#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jurassic-worlds-unintentionally-very-racist-line-is-stunning-audiences-10328121.html

rooooofl

This bitch-made insta-outrage culture we're living is seriously reaching absurd levels.  You can't read anything in the news anymore without somebody being offended over silly shit.

:lol:

$100 million openers with sub 50% 2nd weekend drops:

-Shrek 2

-Spiderman

-Alice in Wonderland

-Goblet of Fire

-Toy Story 3

-Revenge of the Sith

Iron Man would have counted had Thursday previews been wrapped into the Friday numbers as they are today.

It's so weird that Alice managed a 2nd weekend drop under 50% but then couldn't get a 3x multiplier.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jurassic-worlds-unintentionally-very-racist-line-is-stunning-audiences-10328121.html

rooooofl

This bitch-made insta-outrage culture we're living is seriously reaching absurd levels.  You can't read anything in the news anymore without somebody being offended over silly shit.

Great! Now we can't even abbreviate long ass dino names any more, lol. 

rooooofl

giphy.gif

There's a lot of stock in comic book movies to carry 2016 to big success, which could be a bad thing. I think CBM's may finally be winding down a bit in popularity. Though thankfully the GA will get a much needed reprieve from them between F4 and BvS. Then we have the BvS/Civil War/Apocalypse onslaught in Mar-May. Still I won't be surprised if animation is the big winner next year, not CBM's. Pets, KFP3, Dory, Ice Age, Zootopia, Moana...tons of potential heavy hitters for the genre. Either a lot are going to tank or it will truly be the year of animation at the box office.

Ice Age 5 and KFP3 will only be big overseas. They'll do $120-170 million DOM over here. Solid, but nothing spectacular. 

1. Dory: $475 million
  2. Moana: $325 million 
  3. The Secret Lives of Pets: $275 million 
  4. Zootopia: $230 million 
  5. Kung Fu Panda 3: $145 million 
  6. Ice Age 5: $135 million 

IO isn't getting a 4x multi, that much I know. I don't doubt WOM is great all around, but people need to put its OW in perspective for a moment and also look at the recent trend of animated multis. I don't think any better WOM was even possible for TS3, yet it stopped under a 3.8x multi because it had such a huge OW. IO's OW is going to be less than 15m below TS3's, so they're opening fairly similarly. And as I said, recent trends for animated multis aren't what they once were. Only the very well received ones are hitting 3.5x multis now and 4x is becoming near impossible barring a small OW. Don't even know what the last big animated film to open on a Friday and get a 4x multi was? BH6 came close but still fell short. Even Frozen would have probably just made it with a Friday opening. So 3.5x is more than a high enough goal for IO to shoot for with that massive OW and current animation multis. That's not even taking into account the havoc Minions could wreak on its late legs. People should prepare now for the possibility of IO not going much above 3.2x or so, even with the WOM.

Box office rules are made to be broken... Inside Out just might be the one to defy the trend. Plus, WOM for Inside Out has just started to spread and there's a holiday weekend coming with zero kid-friendly releases other than rewatching JW. 

I see a 3.8x-4.3x - 2015 doesn't follow conventions  :P so $356 million to $406 million DOM. However, this could defy typical animated multis and harken back to the days of early Pixar with TS2, Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo. 

Also, unlike Minions, Inside Out has massive adult appeal. I saw a lot of adults without kids when I went to see it last night. It'll hold fine against Minions: 45-50% drop. If anything Inside Out's breakout will hurt Minions... honestly, both can coexist just fine. They're the only two major kids movies between March and September this year, so there's plenty of breathing room.  

rooooofl

Exactly what audiences are being "stunned" by this? Methinks a ratings/click hungry media figure thought this up, as usual.

• Like 1

rooooofl

lol total click bate article

Jurassic World wasn't even a good film. I saw it a 2nd time this weekend with my female co-worker(she didn't like it and no sex afterwards). It was on par with Man of Steel and Godzilla, but overall it was a fun film.

Zara's death

and Claire running in heels probably turned her off.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Clicking on the link gives them views, which translate to ad money and more click bait articles.

Full disclosure: I clicked the link and now I regret it.  Also, my post initially read "ad dollars", but I changed it lest I be accused of promoting American cultural imperialism pertaining a British website.

Edited by Tubes

Jurassic World wasn't even a good film. I saw it a 2nd time this weekend with my female co-worker(she didn't like it and no sex afterwards). It was on par with Man of Steel and Godzilla, but overall it was a fun film.

Zara's death

and Claire running in heels probably turned her off.

So obvious. Edited by Telemachos

so where are we thinking JW will finish? Still see it landing right around $600m. Prob just a shade over for $610m.

650.  It will be number two of all time.

• Like 3

rooooofl

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....that is about the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life.  Do people think that being "offended" by something is going to make them rich, or famous or well known?  These idiots need to get a life.  Bunch of dumb asses.

• Like 6