Bonenash

Tuesday Actuals: Jurassic World - 13.13M | Inside Out 13.04M

No it wasn't. It was right in line with rth's numbers for the weekend. Spillover and double features

Ok so Pitch Perfect a Universal movie managed to drop 30% better then any other film in the top 10 because of double features and spillover? Puhleaze. Of course you believe the Friday jump that was 50% higher then any other film also. 150% in June = blatant fudge. Every studio does it including Universal.

Ok so Pitch Perfect a Universal movie managed to drop 30% better then any other film in the top 10 because of double features and spillover? Puhleaze. Of course you believe the Friday jump that was 50% higher then any other film also. 150% in June = blatant fudge. Every studio does it including Universal.

Yes. Spillover and double features. Again, Universal's Saturday number was actually $100,000 less than rth's number.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

No way. What a horrific prediction.

You've had a lot of these wildly unreasonable predictions over the years though.

Underdogs is a dump delayed, what two years now?

You must be kidding me. Underdogs has zero competition until Hotel Transylvania 6 WEEKS later. The reason Epic grossed what it did was the lack of any kids fare in the marketplace. Underdogs will do the same.

• Like 1

If they cared enough to fudge the numbers, they sure as hell would not undershoot their own movie by over 4m and give up most media coverage about it breaking another record.

But whatever, if you want to believe everyone is dishonest and anything outside the expected range is "fudging", go ahead.

• Like 2

Why would Universal take money from a more impressive number and give it to a less impressive number that won't cross any additional important thresholds with said added number?

• Like 2

It's important to note that PP2 has done significantly better on Fridays than just about any other movie it's been up against.  It's Saturday bumps have been soft it's whole run.

They're called double features.

Expect the same this week for Ted 2 and JW.

It's not fudge if people actually go see both movies, you know.

The potential for fudging lies in the fact that the customers pay one ticket price for both movies, so the money has to be split between the two. I don't know how drive-in operators split the money if it's two different studios' movies, but if both features are the same studio, I presume that the entire receipt gets reported to the studio as one number, and the studio then decides how to split it. I guess it counts as fudging if it's not consistently split 50/50?

Why would Universal take money from a more impressive number and give it to a less impressive number that won't cross any additional important thresholds with said added number?

Because apparently it's insane to suggest that teaming up a movie with a BO monster will improve its numbers.

• Like 1

I've wondered this too. I know that there were allegations of fudging with Pirates 4/Tangled; I presume the suspicion was that Disney gave Tangled an over-50% split of the double-feature receipts to push it over $200 million?

But I don't understand why it would be done with PP2. If anything, you'd think Universal would have fudged by giving JW more than half of the double-feature gross to boost its numbers.

Edited by TServo2049

The potential for fudging lies in the fact that the customers pay one ticket price for both movies, so the money has to be split between the two. I don't know how drive-in operators split the money if it's two different studios' movies, but if both features are the same studio, I presume that the entire receipt gets reported to the studio as one number, and the studio then decides how to split it. I guess it counts as fudging if it's not consistently split 50/50?

Which again begs the question - why would Universal give more money to the weaker movie?

If anything, shouldn't people be suggesting that they'd give most of the DF money to JW? That's the movie getting headlines and smashing records.

But somehow, the movies it's paired with still improve. It's a real conundrum. 

I don't know if it's locked just yet. Apparently it'll lose most of its screens in China this weekend due to their blackout period, so it probably won't get much higher than 200m in China compared to F7's 390. Domestic more than makes up for that, but it leaves more up to how well it holds everywhere else.

Well that invalidates any attempt to compare OS totals between various movies.    The biggest OS market varies according to politics.

Ted 2 is coming in below $50. I've got a feeling.

People have spent a lot of money at the movies over the past few weeks.    Hard to keep spending at that rate.

Speaking of Star Wars...

"Star Wars" actor Jake Lloyd has been struggling with the Dark Side for some time, according to a report. 

The 26-year-old former child actor, who remained in jail Tuesday, suffers from serious mental health issues and attacked his mom a few months ago after going off his meds, TMZ reports. 

anakin22n-7-web.jpg

The ex-actor's mom, Lisa, told the site Lloyd came after her at her home in Indianapolis on March 26 in a frenzy brought on by his struggles with schizophrenia. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/dash-cam-footage-shows-jake-lloyd-chase-article-1.2267949

That guy who played Jar Jar probably thanks his lucky stars that no one knows what he looks like.

That's why i'm not a fan of Pixar, they have to disguise it.

That was a figure of speech.    Pixar just makes movies.   If anyone assumes animation is "for kids" that's their bias talking and it would seem like a "disguise" to them when they discovered the movie can appeal to all ages.

In other news, Ultron crossed $450M DOM with today's total. Small victories for Stark and Co.

Small victory?     That's one heck of a massive "small victory"!

I've wondered this too. I know that there were allegations of fudging with Pirates 4/Tangled; I presume the suspicion was that Disney gave Tangled an over-50% split of the double-feature receipts to push it over $200 million?

ah so Pirates 4 actually made 1 billion domestically  :o  :o  :o

I thought the revenue wasn't even split. I thought it was counted entirely for each movie. So if it made $1m from a double feature, that $1m would be counted twice. Fraudulent accounting for sure, but then again look at how Hollywood allocates supposed costs on their balance sheets.

• Like 1

Apparently, according to Rth, studios do not split double-feature receipts. Both movies are given the full gross from double features attributed to them.

• Like 3