grim22

Monday #s: Jurassic World 25.34M | DOWN GOES TDK MONDAY

He wasn't suddenly a good guy, it was made really clear well before that point that he was basically the "the equalizer" if creatures like the MUTOs appeared. Plus, he's been the "good guy" for pretty much all the original movies (as far as I know, anyway, I'm not a huge Godzilla expert).

I thought Godzilla was after the MUTOs for most of the movie because he saw them as more of a threat to his survival than humans, not because he was an "equalizer"?  Either way, still disappointing. :P

Edited by Ozymandias

He wasn't suddenly a good guy, it was made really clear well before that point that he was basically the "the equalizer" if creatures like the MUTOs appeared. Plus, he's been the "good guy" for pretty much all the original movies (as far as I know, anyway, I'm not a huge Godzilla expert).

Does this look like he was marketed as the equalizer or good guy?

I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer here, I mean, I liked this movie and am glad for all the financial success it is getting.  But... I have a feeling this movie will go above 600M.  I don't know why it bothers me, but the number 600,788,188 - even though it was surpassed by both Avatar and Avengers - just has a special significance that I really don't want anymore movies to surpass.  Yes, I'm a Titanic lover, so I'm a little biased.  However, I know that even if Jurassic World does eventually get to that threshold, I know that Titanic destroys everything in its wake in regards to Ticket Sales.

But anyway... Go Jurassic World... Go Universal... kick the world's ass!

I understand people got frustrated with the marketing, but at the end of the day I thought it was a good movie... and a very good Godzilla movie.

I must agree with you. Godzilla was good, not great but good.

I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer here, I mean, I liked this movie and am glad for all the financial success it is getting.  But... I have a feeling this movie will go above 600M.  I don't know why it bothers me, but the number 600,788,188 - even though it was surpassed by both Avatar and Avengers - just has a special significance that I really don't want anymore movies to surpass.  Yes, I'm a Titanic lover, so I'm a little biased.  However, I know that even if Jurassic World does eventually get to that threshold, I know that Titanic destroys everything in its wake in regards to Ticket Sales.

Don't feel bad. Titanic had the best run any of us have ever seen or will ever see. It's the best BO run of modern times and maybe the very best of all-time period. No amount of ticket price inflation and gimmicks like IMAX or 3D will change that. Besides, JP4 has a long, long way to go before 600 is realistically in play for it. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it actually gets there.

Don't feel bad. Titanic had the best run any of us have ever seen or will ever see. It's the best BO run of modern times and maybe the very best of all-time period. No amount of ticket price inflation and gimmicks like IMAX or 3D will change that. Besides, JP4 has a long, long way to go before 600 is realistically in play for it. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it actually gets there.

Titanic was a totally different animal.

My grandparents hadn't been to the cinema since the late 40's and they even went to see Titanic in the theaters. I also remember my grandfather pointing out that there was two different takes regarding the scene when Dicaprio pencil's Kate. Anyhow, he noticed an explicit difference that a 85 year old at the time probably shouldn't have. Anyhow, that is another story.

• Like 1

I do agree.

Titanic was legendary about a significant event in history.

Avatar was pretty much revolutionary in 3D and effects.

Avengers was the first team up of universally loved characters.

Jurassic World is the fourth sequel in a 22 year old franchise. 

Nothing against JW but just feels slightly less special now, that 600 Million spot.

Edited by LaneFair
  • Like 1

I do agree.

Nothing against JW but just feels slightly less special now, that 600 Million spot.

I wonder if people said the same thing when Phantom Menace reached $400m. That was a very rare number at the time, even rarer in terms of initial run than 600 is today. Nostalgia factor was enormous for TPM just like we're seeing with JP4. Maybe it just goes to show how special Star Wars and Jurassic Park are in pop culture.

I do agree.

I fail to see how JW being the 4th entry (not sequel) in 22 years makes it less special than a film that was the culmination of 5 previous films in 4 years.

Edited by PDC1987