Rsyu

The Martian OS Thread | 17m Weekend | 245.6m OS total

On November 8, 2015 at 11:13:38 AM, PanaMovie said:

The Martian scored an additional $9.3 million from 50 overseas markets, raising its cume to $261.4 million overseas and $458.5 million worldwide. France retained its top spot this weekend with $2.5 million for a $16.4 million cume. The Martian will touch down in China on November 25 and in Japan sometime in February.

Source: BoxOffice.com

China is the key for 600M WW

I would actually be more surprised if this didn't hit $600m WW. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moviedweeb said:

I would actually be more surprised if this didn't hit $600m WW. 

I think it's all but assured at this point. The assumption has been roughly $200M domestic, $100M China, and $300M everywhere else. It's marching past the domestic figure and will beat the "everywhere else" total, if not now then at least when Japan opens. Thus The Martian just needs to avoid under-performance in China. Indeed, I hope around Dec 1 we're talking about a Chinese over-performance and even greater possible plateaus such as Interstellar's $675M. If the stars align, it could happen.

• Like 1

THE MARTIAN
Ridley Scott’s latest continues to cultivate box office wherever it lands. A$5.3M weekend from 3,082 screens in 47 markets blasts the offshore total to $270.5M. This film, from Fox, is on track to best all of Scott’s overseas performances. Despite the tragic events in Paris and a day when movie theaters were shut, the territory drew $1.4M for an $18.2M cume. Other key cumes after several weeks of play are the UK at $35.3M, Korea at $333.6M and Germany at $16M. China releases November 25 and Japan goes later in February.

Source: Deadline.com

8 hours ago, PanaMovie said:

THE MARTIAN
Ridley Scott’s latest continues to cultivate box office wherever it lands. A$5.3M weekend from 3,082 screens in 47 markets blasts the offshore total to $270.5M. This film, from Fox, is on track to best all of Scott’s overseas performances. Despite the tragic events in Paris and a day when movie theaters were shut, the territory drew $1.4M for an $18.2M cume. Other key cumes after several weeks of play are the UK at $35.3M, Korea at $333.6M and Germany at $16M. China releases November 25 and Japan goes later in February.

Source: Deadline.com

China will do 100 mill plus and so, 600 mill is well within range.

The Martian is on top of the world thanks to a strong 5-day $50.1 million debut from 4,848 screens in China. The Chinese release is 139% ahead of Gravity's 6-day opening gross and 158% ahead of Interstellar's 5-day debut. IMAX screenings in China contributed $6.6 million from 249 dates for a $27k per-screen average. The weekend's total overseas haul amounts to $51.3 million. The Martian is now Ridley Scott's best performing film of all time at the overseas box office with $326.5 million to date. The film has grossed $545.1 million worldwide. Japan is the film's final remaining market, where it will release this upcoming February.

Source: BoxOffice.com

• Like 1

That's great to see that one of my favorite movies of 2015 (Also one of the best of 2015 in general) is doing so well WW. The massive opening in China was indeed expected for all the reasons above, especially how well the Chinese were pretreated in this flick. With remaining holds from China and Japan on the horizon I can expect around 630M~680M WW finish.

$620 million is still a major success considering that The Martian had a total budget of $155 million. Interstellar grossed $665, but had a total budget of $215 million, so The Martian was more profitable. TM's huge gross in domestic markets means it'll have a higher return of profit.