#ED

Weekend Official Estimates: SA 53.2m, PP 14.4m, TL 13.8m, MMFR 13.6m, AOU 10.9m, Aloha 10m

Now see, you'd think it'd be the east coast that would enjoy watching the west coast get utterly destroyed. ;)

I know a lot of my colleagues whom I showed the trailer to had the first reaction of "I am watching that on the big screen for sure. Can't wait to see my neighborhood/locations/landmarks I know get destroyed". It is kind of weird, but even I was sold on the movie the moment I saw my office as well as my client office being destroyed in the first trailer.

I never understood people calling 30m OW for San Andreas. Given the calendar, the genre of the movie, The Rock....this was gonna open with +40m no matter what. 50-55m OW is just sweet.

Btw, that's a fantastic incrase, even something more family friendly like Maleficent only increased 5% this day. Awesome.

The WC is loving it

SA

On Friday state CA took more then #2-6 combined (TX FL NY IL GA), GLA took about 2.5 time NYC normally not big diff between them & SFO took almost as much as NYC (normally huge diff)

Edited by RthWillSeeYouNow
  • Like 9

Do we know budget for SA? The special effects were pretty phenomenal I thought, so I can't imagine it was cheap.

110m. Other sources say 125m. Compare with the 200m budget of 2012. This will end being very profitable.

Edited by picores
  • Like 2

Do we know budget for SA? The special effects were pretty phenomenal I thought, so I can't imagine it was cheap.

110M apparently. Will make money for WB for sure and will play endlessly on TV for the next decade.

• Like 1

For Tv rights do they just purchase it for a few or do they have to pay the studio whenever the film airs?

I believe they just pay a general licensing fee, though residuals are paid each time it's shown. Occasionally people claim that the studio sells the rights to their own network on the cheap (thus screwing a bunch of people out of profit participation).

Wow, that really is an awesome increase for San Andreas! I thought it would stay flat at best! 55M could happen now, great for a movie that I thought was a risky bet, but bet high on (even though I was unsure of how it would do).

Also, watched Poseidon tonight, not a bad film and the effects were really good, but my problem with it was I didn't like many of the characters, and watching it didn't make me feel good. Even though people are dying all the time in disaster movies, I have fun watching them. This one the deaths were just too "real"' if that makes sense.

110m. Other sources say 125m. Compare with the 200m budget of 2012. This will end being very profitable.

Woah. If either number is true I'm amazed at what they were able to do with the VFX off of a relatively moderate budget in today's blockbuster world. Really puts some of these 200m+ ones to shame.

• Like 3

For Tv rights do they just purchase it for a few or do they have to pay the studio whenever the film airs?

Usually pay TV purchase for a given period say 2 years and during that time can play it X times, FTA usually by each airing, rates usually based on BO
  • Like 2