#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

All theaters were empty for JW this weekend there. IO was selling out everywhere, because of course.

Or something like this :P

EDIT: Meanwhile Focus says the movie in reality didn't even make it to 77M this weekend (below Age of Ultron's 2nd weekend and Universal fudge it to beat Avengers's 2nd weekend. The crumbling continues.

WHAT ABOUT THE ADMISSIONS WITH INFLATION ADDED INTO IT?  :ph34r:

I kid.  :P

• Like 1

If it's only as "awesome" as the 3 prequels though, we're in trouble.

If it is only as awesome as the prequels, it'll probably make 500 mill.  I don't see how it can be anywhere near as good as the originals because they are just so classic that nothing anyone ever does will be able to live up to what they brought to the table.

inflation is inflation. Cost of cinema tickets go up as well as salaries lol. This year just shows that people do go to the cinema if there's something worth watching. Shrek 2's 2nd weekend is just as impressive as Jw's, I agree with that but TDAT'S OW was more impressive than IO's opening ultimately making that weekend more impressive.

What? Not at all. A completely 'original' 'animated' movie with an abstract concept vs a visual effects-fest movie with lots of booms and big scenes and a plot and setting that is hugely appealing to audience. And it still made less even after adjusting! How is that more impressive? The only thing IO had with it was the Pixar Brand which too has been overshadowed by disney in recent years and has produced some not as much loved movie in the past few years as it used to causing many to even believe that the studio must have lost a lot of its fans... there's no way TDAT's OW was even half as impressive to anyone...no way.

• Like 2

Where is our Canada report from Lordmandeep?  :ph34r:

All theaters were empty for JW this weekend there. IO was selling out everywhere, because of course.

Or something like this :P

EDIT: Meanwhile Focus says the movie in reality didn't even make it to 77M this weekend (below Age of Ultron's 2nd weekend and Universal fudge it to beat Avengers's 2nd weekend. The crumbling continues.

He'll never live down his Nunavet being empty reports, but to be fair to LMD, he has now said that the hype is real in Canada too.  It just took about 3 days for it to get here apparently.

• Like 3

Exactly!. It doesn't need to pass Avatar or Titanic to be a success because it already is one.

Of course it doesn't need to.

But it sure would be awesome if it passed Titanic. 

We just want this epic run to continue. Honestly there's no other movie I see breaking out big until SW7, so I feel like this and Inside Out are the last huge breakouts for a while before a string of under-performers.

What? Not at all. A completely 'original' 'animated' movie with an abstract concept vs a visual effects-fest movie with lots of booms and big scenes and a plot and setting that is hugely appealing to audience. And it still made less even after adjusting! How is that more impressive? The only thing IO had with it was the Pixar Brand which too has been overshadowed by disney in recent years and has produced some not as much loved movie in the past few years as it used to causing many to even believe that the studio must have lost a lot of its fans... there's no way TDAT's OW was even half as impressive to anyone...no way.

Lmao TDAT wasn't predicted to earn much more than 45m during its opening back in the day and Pixar movies tend to open to 60m+

Matter of fact, its performing just like Incredibles, monsrers inc and Finding nemo, 3 other original Pixar movies which adjusted with inflation all opened higher than IO, and thats wothout taking 3d into account. You clearly lack knowledge if you're going to ignore that the fact TDAT only adjusts lower due to 3d prices. TDAT shocked everyone with its opening back then, more so than IO's today, you clearly weren't tracking box office back then. TDAT'S opening is more impressive, that's a fact

A lot of people weren't even expecting Star Wars to top the year when we were all considering Avengers with around 550m to be the only contender. Now people suddenly have so much hope that this may beat 650m or at least come quite close to it?

Maybe...but I personally think anything above 550m + would be good for it and not at all a disappointment (and not just because of the lame reason "oh any movie that makes 550m can not be considered a disappointment" but because that would be actually big and more than a lot of people's pre-year expectations for it).

This. It's AOU vs FF7 OS all over again. Before FF7 making crazy numbers OS a lot of people would be happy with AOU current OS number considering the unfavourable ER compared to TA. As soon as FF7 surpassed 1b OS people expected TA to do the same.

I still pick SW7 to win the year but I hope people wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't.