

Anyone who's disappointed in Mad Max confuses me. It's always been a niche movie, and personally, I've still been thinking 30M-ish. I'm very pleased with this number.

Anyway, heading out to see it in less than hour.

• Like 1

That's because it's referencing Christina Aguilera. An obscure footnote in music history who plummeted with every album and was always in the shadow of other female singers during her brief period of quasi-relevance.

LMFAO!

Poor Xtina, but Britney is in her level these days. :ph34r:

Typical pop star career life cycle. In their defense people need to learn that Empress Madonna is the superior exception, not the typical rule.

Despite Christina's sales against an industry puppet like Britney, her sales were always going to be much less, especially when Christina experimented with and ventured into other styles of music. Christina was also extremely vocal of what she stood for, and she made no apologizes about who she was really.

Nevertheless, despite selling over 100 million records in total, Christina has had a major impact because of how influential and the sheer quality of her music was. She has garnered the respect of many, including Whitney, Tony Bennett, Mick Jagger, Madonna, Elton John, Celina, B.B King (RIP), etc . She is referred to as one of the greats and The Voice Of A Generation. She's even ventured into film and television, that has really made her a big brand. She's a multitalented threat and legend really.

In fact, her flops are known for still doing well. For one, Bionic and the era itself had to face an uphill battle with receiving no love from the media and radio. Gaga used her network to turn them against Christina, and thus, this really affected her image and later sales. Despite that, Bionic is revered and was named Billboard's Best Mainstream Pop Album of 2010. As for Lotus, it had two gold singles, Your Body never having a performance or promo, and Just A Fool having only two performances. Surely, her flops opened the door for others to flop, most even worse.

And somehow you all like to discredit her, she's still maintained huge relevance in the 2010s with her mega collaborations and The Voice, Nashville, etc. But you know, do what you gotta do to try to drag her.

I'll take that over sales and being in a retirement home doing aerobic exercises while lip-syncing to sold-out shows. Sure, Britney was bigger, but it's obvious who was better and who has had a real genuine impact.

tumblr_mhv2gzRPYB1ql5yr7o1_250.gif

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 2

Despite Christina's sales against an industry puppet like Britney, her sales were always going to be much less, especially when Christina experimented with and ventured into other styles of music. Christina was also extremely vocal of what she stood for, and she made no apologizes about who she was really.

Nevertheless, despite selling over 100 million records in total, Christina has had a major impact because of how influential and the sheer quality of her music was. She has garnered the respect of many, including Whitney, Tony Bennett, Mick Jagger, Madonna, Elton John, Celina, B.B King (RIP), etc . She is referred to as one of the greats and The Voice Of A Generation. She's even ventured into film and television, that has really made her a big brand. She's a multitalented threat and legend really.

In fact, her flops are known for still doing well. For one, Bionic and the era itself had to face an uphill battle with receiving no love from the media and radio. Gaga used her network to turn them against Christina, and thus, this really affected her image and later sales. Despite that, Bionic is revered and was named Billboard's Best Mainstream Pop Album of 2010. As for Lotus, it had two gold singles, Your Body never having a performance or promo, and Just A Fool having only two performances. Surely, her flops opened the door for others to flop, most even worse.

And somehow you all like to discredit her, she's still maintained huge relevance in the 2010s with her mega collaborations and The Voice, Nashville, etc. But you know, do what you gotta do to try to drag her.

I'll take that over sales and being in a retirement home doing aerobic exercises while lip-syncing to sold-out shows. Sure, Britney was bigger, but it's obvious who was better and who has had a real genuine impact.

tumblr_mhv2gzRPYB1ql5yr7o1_250.gif

Uh, ok...

• Like 1

I noticed this in the AoU thread and it seems to be repeating here. Someone says something slightly optimistic but overall innocuous and you jump on them with about 10x a reasonable level of belligerence. Carnage ensues, and it eventually comes out that your estimate is like 15-20% (or less) lower than the poster you initially jumped on.

So, your position, when its eventually pried out, is reasonable and even thoughtful. But the mystery remains of why you started a fistfight over a minor difference in expectations.

My guess is calibration. I think you're a reasonably bright and thoughtful guy who is miscalibrating and is coming out much more combatively than intended, resulting in arguments rather than discussions. Just something to ponder.

Tl;dr sorry. I know that's showing my age but all you need to see is my 7 warning points. You argue with me, it maybe a volatile exchange & I'm ok with that.

Xtina has not sold anywhere near 100 million records, LMFAO.

You talk about sitting on a reality TV show panel, so did Paula. So what's your point? Xtina is a mainstream singer that hasn't had hit album since 2006, just 7 years after her debut single. You can blame promo all you want, the fact of the matter is people were no longer interested. Unremarkable music and her DISGUSTING attitude toward others did her in. The notion that Xtina had more impact than Britney is laughable. (They're both crap mind you.)

You talk about sitting on a reality TV show panel, so did Paula. So what's your point? Xtina is a mainstream singer that hasn't had hit album since 2006, just 7 years after her debut single. You can blame promo all you want, the fact of the matter is people were no longer interested. Unremarkable music and her DISGUSTING attitude toward others did her in. The notion that Xtina had more impact than Britney is laughable. (They're both crap mind you.)

