Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

A Tale Of Two Demos - maybe the two most perfect films to open up against one another

FURY ROAD -  Males (70%), 35+ (54%) 3D (46%)

Variety:  80% of Pitch Perfect 2 audience is female

Has to be most heavily male and female openings in a while no? 

It depends at my theater, middle of a large youth minority demo where Fast and Furious films are more popular then any other film series. It went berserk.

However  a few km away, different demos and it seemed just a normal opening day.

Well I know the demo in Corpus and it's pretty much the same in my area.

• Like 1

Whenever I read something about teenage girls being the driving force behind the success of a film, it always sounds like you are trying to invalidate the gross of the film.  Teenage boys make up a massive audience for so many films, so why the need to point out that teen girls are out in full force.  Money is spent the same way, regardless of who it comes from.

But teenage girls squeal!   :ph34r:

When F7 hit, it did about 75% of our business.  Avengers did about 85-90% of our business.

PP2 yesterday didn't even do 50% of our business.  EVERYTHING did well.   That's when the days are the busiest, when more than one movie with completely different demos collide.

• Like 4

Largely nonexistent. I think it was a huge mistake to put it on Memorial Day Weekend (speaking of which, this might challenge 2010 for the "weakest" Memorial Day frame of the last 15 years judging by the muted buzz for both openers).

Massive for both of this weekend's openers. I saw both movies yesterday (Pitch Perfect 2 was pretty good while Mad Max was ah-may-zing) so glad that they are really cleaning up.

The holdovers should be able to save it.

1. Tomorrowland: $52 million/$68 million
  2. Pitch Perfect 2: $45 million/$56 million ($148 million)
  3. Avengers 2: $31.5 million/$38.5 million ($424 million) 
  4. Mad Max - Fury Road: $29 million/$36 million ($95 million)
  5. Poltergeist: $25 million/$30 million 
  6. Hot Pursuit: $4.5 million/$5.5 million ($31 million) 
  7. Furious 7: $3 million/$3.5 million ($348 million) 
  8. Paul Blart - Mall Cop 2: $3 million/$3.75 million ($67 million) 
  9. The Age of Adaline: $2.5 million/$3 million ($41 million)
  10. Ex Machina: $2 million/$2.5 million ($22 million) 

$240-250 million for the 4 day isn't bad considering the two openers. I think PP2, Mad Max and Avengers 2 should hold up nicely enough to put 2015's ahead of 2010 and 2012 by a large margin. 

• Like 1

When F7 hit, it did about 75% of our business.  Avengers did about 85-90% of our business.

PP2 yesterday didn't even do 50% of our business.  EVERYTHING did well.   That's when the days are the busiest, when more than one movie with completely different demos collide.

Depends seemed busy day but nothing crazy at local theaters...

Here I noticed one film has to open massive for theaters to be really busy or it be some sort of Holiday.  

Agreed, yesterday I made a few cancellations (Paul Blart, Monkey Kingdom, Furious 7, and Age of Adeline . One showtime for each) to add more Pitch Perfects and had to give out a number of passes because of it. Especially for Blart.

That's how you know everything is doing good. It all helps in the end.

Hopefully that surprise is Inside Out.

Wouldn't really call a critically acclaimed, broad-appealing Pixar tentpole with no real kid competition for its first 3.5 weeks opening to $70 million+ a surprise.

Every Pixar film with 3D and inflation adjusts to $60 million+ OW (Toy Story 1 and Bug's Life probably miss $70 million+). Being the first big kids movie in almost 3 months should help IO a lot. 

The holdovers should be able to save it.

1. Tomorrowland: $52 million/$68 million
  2. Pitch Perfect 2: $45 million/$56 million ($148 million)
  3. Avengers 2: $31.5 million/$38.5 million ($424 million) 
  4. Mad Max - Fury Road: $29 million/$36 million ($95 million)
  5. Poltergeist: $25 million/$30 million 
  6. Hot Pursuit: $4.5 million/$5.5 million ($31 million) 
  7. Furious 7: $3 million/$3.5 million ($348 million) 
  8. Paul Blart - Mall Cop 2: $3 million/$3.75 million ($67 million) 
  9. The Age of Adaline: $2.5 million/$3 million ($41 million)
  10. Ex Machina: $2 million/$2.5 million ($22 million) 

$240-250 million for the 4 day isn't bad considering the two openers. I think PP2, Mad Max and Avengers 2 should hold up nicely enough to put 2015's ahead of 2010 and 2012 by a large margin. 

Tomorrowland, at this point, will be lucky if it even opens to half of that.

• Like 1

Tomorrowland, at this point, will be lucky if it even opens to half of that.

I'd say the utter lack of a true kids movie right now will get it to a $45-50 million 4 day at the least. 

$25-30 million for the 4 day would be an absolute bomb... and probably would set San Andreas up for a $45-50 million OW. And also build some pent-up demand from families once Inside Out comes out. 

A Tale Of Two Demos - maybe the two most perfect films to open up against one another

Exhibitor Relations – ‏@ERCboxoffice

FURY ROAD - Males (70%), 35+ (54%) 3D (46%)

Variety: 80% of Pitch Perfect 2 audience is female

I have a feeling that MM could have been way bigger without PP stealing the female audience.. Edited by Raphael Perfect