K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

JW is making what its making because of the love for the franchise. Do you really think it would be having a 200mil opening weekend if it was an orig film about dinosaurs and not a part of the JP series?.

There are factors in every films gross. JP had the cgi dino's that no one had seen before, JW has the love of the franchise behind it.

And your point earlier was that CGI is too saturated in the market. My point is that it was less about the CGI and more about the realistic visuals of dinosaurs that made such a huge impact. Who gives a rat's ass about CGI aliens and other CGI characters. Dinosaurs have a special place in people's minds. Given the genuine lack of live action dinosaur movies in the last 22 years, it is too easily dismissive to say a Jurassic Park phenomenon could not happen today. It very well could have played out that way if the timing of things was a bit different.

Does this say more about how this film overperformed or how the first two sequels underperformed?   Because, no matter how much this film starts with it ain't making 700m(what JP1 adjusts to). Not even close.

Didn't they have a comment about this in the movie? That the dinosaurs weren't natural and they made them how the public wanted to see them.

I havent seen it yet, but thats the point I was making..

If Cameron directed it we wouldn't have John Williams' iconic music that blends perfectly with the visuals. We'd have some James Horner rehash of Braveheart or Titanic.

Perhaps, but music is only a part of it. Unmemorable music didnt hurt Avatar. Iconic music didnt save the Hobbit.

It is kind of weird, but Universal effectively lucked into 2015 being their biggest year. 50 Shades was delayed due to Hunnam, we all know what happened with Furious 7, Jurassic World production was shut down to improve the script (I guess) and all of these came from 2014 into 2015 releases.

Universal was smart though, they made full use of the Superbowl on NBC and promoted them to the largest audience possible as well as running a relentless marketing campaign.

Just shows that it is okay to delay movies or shut down production to take time to get it right. Doesn't always mean that things are screwed.

• Like 2

Didn't they have a comment about this in the movie? That the dinosaurs weren't natural and they made them how the public wanted to see them.

Wait, so they are saying that Hollywood is trying to cater to their audience?

Those bastards.  

Does this say more about how this film overperformed or how the first two sequels underperformed?   Because, no matter how much this film starts with it ain't making 700m(what JP1 adjusts to). Not even close.

Aw shit everyone's up in this motherfucker

But it's different times now.  You'll be able to watch JW at home in about a week.

• Like 3

You know this is one thing I don't get about studios these days. Home video sales are way lower than they were in the 90s and 00's, yet they are much quicker to rush their films out on home formats in 3-4 months. You'd figure with most people opting to wait until they can stream the film on Netflix or something rather than pay $20-30 for the dvd or bluray, studios would be trying to milk the theatrical releases for every dime they can. A great recent example is Frozen. It ended up being a smash hit and had incredible legs. It was still playing in well over 1000 theaters at the time of its home release, and made $2 million the weekend before. Yet, the film was released and definitely lost a few million bucks thanks to that.

Tl;dr with nobody buying DVDs and blurays like they used to, I don't get why studios don't make more of an effort to hold off on the home release for a while and find ways to extend theatrical life.

Frozen sold a lot of DVDs, so I don't think that's the best example. It's probably more about minimising piracy, a theatre run is not more than a few months, but then there's all the time after that to consider.

And Avatar only made $700 million because of weekends with a 90% 3D share at 3D's peak..

Not hitting $700 million is not a blight against JW.

• Like 1

And your point earlier was that CGI is too saturated in the market. My point is that it was less about the CGI and more about the realistic visuals of dinosaurs that made such a huge impact. Who gives a rat's ass about CGI aliens and other CGI characters. Dinosaurs have a special place in people's minds. Given the genuine lack of live action dinosaur movies in the last 22 years, it is too easily dismissive to say a Jurassic Park phenomenon could not happen today. It very well could have played out that way if the timing of things was a bit different.

Just so you know, i love the franchise and i'm right behind this film.

I don't agree with you over this, JP would have zero chance at 750mil if it opened today imo but lets agree to disagree on this, neither of us could say 100% certain.

It is kind of weird, but Universal effectively lucked into 2015 being their biggest year. 50 Shades was delayed due to Hunnam, we all know what happened with Furious 7, Jurassic World production was shut down to improve the script (I guess) and all of these came from 2014 into 2015 releases.

Universal was smart though, they made full use of the Superbowl on NBC and promoted them to the largest audience possible as well as running a relentless marketing campaign.

Just shows that it is okay to delay movies or shut down production to take time to get it right. Doesn't always mean that things are screwed.

What's funny is that 2015 isn't done for them.

Ted 2 should do $170-220 million DOM - a solid finish that will boosted by OS sales. 

Minions should do $275-375 million DOM - the franchise peak right here.

Trainwreck should do $110-140 million DOM - sleeper hit with female appeal

Straight Outta Compton should do $90-120 million DOM - sleeper hit with urban appeal

Everest should do $60-80 million DOM - solid mid-budget thriller performance 

Steve Jobs should do $65-85 million DOM - possibly $90 million. Looks like a nice Social Network-esque drama 

Crimson Peak should do $110-130 million DOM - comparable to Conjuring IMO. 

Sisters should do $80-110 million DOM - solid low-budget female comedy.

There's obviously some meh entries in there in terms of BO potential (The Visit, Jem and the Holograms, By the Sea, Krampus), but Universal is gunning for the single-year DOM/OS/WW record. 

But it's different times now.  You'll be able to watch JW at home in about a week.

I agree with this. Piracy has killed the B.O. in many ways.

• Like 1

What's funny is that 2015 isn't done for them.

Ted 2 should do $170-220 million DOM - a solid finish that will boosted by OS sales. 

Minions should do $275-375 million DOM - the franchise peak right here.

Trainwreck should do $110-140 million DOM - sleeper hit with female appeal

Straight Outta Compton should do $90-120 million DOM - sleeper hit with urban appeal

Everest should do $60-80 million DOM - solid mid-budget thriller performance 

Steve Jobs should do $65-85 million DOM - possibly $90 million. Looks like a nice Social Network-esque drama 

Crimson Peak should do $110-130 million DOM - comparable to Conjuring IMO. 

Sisters should do $80-110 million DOM - solid low-budget female comedy.

There's obviously some meh entries in there in terms of BO potential (The Visit, Jem and the Holograms, By the Sea, Krampus), but Universal is gunning for the single-year DOM/OS/WW record.

I honestly can't see Ted 2 doing that much. I think the novelty has worn off

• Like 1