K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

2.38 multi is great? Inflated opening Friday or not, that is not my idea of great legs. If you open around 150 and have great WOM you should hit 400+, not come up 50 mill short.

The Furious franchise has always had stubby legs, so F7 managing a 2.38 even after burning off so much initial demand is worth some credit.

I've explained this about three times now.  Spy will level out next weekend.  The Proposal did the exact same thing.  It dropped 46% in its second weekend when TRF2 opened.  It then leveled out the weeks after dropping in the 20's and 30's.  Spy will do the same,  How could you expect it not to drop what it did this week in the face of a record opener?

I said this in the Spy thread like an hour ago. I don't know why people here think the 2nd weekend is definative. I thought we'd know by now 3rd and beyond is where you really judge things.

Looks like this won't hit $100m.

Quite annoyed. It fully deserves to.

Come on, you know you have to wait for weekend 3 to see where its heading. With or without JW, this weekend was never going to be a good indicator. If it drops another 45% next weekend, then youre right, but for all we know it could stabilize and drop 25%.

Weekdays have been good, lets not calling it off just yet. There's no major female competition again anyway until Magic Mike and no R-rated comedy till Ted.

• Like 2

It is fucking incredible. My friend told me that JP is a special film for her family. Its a bonding experience and holds a special plane in their family. This is EXACTLY why it is doing this huge. Me and her are 22 years old and for us, JP is a classic. It brings back childhood and memories. Just hearing the iconic soundtrack brings me that feeling. And it is something that we haven't been given since well JP3, nearly 15 years ago. We have been longing for this film for more than half our lives. I love this. 

It is hitting all quadrants and age demos. Kids like me who grew up on it, older kids and teens that saw it back '93 and experienced it in theaters firsthand, and everyone else that took their kids or went to check it out 22 years ago. All of them, plus a whole new set of kids. Its crazy. 

• Like 1

5/28/89Indiana Jones and the Last CrusadePar.$29,355,021

5/24/87Beverly Hills Cop IIPar.$26,348,555

Shortest OW Record (BHC 2, 4 Days)

That's two years and four days.

The shortest records are for Every Which Way But Loose and Ghostbusters II, both of which held the record for 7 days. Logically, that's the minimum. I suppose Every Which Way held the OW record for longer, though, since it lost the weekend record to Superman's 3rd weekend.

So, Ghostbusters II. Shortest OW record holder in history, and the film which broke the record by the lowest margin.

• Like 1

3 OW's records in 1989. Good lord.

Summer of 1989 was Legendary bro, very vivid memories that summer.  It was Bat mania.  Indy was riding off in the sunset and Ghostbuster had a sequel.  "Honey I shrunk the kids".  Freddy and Jason both had sequels.  Lethal Weapon 2 also dropped that summer.   It was just Big that summer. 

Edited by filmscholar

This is the first time I can remember a forum being this active on a Sunday afternoon. Most of the time, even on big weekends, people come in Sunday morning for estimates and that's it.

It's like Universal purposely made the estimate a bit under the record so that we could still have some buzz this late in the weekend XD

• Like 2

That's really when the opening weekend became a big deal. So many headlines about the three movies that did it and then after that it became a big target for every big movie property.

It was the first summer I followed the box office closely.  I was made when Batman beat Indy.  I also saw Indy at the theater 13X that summer.  :)