Paula? You mean Paulina Rubio? Lmfao, boo. Christina really REDEFINED the whole idea of bringing starpower into these kind of shows. They even got Britney into the X Factor, which was cancelled. They got Mariah for American Idol. Lol, keep trying that. In fact, it'll be the last remaining show of that kind, though it won't last much longer since NBC is milking the crap out of it.

And I mean, album sales paired with single sales. Calm down, boo. I ain't like most people here who pull numbers out of their ass.

And yes, sis. But if people were no longer interested, why is she still relevant? Bionic suffered from RCA butting and sacrificing the vision of the album. And yeah, she's had a number one single in three decades. Hmm. And it's SO EASY to write someone off simply from album sales when the industry has changed. Mess, sis. LMFAO. Disgusting? Towards who, sis? The rumors about her being a bitch or diva are so far from the truth. 

You think that, sis, and that's fine if you do. Lol, she isn't crap, but okay, stay deluded about that.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt

has madonna latched on to ariana grande yet

• Like 1

Anyone who's disappointed in Mad Max confuses me. It's always been a niche movie, and personally, I've still been thinking 30M-ish. I'm very pleased with this number.

It's a solid result no doubt, enjoy it. Look forward to seeing it later this week.

Paula? You mean Paulina Rubio? Lmfao, boo. Christina really REDEFINED the whole idea of bringing starpower into these kind of shows. They even got Britney into the X Factor, which was cancelled. They got Mariah for American Idol. Lol, keep trying that. In fact, it'll be the last remaining show of that kind, though it won't last much longer since NBC is milking the crap out of it.

And I mean, album sales paired with single sales. Calm down, boo. I ain't like most people here who pull numbers out of their ass.

And yes, sis. But if people were no longer interested, why is she still relevant? Bionic suffered from RCA butting and sacrificing the vision of the album. And yeah, she's had a number one single in three decades. Hmm. And it's SO EASY to write someone off simply from album sales when the industry has changed. Mess, sis. LMFAO. Disgusting? Towards who, sis? The rumors about her being a bitch or diva are so far from the truth. 

You think that, sis, and that's fine if you do. Lol, she isn't crap, but okay, stay deluded about that.

I quite obviously meant Paula Abdul. Don't play coy.

With single sales Xtina has still not sold anywhere near 100 million records. I have followed global charts and sales for 15 years. I'm gonna to direct you to Xtina's thread at the UKMix forum, where her country-by-country sales are archived.

Xtina is not relevant. Look at her album sales. Look at Burlesque. What does she do successful other than sit on a TV show?

A few years back Bob Dylan got a Platinum album after no radio airplay and doing no promo other than one iTunes commercial. Two of the singles from Adele's 21 didn't even have music videos. Promo is an excuse.

The "rumors" about her attitude are FACT.

I thought so too. Didn't get the negative slant Deadline put on this in their latest update. Seemed too harsh IMHO.

has madonna latched on to ariana grande yet

LOL You mean the 56 year old who put out her first single 32 1/2 years ago, yet recently got her 21st Billboard 200 Top 10 album and just broke the all time record for the most #1s on any Billboard chart ever?

Rebel Heart, after two SOLO singles, has sold more than Ariana's album globally despite getting 1/500th the radio airplay and exposure so I'm not seeing your point?

• Like 1

LOL You mean the 56 year old who put out her first single 32 1/2 years ago, yet recently got her 21st Billboard 200 Top 10 album and just broke the all time record for the most #1s on any Billboard chart ever?

Rebel Heart, after two SOLO singles, has sold more than Ariana's album globally despite getting 1/500th the radio airplay and exposure so I'm not seeing your point?

what about miley is she still trying to make that happen

I quite obviously meant Paula Abdul. Don't play coy.

With single sales Xtina has still not sold anywhere near 100 million records. I have followed global charts and sales for 15 years. I'm gonna to direct you to Xtina's thread at the UKMix forum, where her country-by-country sales are archived.

Xtina is not relevant. Look at her album sales. Look at Burlesque. What does she do successful other than sit on a TV show?

A few years back Bob Dylan got a Platinum album after no radio airplay and doing no promo other than one iTunes commercial. Two of the singles from Adele's 21 didn't even have music videos. Promo is an excuse.

The "rumors" about her attitude are FACT.

Oh, that's right, she was big before. Still. She was labelled a loony for her behavior on that show, mess of a comparison.

And fuck, I think you're right, sis. I remember seeing a number over 100M. I just found the threads about her sales, but they're conflicting. I'll go with the lower one, 77M.

Burlesque actually did good on home video and did well with albums sales and is being syndicated on TV a lot now.

Two singles of Adele's 21 still rode off the success of the previous scalpage which were the hits, and let's not act like Christina has a TON of music video. Bionic only received two, and Lotus one. Though I can see what you mean, but with someone like Christina, promo would be beneficial.

The rumor are not true though, LMFAO. For everyone that says she's a bitch or diva, there's ten more saying she's the opposite and great to work with, etc.